Monk Morality?

I'm sorry if this question is annoying to everyone by virtue of sheer
ignorance, but I'm fairly new to Nethack. Here it comes:

I'm playing as a chaotic human monk currently, and it's my first monk.
I'm enjoying the games thus far, and am very pleased with my character,
save that when ever I eat something made of meat...

"You feel guilty. You finish **whatever it was that I just ate**."

Why do I feel guilty? I can't seem to figure out why, as the monster
was hostile before it died. I don't feel guilty when I eat, for
example, a lichen, or a mold corpse.

The final question is this: are monks vegetarian?

Alright, thanks. I think I'm going to keep eating meat just so I know
the consequences, though.

On 4 Aug 2005 19:10:05 -0700, Garbage.Boxes@gmail.com wrote:

>I'm sorry if this question is annoying to everyone by virtue of sheer
>ignorance, but I'm fairly new to Nethack. Here it comes:
>
>I'm playing as a chaotic human monk currently, and it's my first monk.
>I'm enjoying the games thus far, and am very pleased with my character,
>save that when ever I eat something made of meat...

[...]
>I don't feel guilty when I eat, for
>example, a lichen, or a mold corpse.
>
>The final question is this: are monks vegetarian?

Basically, yes.

On Fri, 4 Aug 2005 Garbage.Boxes@gmail.com wrote:

> The final question is this: are monks vegetarian?

Yes. What forms part of a vegetarian diet is explained in Section 8 of the
guidebook.

--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Alright. I've read the guidebook, but obviously not carefully enough.
Sorry for bothering you guys.

Garbage.Boxes@gmail.com wrote:

> Alright. I've read the guidebook, but obviously not carefully enough.

Even if it is explained in the section on vegetarianism that monks are
expected to be vegetarian, I would have expected that with the
description of the monk, myself.

> Sorry for bothering you guys.

Don't apologise.

Boudewijn.