Hearse: Windows client 1.0.6c released.

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

A new version of the Windows Hearse client is now available from
http://hearse.krollmark.com. This consists of very minor bugfixes to
the existing version, and is not a required upgrade.

Changelog follows.

-- A.

===
Changes:
- Hearse now exits without contacting the server after first signup,
to allow user to edit the configuration file.
- Increased extra bones limit and threshold from 4 to 5

New:
- Option for user to be asked to press a key after Hearse is finished
(for people who want to run it directly from the Windows GUI)

Bugfixes:
- Fixed case where client could crash if user had no bones, was set up
to ask for extra bones, and the save file that was examined to determine
the version of Nethack had escaped characters in its name.
- If the user edited the save files directory config entry, some
errors in the directory name would not be corrected.
- Give better error message if the user has an invalid bones directory
name.

Documentation:
- Include changelog
- How to set up Hearse to run on a removable drive

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

Alexis wrote:
> A new version of the Windows Hearse client is now available

Thanks Alexis, hearse just keeps getting better and better.

> Documentation:
> - How to set up Hearse to run on a removable drive

[quote from aforementioned docs]
If you are running Hearse from a removable drive (e.g. a USB keychain
drive), make sure that the bones and save directory entries don't refer
to a specific drive. The INI file will initially refer to whatever
drive Hearse is first run from. Your USB drive may be assigned a
different drive letter when used on a different system, so Hearse may
end up attempting to put extra bones files on those drives. Setting
your directory entries to, for example, \games\nethack rather than
e:\games\nethack will work fine.
[/quote]

I run hearse out the same directory as my slashem.exe, savegames and
bonesfiles on my USB drive. On one machine, the path is E:\SlashEM
0.0.7E7 and on another machine I use it's F:\SlashEM 0.0.7E7

Now if I set the ini file to say Bones directory = SlashEM 0.0.7E7\
will it start looking in E:\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\ and
F:\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\ respectively on those machines/
Should I leave the
Bones directory = line blank, to tell it to look in the working
directory?

Alexis wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> >
> > Alexis wrote:

> > I run hearse out the same directory as my slashem.exe, savegames and
> > bonesfiles on my USB drive. On one machine, the path is E:\SlashEM
> > 0.0.7E7 and on another machine I use it's F:\SlashEM 0.0.7E7
> >
> > Now if I set the ini file to say Bones directory = SlashEM 0.0.7E7\
> > will it start looking in E:\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\ and
> > F:\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\ respectively on those machines/
> > Should I leave the
> > Bones directory = line blank, to tell it to look in the working
> > directory?
>
> If you leave the bones directory blank it'll assume that you don't know
> what you're doing and, on next run, it'll populate that field with
> whatever directory Hearse is run from.
>
> If you set the Bones directory = \SlashEM 0.0.7E7 (or \SlashEM 0.07E7\)
> then it should do what you want.

That makes sense... Sneaky. Thanks.

> I probably should add code to check if the user is referring explicitly
> to a removable drive and warn them... and an option to disable the
> warning for people who are using floppies or whatnot.

Or perhaps just some sort of "always run from present working
directory" option, that, if set to "yes", overwrides the "Bones
directory =" line.

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> Alexis wrote:
> > A new version of the Windows Hearse client is now available
>
> Thanks Alexis, hearse just keeps getting better and better.

That's 'cos people keep emailing me with suggestions!

Sadly I'm going to have less free time after the summer, so people
should make their suggestions now, else they'll probably have to wait a
year until I have the time to act on them again :)

> I run hearse out the same directory as my slashem.exe, savegames and
> bonesfiles on my USB drive. On one machine, the path is E:\SlashEM
> 0.0.7E7 and on another machine I use it's F:\SlashEM 0.0.7E7
>
> Now if I set the ini file to say Bones directory = SlashEM 0.0.7E7\
> will it start looking in E:\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\ and
> F:\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\SlashEM 0.0.7E7\ respectively on those machines/
> Should I leave the
> Bones directory = line blank, to tell it to look in the working
> directory?

If you leave the bones directory blank it'll assume that you don't know
what you're doing and, on next run, it'll populate that field with
whatever directory Hearse is run from.

If you set the Bones directory = \SlashEM 0.0.7E7 (or \SlashEM 0.07E7\)
then it should do what you want.

I probably should add code to check if the user is referring explicitly
to a removable drive and warn them... and an option to disable the
warning for people who are using floppies or whatnot.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> Alexis wrote:
> > I probably should add code to check if the user is referring explicitly
> > to a removable drive and warn them... and an option to disable the
> > warning for people who are using floppies or whatnot.
>
> Or perhaps just some sort of "always run from present working
> directory" option, that, if set to "yes", overwrides the "Bones
> directory =" line.

Hmmm, that might be a better way of handling it - some sort of option
the user can set if they are running Hearse from a removable drive, that
reset the drive letter of the bones/saves directories to the current
drive on each run.

Cheers,

-- A.

--

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
Alexis <me@privacy.net> wrote

>A new version of the Windows Hearse client is now available from
>http://hearse.krollmark.com. This consists of very minor bugfixes to
>the existing version, and is not a required upgrade.
>
>Changelog follows.
>
>-- A.
>
>===
>Changes:
> - Hearse now exits without contacting the server after first signup,
>to allow user to edit the configuration file.
> - Increased extra bones limit and threshold from 4 to 5
>
>New:
> - Option for user to be asked to press a key after Hearse is finished
>(for people who want to run it directly from the Windows GUI)
>
>Bugfixes:
> - Fixed case where client could crash if user had no bones, was set up
>to ask for extra bones, and the save file that was examined to determine
>the version of Nethack had escaped characters in its name.
> - If the user edited the save files directory config entry, some
>errors in the directory name would not be corrected.
> - Give better error message if the user has an invalid bones directory
>name.
>
>Documentation:
> - Include changelog
> - How to set up Hearse to run on a removable drive

Can I have bones in more than one directory? (i.e. a Nethack bones and a
Slash'em bones directory)
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

jerk-o@yomomma.org wrote:
> Can I have bones in more than one directory? (i.e. a Nethack bones and a
> Slash'em bones directory)

Just copy hearse.exe and hearse.ini over to your new directory and edit
the INI file appropriately. Alternatively, if you don't mind losing
your position in the stats tables, just copy hearse.exe to the new
directory and run it - it'll take you through setup and create you a new
user.

HTH

-- A.