Connecting HP Laserjet 6P via USB lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudieB

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hello,

HP Laserjet 6P via USB lead.

I am trying to connect an HP 6P Laserjet to a laptop which uses Windows 7 via a USB lead. The printer installs but jobs are getting stuck in the print queue. I am clearing the spooler ok, have restarted, but I still cannot get jobs to print. Maybe I need to change a setting? Has anyone any ideas please?

I downloaded the driver in the last couple of days, so that's up to date - and the printer will work when connected to our PC via the old style 21(?) pin type lead - but that won't print using the USB lead either.

Thanks Judie

So you essentially are using a Serial-to-USB adapter to make the connection to your computer correct? If the printer is that dated you may be out of luck in getting full functionality of the printer.

According to HP's support site, the printer lost compatibility with their drivers ending with Windows XP and printer functionality in 7 is provided by the OS itself.

Looks like it might be time to replace the printer.

JudieB

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Thank you for your response. In fact, I get exactly the same problem when I connect the 6P printer to an XP computer as described in my original message - which is why I was hoping there might be a solution.

I accept and understand what you say about Windows 7 - but do you know if I should be able to get it working with a computer using XP? It wouldn't be the ideal situation, but it would help.

Thanks
Judie

JudieB

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hi - as I've not had a response, it has been suggested I post up further information. However, there is not a lot more I can add - but I really would like to get this problem resolved and get this printer working with at least the XP machine if not Windows 7.

Can anyone help please? (Trying to link HP 6P printer via usb cable to XP (and preferably windows 7 too) - have downloaded driver recently, so that's up to date and have carried out recommendations given so far. Would appreciate further assistance please.

Hi :)

I own computer shops...

We STOPPED selling those USB/PARALLEL converters long ago as the HUGE difference in speed between the two device types caused most of them to NOT WORK...

Particularly with PRINTERS..... :(

NEW printer time.... an HP6 is centuries old lol...

All the best Brett :)

JudieB

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Well, it might be a dinosaur, but my good ol' 6P has churned out some great stuff for me and I'd love to keep it going. But it sounds like end of the road with you guys - I'll keep searching. Thanks for trying.

pitaron

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
For me works the solution as below:
1. connect usb to parallel port adapter and wait for its driver installation
2. Add Printer -> Add local printer -> Use existing port USB001 (Virtual Printer Port for USB)
3. Choose HP, then press Windows Update button
4. Wait up to several minutes, then you should have your printer at the list
5. Choose your printer from the list
6. Install
7. Use your printer :)

REMARK: by the end of installation process computer asks if you want to print the test page - it hasn't worked for me, but afterwards everythings works fine.

Good luck! I also like my Laser Jet 6P printer and I am not going to change it :)

JudieB

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Thanks very much for this - I'm on holiday at present, but will give it a go as soon as I'm back.

I really appreciate your help and will keep my fingers crossed!
Many thanks
BFN
Judie

stevedmc

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
My advice is to ditch the USB adapter, purchase a Jet Direct, and install the thing as a network printer. Of course, you have to have a network to do this.

Don't listen to the people who tell you an HP 6P is a trash printer. The print engine for it is based on the Laserjet III driver and you will never have compatibility issues with any OS because of this. You will of course have connectivity issues as parallel devices were phased out years ago.

The good news is that networks will be around for a long time.

This is what you need.

1. HP Jetdirect 300x - You can find these on eBay for less than $20 including shipping. I got mine used for $15.
2. IEEE Centronics to Parallel printer cable (This is the old school cable you used to use to hook up printers)
3. Network Cable
4. Home network. A wireless router with ethernet ports will do fine.

Instructions:
1. Take the Jet Direct 300x and connect it to your printer using the printer cable.
2. Connect the Jet Direct to your wireless router with an ethernet/network cable.
3. Don't forget to plug power into the Jet Direct. lol
4. On the top Jet Direct there is a light/button. I believe this button will light up green. Press it.
5. You Laserjet 6P will print two configuration pages. The first page will have an IP address somewhere on it. This is the IP address of your Jet Direct.
The following instructions are for Windows XP. I do not have Windows 7 on my home computer so I can't advice on the steps word for word.
6. On your computer click on start, control panel, printers and faxes.
7. Click on add printer.
8. Click next.
9. Select Local printer attached to this computer. Make sure Automatically detect IS NOT CHECKED. Do not select the network printer option either. Only select "Local printer attached to this computer".
10. Select "Create a new port".
11. Using the drop down menu select "Standard TCP/IP Port".
12. Click next twice.
13. Enter the IP address from the page your printed out earlier.
14. Now select your printer driver from the list and click next to install.
15. You should be familiar with the rest of the steps.

Smile and enjoy your worry free printing. Its a shame the computer shop owner guru couldn't help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.