Can't send mail if connected through MN-500

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi, I have the MN-500 router connected to my cable modem
with 2 PC's (one wired connection and one wireless) and
both were recently able to send/receive mail and access
the internet just fine. I recently installed a download
accellerator trial (GetRight Download Manager) on my
wired PC. After installing that, I am unable to send
mail normally from either PC... I get the error message
below about 10 time before it actually successfully sends
an email.

Note if I connect the wired PC directly to the internet
cable modem (bypassing the router) I can send mail no
problem.

The strange thing is that I have removed GetRight from my
PC and the problem persists... even on the PC where
GetRight was never installed. What could GetRight have
possibly changed on the router that would cause problems
with sending mail?

I've tried disabling all security and firewall
features on the router that I am aware of to no avail.

Outlook 2003 or Outlook Express Error when connected via
MN-500:

Task 'shawmail - Sending' reported error
(0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a
response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue
to receive this message, contact your server
administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Are you using fully qualified domain names?

ie pop3.broadband.rogers.com, and not simply pop3

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have the MN-500 router connected to my cable modem
> with 2 PC's (one wired connection and one wireless) and
> both were recently able to send/receive mail and access
> the internet just fine. I recently installed a download
> accellerator trial (GetRight Download Manager) on my
> wired PC. After installing that, I am unable to send
> mail normally from either PC... I get the error message
> below about 10 time before it actually successfully sends
> an email.
>
> Note if I connect the wired PC directly to the internet
> cable modem (bypassing the router) I can send mail no
> problem.
>
> The strange thing is that I have removed GetRight from my
> PC and the problem persists... even on the PC where
> GetRight was never installed. What could GetRight have
> possibly changed on the router that would cause problems
> with sending mail?
>
> I've tried disabling all security and firewall
> features on the router that I am aware of to no avail.
>
> Outlook 2003 or Outlook Express Error when connected via
> MN-500:
>
> Task 'shawmail - Sending' reported error
> (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a
> response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue
> to receive this message, contact your server
> administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

joker

Also since you installed get right you will need to install both
ad-aware and Spybot Search & destroy to remove the spyware that is now
on your computer.

Chris wrote:

> Hi, I have the MN-500 router connected to my cable modem
> with 2 PC's (one wired connection and one wireless) and
> both were recently able to send/receive mail and access
> the internet just fine. I recently installed a download
> accellerator trial (GetRight Download Manager) on my
> wired PC. After installing that, I am unable to send
> mail normally from either PC... I get the error message
> below about 10 time before it actually successfully sends
> an email.
>
> Note if I connect the wired PC directly to the internet
> cable modem (bypassing the router) I can send mail no
> problem.
>
> The strange thing is that I have removed GetRight from my
> PC and the problem persists... even on the PC where
> GetRight was never installed. What could GetRight have
> possibly changed on the router that would cause problems
> with sending mail?
>
> I've tried disabling all security and firewall
> features on the router that I am aware of to no avail.
>
> Outlook 2003 or Outlook Express Error when connected via
> MN-500:
>
> Task 'shawmail - Sending' reported error
> (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a
> response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue
> to receive this message, contact your server
> administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I should have mentioned that I am using fully qualified
domain names and there is no spyware (Get Right is one of
the few downloaders that doesn't install it). Although I
did recently go through a thorough spyware purge for
other reasons. There is no spyware on my system now as
reported by at least 4 different anti-spyware tools.
Remember the PC without GetRight is also having the
problem (no spyware there either by the way). The common
denominator is the router.

There is definitely something that got screwed in the
router... What could it be? (It is up to date with
firmware also).

Thanks.

I think one important clue here (although useless to me)
is that the mail will send after several unsuccessful
attempts by Outlook (or Outlook Express)... It just takes
it several minutes of constantly re-trying for it to go.

With all this information, have you contacted your Internet Service Provider
to see if they are having issues? Have your tried changing your time-out
settings? You're using the web-based newsgroup interface to post here, but
do you experience any timing out accessing newsgroups through Outlook
Express?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

>I should have mentioned that I am using fully qualified
> domain names and there is no spyware (Get Right is one of
> the few downloaders that doesn't install it). Although I
> did recently go through a thorough spyware purge for
> other reasons. There is no spyware on my system now as
> reported by at least 4 different anti-spyware tools.
> Remember the PC without GetRight is also having the
> problem (no spyware there either by the way). The common
> denominator is the router.
>
> There is definitely something that got screwed in the
> router... What could it be? (It is up to date with
> firmware also).
>
> Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS