Strange message incidence

There was a strange message incidence...

I was stressed, then
"Your movements are only slowed slightly by your load."

I did not carry any corpse that might have rotted away.
I wear gauntlets of power (have a base Str of 18/90).
I did not get any message that Str/Dex/Con changed.
I had not been hurt (better feeling legs or so).

Any explanations for that message?

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> There was a strange message incidence...
>
> I was stressed, then
> "Your movements are only slowed slightly by your load."
>
> I did not carry any corpse that might have rotted away.
> I wear gauntlets of power (have a base Str of 18/90).
> I did not get any message that Str/Dex/Con changed.
> I had not been hurt (better feeling legs or so).
>
> Any explanations for that message?

Ah, sorry. Not sure, but I might have had a corpse in my bag.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>> There was a strange message incidence...
>>
>> I was stressed, then
>> "Your movements are only slowed slightly by your load."
>>
>> I did not carry any corpse that might have rotted away.
>> I wear gauntlets of power (have a base Str of 18/90).
>> I did not get any message that Str/Dex/Con changed.
>> I had not been hurt (better feeling legs or so).
>>
>> Any explanations for that message?
>
> Ah, sorry. Not sure, but I might have had a corpse in my bag.

Did you just eat? There's a load overlap when you're hungry.

Keith

Keith Davies wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>>
>>>There was a strange message incidence...
>>>
>>>I was stressed, then
>>>"Your movements are only slowed slightly by your load."
>>>
>>>I did not carry any corpse that might have rotted away.
>>>I wear gauntlets of power (have a base Str of 18/90).
>>>I did not get any message that Str/Dex/Con changed.
>>>I had not been hurt (better feeling legs or so).
>>>
>>>Any explanations for that message?
>>
>>Ah, sorry. Not sure, but I might have had a corpse in my bag.
>

> Did you just eat? There's a load overlap when you're hungry.

Interesting; indeed I have eaten just before (10-30 moves, AFAIR).
How does that load overlap work, how long does it last?
Strange that I never observed it; I am often at some capacity limit.

Janis

Gherkin

Distinguished
May 6, 2003

I don't know how large the overlap is, but if you're close to to a load
change (almost burdened, almost stressed), becoming hungry pushes you
over. I expect similar happens if you become weak but haven't noticed.

I thought that this only happened when you became "weak" and that it
was simply a result of the one point of strength you lose in that state.

Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Keith Davies wrote:
>> Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>Ah, sorry. Not sure, but I might have had a corpse in my bag.
>>
>> Did you just eat? There's a load overlap when you're hungry.
>
> Interesting; indeed I have eaten just before (10-30 moves, AFAIR).
> How does that load overlap work, how long does it last?
> Strange that I never observed it; I am often at some capacity limit.

I don't know how large the overlap is, but if you're close to to a load
change (almost burdened, almost stressed), becoming hungry pushes you
over. I expect similar happens if you become weak but haven't noticed.

So, if you were close and got hungry (and it switched), eating can
switch it back. It's not as noticeable if you eat from inventory (doing
so does lower your load, after all), but if you eat from the floor it's
easier to see.

Keith

Gherkin <gherkinz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know how large the overlap is, but if you're close to to a
>> load change (almost burdened, almost stressed), becoming hungry
>> pushes you over. I expect similar happens if you become weak but
>> haven't noticed.
>
> I thought that this only happened when you became "weak" and that it
> was simply a result of the one point of strength you lose in that
> state.

I've had it happen when I went hungry.

Keith

Keith Davies wrote:

> Gherkin <gherkinz@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't know how large the overlap is, but if you're close to to a
>>> load change (almost burdened, almost stressed), becoming hungry
>>> pushes you over. I expect similar happens if you become weak but
>>> haven't noticed.
>>
>> I thought that this only happened when you became "weak" and that it
>> was simply a result of the one point of strength you lose in that
>> state.
>
> I've had it happen when I went hungry.

Are you sure you're not mis-remembering? I just did a wizmode test where I
picked up the maximum number of zorkmids I could without becoming burdened,
and waited until I became hungry. At this point, I was still unburdened,
and my strength was unaffected.

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:
> Keith Davies wrote:

>>> I thought that this only happened when you became "weak" and that it
>>> was simply a result of the one point of strength you lose in that
>>> state.
>>
>> I've had it happen when I went hungry.
>
> Are you sure you're not mis-remembering? I just did a wizmode test
> where I picked up the maximum number of zorkmids I could without
> becoming burdened, and waited until I became hungry. At this point, I
> was still unburdened, and my strength was unaffected.

Pretty sure. It's possible that I may have eaten something out of
inventory that flipped me back over, or that I got a Str bump at about
the same time... but I've seen it happen several times.

I don't *think* I'm remembering going to Weak.

Keith