AMD & DFI problem

G

my computer is suffering with a almost incurable problem of hanging up within 5 min of startup. i have changed every component in the system atleast thrice but the problem of freezing over just doesn't leave me. it's more pronounced if i set my ram to it's default 133MHz setting with the system freezing within 5 min & within 15 min if it's set at 100MHz. this problem mainly occurs when i try any graphics intesive application viz games etc or open up a number of applications with a garanteed lockup (esp. in 3dmark2000). i m enclosing my system config. plz letme know in case u have any suggestions.

AMD Athlon 750 (i have no idea how to diff bet an oem t-bird & original but i did come bundled with the m/b & fan)
DFI AK74SC
2x128MB PC133 CAS3 NCP (Lifetime Warranty)
nVidia Geforce2 Mx 32MB
Power Supply 300W
Samsung Hdd 40GB

Windows 2000 Prof & Windows Millenium
i'll apperciate it if u can help me out

Thanks
Skelvish

P.S. - yesterday i tried disabling L2 Cache ECC from bios. it seems to have increased the stability a lot.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is it me or is every other post a AMD problem like this?

My god people wake up and realize whats going on. AMD is pushing garbage out the door and you guys write it off that "AMD Rocks" and "What incompatabilities?" well, there are hundreds of posts like this and its total BS that you deny that these problems exist.

Skelvish, what the AMD lemmings are saying is your Full of [-peep-] and AMD has no such problems and its your imagination. You are obviously making this up.

GL on getting help, you got what you paid for. sure pays to be cheap huh?

pcilliterate

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
Well Fugger, instead of criticizing us poor mortals hows about helping this guy with his problem because I have the same thing happening and Iam interested in genuine help.
Not interested in your opinions which CPU is better and if you can read he never even mentioned who is better. some of us just wanted a new system that works and most of us dont want to spend more ontop of what we have allready. If this is the only intelligent answer you can come up with Iam sure I speak for the rest of us, WE DON'T WANNA HEAR IT!
Do you work for Intel or what? along with a few others too.hehe
Yes I may have been suckered into a flame! lol

G

I believe the only explaination for this is that the amount of dust in the memory silicon chips exceeds 400 grams. You must have had your computer in a room that is very hot, because if the memory gets very hot spaces become available for dust to get into the silicon chips, therefore you have too much dust. I believe that extra terrestrials are to blame for this because 400 (the amount of dust in your silicon chips) divided by five is 80. The signifigance of 80 is that one of the first processors, the 8086 has the number 80 in it, and the processors works with the memory. Therefore I believe the only explaination for this is that extra terrestrials are to blame.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, Eric ...

I've been trying to email your cave. What, still no ADSL? Damned Tibetan monks ... always hogging all the bandwidth playing Everquest.

I've got a couple of questions, and I could really use your advice. Late yesterday afternoon, my dogs began barking really loud ... nearly a frantic, frenzied sound. Looking out the window, I observed what appears to be a crop circle where my work shed used to be. That's odd, I thought, because the only crop I've ever tried to grow was some killer Hawaiian Pine-Nut bud, which I destroyed in my enthusiasm with six quarts of Miracle-Gro and too many eggshells. How could something that quaint deserve a crop circle?

But that's not my question.

In the middle of the circle was a large rock, which looked as if it had been casually tossed about by the hand of a giant! That was too much for me! I'm ordinarily a very neat person, almost anal, really ... and so, with the help from several of my neighbors, we lassoed the offensive boulder with some rope, (all that's left of my belated hemp experiment) and moved it into a more aesthetic position. I just couldn't have my prime view of the interstate destroyed in such a manner.

This morning, to my horror, I discovered that the offensive Stonehengy-looking rock had apparently been moved again during the night back to the original, untidy position. What an outrage! I am literally frothing at the mouth, just at the thought of it.

The question. How can I make the damned thing hold still? Shall I set out cookies and milk for the aliens, like Santa Claus? The whole terrible, disturbing situation is like something from an episode of the Outer Limits, with Barbados-style Floating Coffins. But ... one of my many friends read your post, and suggested that the rock might be full of silicon particles that are being rendered inert by the powerful beams of force being emitted by his AMD processor from down the street, therefore upsetting the delicate balancing of the artifact within the crop circle.

If this is true ... are AMD processors ALSO made by aliens, (as well as large rocks), bent on mind-control, and the total eradication of the forces of nature throughout our planet? And if THAT is true (and irrelevantly, prevalently unavoidable) would you be a love, and please send me back my 1.2GHz Celeron? Some esthetic issues must be fought valiantly, fire with fire.

Give Amelia my love, and tell her not to worry; Julie and I cancelled our cruise to the Bermuda Triangle this year. The economy, ya know. But a quick jaunt through Belfast is still not out of the question. We do so love to laugh at the antics of the Black-Irish following a nice explosion.

Pet Asta for both of us, and give him a cookie. We recall how fond he is of the green ones.

Your pal,

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

G

A boulder that size cannot be moved by human power. I have since visited the site of the rock... the one face of the rock points directly to the north star!

I believe that the extra terrestrials from a planet(s) orbiting the north star have visited that area and left a marker in their place.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*shrug*
maybe you do have a dud chip, or dud cache on the chip.
go to where u got it and get a refund/replacement.

interesting that setting the ram to 100mhz made it more stable.
have you changed the motherboard too?

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!

G

Would any of this have anything to do with PSU and or CAS 2 or 3 ram, bios settings?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for update, Eric. But shame on you for not stopping in for lunch! I'll never hear the end of it from the old lady. (Ow, that's my ...) So much for being between a rock and hard place.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably a memory problem. If your memory is not up to spec, it won't work no matter how many times you replace it with the same thing. Try getting your memory from Crucial.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

lmao fugger did you ever stop to think about the countless numbers of amd users who have no problems at all? For all I know you could be the one posting these problems..
I had the same problem with my memory when I upgraded my classic athlon to a tbird. Generic memory can cause problems.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Maybe up the cpu voltage by .05v or .1v. What kind of ram are you using. If your pushing it at Cas2, is it cas2 or cas3? Your problem is limited to either the PSU (is it AMD approved) Ram, or CPU. That's my thought at least.

These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Instead of bashing <b>AMD</b> without any clue, you can help this guy's problem with your <b>computer's knowledge(!!!)</b>.
<b><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1</A></b>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Help! Attack Of The Giant Druids!

(So much for thinking that a little humor might distract the Fanatics from attacking each other.)

I guess there are not enough Tums in the world to stem the acidic tide of religious indignation between the two camps. Maybe if they all fell down dead we could get back to the main focus of this forum, which I <i>thought</i> was helping each other. Shame on me for entertaining such an asinine thought.

Toejam31

G

Well I have changed the cas to 3,3,3 in bios, it was at 3,3,2. This seems to have worked out so far. Whats the difference if i set them all to 2,2,2.?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your memory is too low a grade to work at that speed. If you had good enough memory, the difference would be between 0 and 7%, depending on how the application your using uses memory.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Imagine that, where are Fugger, ah heck, and their little mini-me to see that this was NOT an AMD problem, but a simple problem of running memory to fast????

These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary.

G

I noticed they have gone all quiet! lol. and there latest posts have been informative since.lol

FatBurger

Illustrious
A boulder that size cannot be moved by human power. I have since visited the site of the rock...

and so, with the help from several of my neighbors, we lassoed the offensive boulder with some rope, (all that's left of my belated hemp experiment) and moved it into a more aesthetic position.

Call the Enquirer. They might buy your BS from you.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You must check out coral castle outside of miami florida. was originally build in florida city and moved to homestead by 1 old man's love for a woman that did not want to marry him.

http://www.coralcastle.com/

I have seen this little park and there is no way 1 person could have moved those rocks and at the time, there were no big trucks, tractors, or cranes available to move them.

He claims to have moved them with knowledge and understand of natural forces. He did this all at night and away from spying neibhors. once people moved too close to him, he moved all his rocks. some the size of semi trucks were moved many miles away, yet no one saw him move anything.

Be sure yo check out the revolving door, its several tons and balanced with extreme precision.

The hinge that holds the door is unknown. military, and public researchers have tried to xray, and study it without any clue to how it works or was made to this day. The door is balanced so well a small child can easily push it open yet it weighs tons. All attempts to dismantle the door were denied and hopefully it will not be destroyed.

Anyway, try disabling PNP and try again. helps on the Asus boards.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ahh...and for the second time today, I feel like an idiot while Fugger makes a very interesting post.

This is getting kinda spooky.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.