Computer turns on, monitor does not get signal. Please help.

lolita_99

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
hello, my computer tower turns on but when i hook up the connection cord with the monitor it says that there is not a signal.

ubobill

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Unplug and replug them back in.

Are you plugging the monitor into a graphics card? If so plug the monitor into the onboard graphics and see if you receive a signal. Try a different cable. If you are using VGA use a DVI cable or visa versa.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
The first question to you is this, bit of logic here.
Is it a new system ?you have just bought. And connecting it up for the first time ? Yes ? take the time to read all the instructions on it`s setup and where if it states to put the connections from the tower to a monitor.

Out of all the simplest thing`s it`s amazing people do this for example when there are often detailed instructions put there to help you, were people simply cast it to one side with no intention of reading it to cry and ask for help on a forum.

There is my bit of advice, it`s harsh but true in most cases.
Now to the latter of the point, you may of used this system for some time, but the fact you stated logic dictates with your statement its the first case reading the line posted in your post.

"when i hook up the connection cord with the monitor it says that there is not a signal" because if it was set up prior to it, then there would be no need to do this would there.

Now we have that out of the way, thinking logic here.
We need hardware specs to try to narrow the problems down, and trouble shoot your problem for you.
To help you, you help yourself, to help us to reach a resolve to your problem.

Hi,
First, unplug you computer, open the box and get the memory out.
plug in the power and try booting.

If their are beeps, it means there's a problem with memory, so try 1 ram at a time.

If no beeps, you have a problem with psu, cpu or mobo.

From there, test with a working power supply.

If still no luck, you need to test with new mobo /cpu.

Good luck

majidkadi

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I've had the same problem, I've installed a new video + audio card and the problem is solved.
I don't know if it's intergrated vides & audio not good? I'm wandering if there is a way to check that.
Thanks

Shirly_1

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015

should we buy a new vga cable

Skyl3r

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

If you take the memory out, you should get beeps. It simply indicates that you attempted to boot your computer without ram and does not mean there's a problem with your ram. This may be a very misleading answer as the problem could be something as simple as a bad display cable or damaged connector yet you're leading the user to believe it's their memory.

I'd be more interested in if the computer beeps when you power it on. A lot of motherboards will give a single beep to indicate successful POST. If it's not a single beep, please provide the motherboard type and what beep code.

rosezachary04

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
So I unplugged everything except for my CPU/PSU/MOBO and I was able to gain access to the BIOS now! Someone mentioned that my SSD may not be compatible and and also that I need to do a BIOS update for everything to work. Does this mean that I need to use the disc that came with the MOBO to download the utilities/drivers?

eph85

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
I have the same problem. I just upgraded RAM. computer was absolutely fine before, not it makes one long beep, then the monitor says no signal. tried swapping all ram pieces and back to original ram. Help us please! :)

Alexk492

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
I made the mistake of plugging the dvi into the motherboard/cpu graphics, not the graphics card. Make sure you arent plugging it into the motherboard, for anyone that is kinda new like me.