YASD in the mines

Hi All,

I was playing a wizard (7th level, 28 hit points, woohoo!) when I died
in the Mines (below Minetown, at least). This is going to make it rough
for the next time I hit that level. Pets when I died:

.. 1 large dog
.. 1 Olog-Hai
.. 1 Fire Giant
.. 1 Pit Fiend

This going be (not)fun for the next time.

(How'd it happen? I wasn't paying attention and a leucrotta mauled me.
No, my pets weren't *quite* close enough to hide behind.)

Keith

Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was playing a wizard (7th level, 28 hit points, woohoo!) when I died
> in the Mines (below Minetown, at least). This is going to make it rough
> for the next time I hit that level. Pets when I died:
>
> . 1 large dog
> . 1 Olog-Hai
> . 1 Fire Giant
> . 1 Pit Fiend
>
> This going be (not)fun for the next time.
>

> (How'd it happen? I wasn't paying attention and a leucrotta mauled me.
> No, my pets weren't *quite* close enough to hide behind.)

Oh, and to make it more insulting for whoever cleans this up, I'd
stashed a bunch of stuff -- all my gold, my spellbooks, most of my wands
and scrolls -- two levels up. So, for defeating or avoiding my ghost
and these monsters, you get: a handful of wands and a magic marker. And
three oil lamps.

Well, okay. And an unenchanted silver sabre.

Keith

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in

> Hi All,
>
> I was playing a wizard (7th level, 28 hit points, woohoo!) when I died
> in the Mines (below Minetown, at least). This is going to make it rough
> for the next time I hit that level. Pets when I died:
>
> . 1 large dog
> . 1 Olog-Hai
> . 1 Fire Giant
> . 1 Pit Fiend
>
> This going be (not)fun for the next time.
>

> (How'd it happen? I wasn't paying attention and a leucrotta mauled me.
> No, my pets weren't *quite* close enough to hide behind.)
>

> Keith

what was your a.c. BTW I prefer to do sokoban before the mines. Your a.c.
should be below -5 to do what you tried. Speed helps too. BTW I've been
killed I don't know how many times by lecrotta and mumaks myself.

chuck <chucko@nil.car> wrote:
> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was playing a wizard (7th level, 28 hit points, woohoo!) when I died
>> in the Mines (below Minetown, at least). This is going to make it rough
>> for the next time I hit that level. Pets when I died:
>>
>> . 1 large dog
>> . 1 Olog-Hai
>> . 1 Fire Giant
>> . 1 Pit Fiend
>>
>> This going be (not)fun for the next time.
>>

>> (How'd it happen? I wasn't paying attention and a leucrotta mauled me.
>> No, my pets weren't *quite* close enough to hide behind.)
>
> what was your a.c. BTW I prefer to do sokoban before the mines. Your
> a.c. should be below -5 to do what you tried. Speed helps too. BTW
> I've been killed I don't know how many times by lecrotta and mumaks
> myself.

Nowhere near that low. Since I wasn't actually fighting by that point I
really should've been wearing the (dwarven|elven) mithril I'd found.
Spellcasting penalties don't matter if you're not casting spells.

I can usually get away with Mines End with AC around 0-3 (with a little
nervousness), with a simple pet.

The direction I go depends on how the game's going. I'll go to Minetown
if I feel I need a store or an altar (neither of which I'd found by that
point). With the pets I had I shouldn't have had a problem. It was
*entirely* my fault for getting ahead of them (yes, I knew better... I
don't even know why I did that).

Keith

"chuck" <chucko@nil.car> wrote in message
> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I was playing a wizard (7th level, 28 hit points, woohoo!) when I died
> > in the Mines (below Minetown, at least). This is going to make it rough
> > for the next time I hit that level. Pets when I died:
> >
> > . 1 large dog
> > . 1 Olog-Hai
> > . 1 Fire Giant
> > . 1 Pit Fiend
> >
> > This going be (not)fun for the next time.
> >

> > (How'd it happen? I wasn't paying attention and a leucrotta mauled me.
> > No, my pets weren't *quite* close enough to hide behind.)
> >

> > Keith
>
> what was your a.c. BTW I prefer to do sokoban before the mines.

Hmmm. I always do the mines as much as possible straight away(if it is
light). I use my dog/cat to kill dwarves and get their nice armor, then I
can usually have my A.C down to -1 - -10 in the first 4 levels. I always
leave and do sokobon as soon as I explore Minetown, and things usually seem
to work out.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"BWIGLEY" <bwigley@xtra.co.nz> wrote in

> "chuck" <chucko@nil.car> wrote in message
>> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> wrote in
>>
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I was playing a wizard (7th level, 28 hit points, woohoo!) when I died
>> > in the Mines (below Minetown, at least). This is going to make it rough
>> > for the next time I hit that level. Pets when I died:
>> >
>> > . 1 large dog
>> > . 1 Olog-Hai
>> > . 1 Fire Giant
>> > . 1 Pit Fiend
>> >
>> > This going be (not)fun for the next time.
>> >

>> > (How'd it happen? I wasn't paying attention and a leucrotta mauled me.
>> > No, my pets weren't *quite* close enough to hide behind.)
>> >

>> > Keith
>>
>> what was your a.c. BTW I prefer to do sokoban before the mines.
>
> Hmmm. I always do the mines as much as possible straight away(if it is
> light). I use my dog/cat to kill dwarves and get their nice armor, then I
> can usually have my A.C down to -1 - -10 in the first 4 levels. I always
> leave and do sokobon as soon as I explore Minetown, and things usually seem
> to work out.

I meant after minetown i.e to the bottom of the mines, but I agree otherwise.