A really strange Valley (at NAO)

Entered the Valley of the Dead and found it empty!
Never thought it could become a bones level. And never found one before.
Then, "You see here a statue of the Wizard of Yendor." Wow!

Finally, "You see here a statue of a valkyrie named Sangrida."
Used my mattock to smash it and found...

a long sword named Excalibur
a war hammer named Mjollnir
a pair of gauntlets of power
a polished silver shield
a gray dragon scale mail
a pair of speed boots
a bag called holding
an opera cloak
a lamp called magic lamp
a glass orb named The Orb of Fate (transformed to ordinary orb?)
the Amulet of Yendor (transformed to cheap imitation, I guess)
a cockatrice corpse (HEHEHE)

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Entered the Valley of the Dead and found it empty!
> Never thought it could become a bones level. And never found one before.
> Then, "You see here a statue of the Wizard of Yendor." Wow!
>
> Finally, "You see here a statue of a valkyrie named Sangrida."

I was online in #nethack when Sangrida's death was reported. You got
bones from a player that was on the way back up with the Amulet of
Yendor, but died by falling through one of the Castle trapdoors while
wielding a cockatrice corpse.

My very first ascendable char was a Valkyrie that died in the same
manner, but hadn't intended to descend below the castle when it
happened, so that bones had a full Valley to go with the statue ;)

Another player's misfortune proves to be your good fortune, as well as a
reminder of the almost countless ways that foo-trices can be deadly!

-Ken

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Entered the Valley of the Dead and found it empty!
> Never thought it could become a bones level. And never found one before.
> Then, "You see here a statue of the Wizard of Yendor." Wow!
>
> Finally, "You see here a statue of a valkyrie named Sangrida."
> Used my mattock to smash it and found...
>
> a long sword named Excalibur
> a war hammer named Mjollnir
> a pair of gauntlets of power
> a polished silver shield
> a gray dragon scale mail
> a pair of speed boots
> a bag called holding
> an opera cloak
> a lamp called magic lamp
> a glass orb named The Orb of Fate (transformed to ordinary orb?)

Only if you're a valkyrie. Bonesfile Quest artifacts for classes
other than your own remain artifacts. Though you won't be able to pick
it up if your alignment doesn't match.

Actually, that brings up a question I was wondering about... I'm
assuming from the presence of Excalibur that Sangrida was lawful. The
Orb of Fate is normally neutral, but is changed to lawful for lawful
valkyries. Is the Orb from her statue lawful or neutral?

I had a similar situation come up in one of my games, where a
chaotic wizard left bones after collecting the (normally neutral) Eye. I
never figured out the answer, because the character that ultimately
found the wizard's bones was a samurai, and couldn't touch the Eye
regardless (and leaving it there on the floor hurt me deep inside).

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:44:25 GMT, John Campbell <jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> wrote:

> I had a similar situation come up in one of my games, where a
>chaotic wizard left bones after collecting the (normally neutral) Eye. I
>never figured out the answer, because the character that ultimately
>found the wizard's bones was a samurai, and couldn't touch the Eye
>regardless (and leaving it there on the floor hurt me deep inside).

Convert your character to chaotic by same race sacrifice on an altar.
Kiss your divine protection goodbye, though.

Jove

Ken Cuvelier wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
>> Finally, "You see here a statue of a valkyrie named Sangrida."
>> [ bones with lots of good stuff ]
>
> Another player's misfortune proves to be your good fortune,

Not sure about that; I tend to overload myself and become an easy victim.
;-)

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Entered the Valley of the Dead and found it empty!
> Never thought it could become a bones level. And never found one before.
> Then, "You see here a statue of the Wizard of Yendor." Wow!
>
> Finally, "You see here a statue of a valkyrie named Sangrida."
> Used my mattock to smash it and found...
>
> a long sword named Excalibur
> a war hammer named Mjollnir
> a pair of gauntlets of power
> a polished silver shield
> a gray dragon scale mail
> a pair of speed boots
> a bag called holding
> an opera cloak
> a lamp called magic lamp
> a glass orb named The Orb of Fate (transformed to ordinary orb?)
> the Amulet of Yendor (transformed to cheap imitation, I guess)
> a cockatrice corpse (HEHEHE)

Was there an incubus around?

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Topi Linkala wrote:

>> Finally, "You see here a statue of a valkyrie named Sangrida."
>> Used my mattock to smash it and found...
>>
>> a cockatrice corpse (HEHEHE)
>
> Was there an incubus around?

I've not seen one; though one of my three pets could have taken
one out. But wait... Ken's followup gives the explanation.

Janis

John Campbell wrote:

> Actually, that brings up a question I was wondering about... I'm
> assuming from the presence of Excalibur that Sangrida was lawful. The
> Orb of Fate is normally neutral, but is changed to lawful for lawful
> valkyries. Is the Orb from her statue lawful or neutral?

> I had a similar situation come up in one of my games, where a
> chaotic wizard left bones after collecting the (normally neutral) Eye. I
> never figured out the answer, because the character that ultimately
> found the wizard's bones was a samurai, and couldn't touch the Eye
> regardless (and leaving it there on the floor hurt me deep inside).

Neutral, going by a neutral archaeologist of mine who left the lawful
Grayswandir. It seems to revert to its canonical alignment.

