Gehennom (Do dooo de do do)

How exactly do you pronounce "Gehennom"?

Assuming it sounds nothing like the "Mernermerner" song (or, for that
matter, if it does), how do I get that blasted song out of my head?

Gehennom.
Do Doo de do
Gehennom.
Do do de do.
Gehennom
Do doo de do do, de do do, de do de do de do do dooo, do.

Martin Read wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> >How exactly do you pronounce "Gehennom"?
>
> Hard 'g' (like in "garden"), short 'e's (like in "head", "pet"), and
> pronounce the 'h'.
>
> >Assuming it sounds nothing like the "Mernermerner" song (or, for that
> >matter, if it does), how do I get that blasted song out of my head?
>
> BTW: your song doesn't scan :)
>
> Muhnah-muhnah has four beats, Gehennom has three.

Not the way I pronounce it:

Gehhemnenmom
Do doo de do do
etc

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> How exactly do you pronounce "Gehennom"?
>
> Assuming it sounds nothing like the "Mernermerner" song (or, for that
> matter, if it does), how do I get that blasted song out of my head?

Got any Mind Flayers handy?

-K

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> How exactly do you pronounce "Gehennom"?
>
> Assuming it sounds nothing like the "Mernermerner" song (or, for that
> matter, if it does), how do I get that blasted song out of my head?

Hmmm, sing something else?
That nethack song I've seen somwhere can really stick in your head
also:
"I see a red d and I want to play netha-ack" (to the tune of Paint it
black by the rolling stones).

Clemence

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Martin Read wrote:
> > dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>
> >> How exactly do you pronounce "Gehennom"?
>
> > Hard 'g' (like in "garden"), short 'e's (like in "head", "pet"), and
> > pronounce the 'h'.
>
> I believe the first "e" is pronounced like the "e" in "garden".

Which syllable gets the stress?

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>How exactly do you pronounce "Gehennom"?

Hard 'g' (like in "garden"), short 'e's (like in "head", "pet"), and
pronounce the 'h'.

>Assuming it sounds nothing like the "Mernermerner" song (or, for that
>matter, if it does), how do I get that blasted song out of my head?

BTW: your song doesn't scan :)

Muhnah-muhnah has four beats, Gehennom has three.
illusion/kinetics controlling is love

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

micromoog wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> Martin Read wrote:

>>> Hard 'g' (like in "garden"), short 'e's (like in "head", "pet"), and
>>> pronounce the 'h'.

>> I believe the first "e" is pronounced like the "e" in "garden".

> Which syllable gets the stress?

The second: guh-HEN-nom

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

From: http://www.bbspot.com/News/2004/10/play_nethack.html

Play Nethack
By Francisco Rangel

(To the tune of Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones)

I see a red D and I want to play nethack
Go down to Gehennom and bring the trinket back
I see the grid bugs bite, the Kop runs with a hose
I light my magic lamp and so the darkness goes

Drop stuff on altars but they're cursed so they glow black
I stash my scrolls and potions in an oilskin sack
I see corpses all around, I'll eat them right away
Hope I get intrinsics, hope my god will let me pray

Sit on a throne and get to genocide some L's
The Oracle will speak, and the shopkeeper sells
Get a prize from Sokoban and then on to clear the quest
Kill Medusa, find the castle, open up that chest

The Valley of the Dead, and David's Treasure Zoo
I'll visit Vlad and get the Candelabrum too
If I look hard enough for the vibrating square
I'll kill the wizard, get the Book, and I'll be there

I'll get the amulet and make a run for it
With demons on my tail, I hope I don't get hit
Go through the planes and reach the altars at the end
I'll sacrifice the amulet and I'll ascend

I wanna beat this game, it's so hard, cannot save, can't restart
I'll go to Gehennom, with my pet by my side
Don't eat the food that's tainted, tainted, tainted, or you'll die, yeah!

"BWIGLEY" <bwigley@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Play Nethack
> By Francisco Rangel
> (To the tune of Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones)
> [...]
> I wanna beat this game, it's so hard, cannot save,
> can't restart

Hmm, did he write this before NetHack supported saved games?

P.

Paul E Collins wrote:
> "BWIGLEY" <bwigley@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>Play Nethack
>>By Francisco Rangel
>>(To the tune of Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones)
>>[...]
>>I wanna beat this game, it's so hard, cannot save,
>>can't restart
>

> Hmm, did he write this before NetHack supported saved games?

nethack's always supported saved games, AFAIK. hack did, at any
rate, and I doubt the support was dropped and restored between then and
now.

However, nethack doesn't save games in the way that the term is
usually understood. Most games, once you've saved a game, it's saved
forever, or at least until you explicitly delete or overwrite it, and
you can continue playing after saving your game. If you die, you can
fall back to the saved game and try again.

nethack quits the game when you save, and destroys the save when
you restore from it, which makes it basically just a glorified pause
button. And attempting to circumvent that, to make the savegames act
like every other game's savegames, is called "savescumming" and treated
as cheating. So, while it might not be strictly accurate to say that you
can't save in nethack, it's true for most intents and purposes.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

"John Campbell" <jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> wrote:

> > > I wanna beat this game, it's so hard, cannot save,
> > > can't restart
> >
> > Hmm, did he write this before NetHack supported saved games?
>
> nethack's always supported saved games, AFAIK. [...]
> However, nethack doesn't save games in the way that the term is
> usually understood. [...] nethack quits the game when you save, and
> destroys the save when you restore from it

Ah, yeah, I knew that but apparently wasn't thinking straight.

Mind you, when he says he can't save *or* restart, perhaps it just
means that he's too deeply involved in his game even to be able to
stop playing temporarily...

P.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Martin Read wrote:
>> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>
>>> How exactly do you pronounce "Gehennom"?
>
>> Hard 'g' (like in "garden"), short 'e's (like in "head", "pet"), and
>> pronounce the 'h'.
>
> I believe the first "e" is pronounced like the "e" in "garden".

Hmm, I've always pronounced it more like Martin suggests, without making
the 'e' into a schwa. I don't currently have any sources that support one
way or the other, though.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> Martin Read wrote:

>>> Hard 'g' (like in "garden"), short 'e's (like in "head", "pet"), and
>>> pronounce the 'h'.

>> I believe the first "e" is pronounced like the "e" in "garden".

> Hmm, I've always pronounced it more like Martin suggests, without
> making the 'e' into a schwa. I don't currently have any sources that
> support one way or the other, though.

Checking my Webster helps a bit (but note that it doesn't list Gehennom,
but Gehenna, the plural).

It gives as pronunciation "gihénx" (the x is actually an up-side-down e,
known as sjwa), where the pronunciation is:

g as in .g.oat, bi.gg.er, ho.g.
i as in f.i.sh, k.i.tten, corros.i.ve
h as in .h.ouse, be.h.ind
é as in .e.gg, .e.xit, requ.e.st (stress on this syllable)
n as in .n.ight, trai.n., ca.n.al
x as in .a.djust, b.a.cill.u.s, col.o.ny

My Dutch dictionary mentions the origin: Hebrew "gehinnôm"), but
mentions no pronunciation for either Dutch "Gehenna", nor the Hebrew
version.

It also mentions that the original meaning was probably the
Ben-Hinnomsvalley near Jerusalem, where the early Israelites offered
their children to Moloch (sic!). Only later did the meaning shift to
hel, the pits of het, the place where those stay that have lost their
God.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

the origin is probably from the islamic version of hell, which is
pronounced call je-henn-numm,

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Clemence Magnien wrote:

>>How exactly do you pronounce "Gehennom"?
>>
>>Assuming it sounds nothing like the "Mernermerner" song (or, for that
>>matter, if it does), how do I get that blasted song out of my head?
>
> Hmmm, sing something else?
> That nethack song I've seen somwhere can really stick in your head
> also:
> "I see a red d and I want to play netha-ack" (to the tune of Paint it
> black by the rolling stones).

I'm always reminded of that thing when I "hear the footsteps of a guard
on patrol" even though it doesn't fit exactly unless I mentally insert a
"who's" after "guard".

king of yasd wrote:

> the origin is probably from the islamic version of hell, which is
> pronounced call je-henn-numm,

Not very likely, since both torah (judaism) and bible (christianity) are
older than the koran (muslemism).

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me