Raisse, killed by touching Grayswandir

seraphim

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote in

> John Campbell wrote:
>
>> Actually, that brings up a question I was wondering about... I'm
>> assuming from the presence of Excalibur that Sangrida was lawful.
>> The Orb of Fate is normally neutral, but is changed to lawful for
>> lawful valkyries. Is the Orb from her statue lawful or neutral?
>

>> I had a similar situation come up in one of my games, where a
>> chaotic wizard left bones after collecting the (normally neutral)
>> Eye. I never figured out the answer, because the character that
>> ultimately found the wizard's bones was a samurai, and couldn't
>> touch the Eye regardless (and leaving it there on the floor hurt me
>> deep inside).
>
> Neutral, going by a neutral archaeologist of mine who left the
> lawful Grayswandir. It seems to revert to its canonical alignment.

I'm confused. I thought that the alignment change only applies to quest
artifacts, so there wouldn't be any reason to expect Grayswandir to
change alignment. Why would Grayswandir have been neutral for your
neutral Archaeologist?

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Then, "You see here a statue of the Wizard of Yendor." Wow!

Hmm.., I suppose I should not try to stone-to-flesh that statue?!

How about bringing that statue to the demigod bar■ (if not too
heavy to lift). :cool:

Janis

■ "Thou desecratest this recreational place with thy presence."

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> Topi Linkala wrote:
>
>>> Finally, "You see here a statue of a valkyrie named Sangrida."
>>> Used my mattock to smash it and found...
>>>
>>> a cockatrice corpse (HEHEHE)
>>
>> Was there an incubus around?
>
> I've not seen one; though one of my three pets could have taken
> one out. But wait... Ken's followup gives the explanation.

I was thinking that she whacked an incubus with the rubber chiken and
missed. Then the incubus got his chance and seduced the gauntlets of her
and bingo.

This has happened to me once and after that I've never used rubber
chiken against foocubus.

Topi

--

Seraphim wrote:
> Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> > John Campbell wrote:

> >> Actually, that brings up a question I was wondering about... I'm
> >> assuming from the presence of Excalibur that Sangrida was lawful.
> >> The Orb of Fate is normally neutral, but is changed to lawful for
> >> lawful valkyries. Is the Orb from her statue lawful or neutral?

Interesting question - Did this Orb of Fate remember its
non-default alignment through the morph of a bones file?
Only a part of the question can be answered. If a neutral
player finds it and can pick it up then it reverted to its
default alignment. If a lawfull player finds it and can
pick it up it retained its non-default alignment.

> >> I had a similar situation come up in one of my games, where a
> >> chaotic wizard left bones after collecting the (normally neutral)
> >> Eye. I never figured out the answer, because the character that
> >> ultimately found the wizard's bones was a samurai, and couldn't
> >> touch the Eye regardless (and leaving it there on the floor hurt me
> >> deep inside).
>
> > Neutral, going by a neutral archaeologist of mine who left the
> > lawful Grayswandir. It seems to revert to its canonical alignment.
>
> I'm confused. I thought that the alignment change only applies to quest
> artifacts, so there wouldn't be any reason to expect Grayswandir to
> change alignment. Why would Grayswandir have been neutral for your
> neutral Archaeologist?

The initial guaranteed gift gets converted if needed. In the
case of Mjollnir found by the OP it had been converted to
Lawfull. No idea if it's lawfullness survived in the bones
file. I can't answer how Grayswandir ended up neutral, it
shouldn't.

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Seraphim wrote:
>>Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

>>>Neutral, going by a neutral archaeologist of mine who left the
>>>lawful Grayswandir. It seems to revert to its canonical alignment.
>>
>>I'm confused. I thought that the alignment change only applies to quest
>>artifacts, so there wouldn't be any reason to expect Grayswandir to
>>change alignment. Why would Grayswandir have been neutral for your
>>neutral Archaeologist?
>
> The initial guaranteed gift gets converted if needed. In the
> case of Mjollnir found by the OP it had been converted to
> Lawfull. No idea if it's lawfullness survived in the bones
> file. I can't answer how Grayswandir ended up neutral, it
> shouldn't.

My chaotic barbarian could pick up Mjollnir from the bones without
getting blasted (as opposed to the lawful Excalibur).

Janis

seraphim

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> Seraphim wrote:

>>>I'm confused. I thought that the alignment change only applies to
>>>quest artifacts, so there wouldn't be any reason to expect
>>>Grayswandir to change alignment. Why would Grayswandir have been
>>>neutral for your neutral Archaeologist?
>>
>> The initial guaranteed gift gets converted if needed. In the
>> case of Mjollnir found by the OP it had been converted to
>> Lawful. No idea if it's lawfulness survived in the bones
>> file. I can't answer how Grayswandir ended up neutral, it
>> shouldn't.
>
> My chaotic barbarian could pick up Mjollnir from the bones without
> getting blasted (as opposed to the lawful Excalibur).

A cross aligned non-intelligent artifact (other then Orcrist and Sting)
will only blast you 25% of the time. My guess would be that you didn't
mess around with Mjollnir enough to get blasted. Excalibur is
intelligent, so that is why you probably noticed the difference.