How do you keep cockatrice corpses from rotting away??

Last response: in Video Games
August 8, 2005 10:44:15 AM

Self explanatory subject line...but for the sake of having a message
body...

How do you keep cockatrice corpses from rotting away??

If I get one, but don't want to use it immediately for whatever reason,
how do I preserve the corpse for later use as a rubber chicken?
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:39:39 AM

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
> let them stay fresh.

A corpse in an ice box will not rot at all.
A corpse on an ice square will rot half as quickly.

There is no foolproof way to get a permanent usable cockatrice corpse
(other than storing it in an icebox, but I mean keeping it in your
inventory for use). Another solution, however, is to every so often
reanimate the corpse and kill it, hoping it drops another corpse.

I'm pretty sure the DevTeam doesn't want people to have eternal rubber
chickens. :)
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:51:51 AM

Shawn Moore wrote:
> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> > Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
> > let them stay fresh.
>
> A corpse in an ice box will not rot at all.
> A corpse on an ice square will rot half as quickly.
>
> There is no foolproof way to get a permanent usable cockatrice corpse
> (other than storing it in an icebox, but I mean keeping it in your
> inventory for use). Another solution, however, is to every so often
> reanimate the corpse and kill it, hoping it drops another corpse.

It's also not unusual for players to spend wishes on rubber chickens.

YANI: Introduce an actual, literal "rubber chicken" item into the game,
just to annoy anyone daft enough to wish for a "blessed rubber chicken"
rather than a "blessed cockatrice corpse".

Hmm...
You zap the wand of undead turning at the rubber chicken --more--
the rubber chicken comes to life --more--
The rubber chicken lays an egg --more--
G - a rubber chicken egg
you throw the rubber chicken egg --more--
the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 12:02:17 PM

Brigand wrote:
<snip>
> If I get one, but don't want to use it immediately for whatever reason,
> how do I preserve the corpse for later use as a rubber chicken?

Put it in an icebox?

I think you can extend its life if you leave it on the icy floor too...

-K
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 12:26:11 PM

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Shawn Moore wrote:
> > Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> >
> >>Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
> >>let them stay fresh.
> >
> > A corpse in an ice box will not rot at all.
> > A corpse on an ice square will rot half as quickly.
>
> What would happen if you drop it in water and freeze the water?

You now wield a pick axe
dig in what direction?
You dig a pit in the ice --more--
There are several items here:
a leather cloak
a pair of snow boots
an axe
a crude dagger
a longbow
12 arrows
a human corpse named Oetzi
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:04:12 PM

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> You now wield a pick axe
> dig in what direction?
> You dig a pit in the ice --more--
> There are several items here:
> a leather cloak
> a pair of snow boots
> an axe
> a crude dagger
> a longbow
> 12 arrows
> a human corpse named Oetzi

I have a copy of the book "The Man in the Ice". Very
interesting find of a natural mummy. The axe and
dagger would be stone not iron. Yet another pair of
alternate weapons.

One way to make the corpse last longer: bless it.
Blessed corpses do rot away eventually but they do
last longer.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:09:47 PM

Doug Freyburger wrote:
<snip>
> One way to make the corpse last longer: bless it.
> Blessed corpses do rot away eventually but they do
> last longer.

Oh really? Nice to know. I'll have to try that.

Learns something new everyday :D

-K
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:06:50 PM

"Brigand" <markashall@hotmail.com> writes:

> Self explanatory subject line...but for the sake of having a message
> body...
>

> How do you keep cockatrice corpses from rotting away??

Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
let them stay fresh. Both are stationary solutions; however,
if combined with, say controlled level-teleport, can be quite
useful.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:44:16 PM

<dogscoff@eudoramail.com> wrote:

> The rubber chicken lays an egg --more--
> G - a rubber chicken egg
> you throw the rubber chicken egg --more--
> the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
> the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
> the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--

I'm thinking Arkanoid would be harder to implement in NetHack than
Sokoban was.

P.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:58:11 PM

Shawn Moore wrote:
> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>
>>Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
>>let them stay fresh.
>
> A corpse in an ice box will not rot at all.
> A corpse on an ice square will rot half as quickly.

What would happen if you drop it in water and freeze the water?

Janis
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:02:46 AM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> And I don't even think it's an oversight. Frozen water may be -4
> degrees, while the temperature in a fridge should be -18 to keep things
> good (almost) indefinitely. A major difference.

But it's not a fridge, it's an icebox that keeps corpses good
indefinitely, which presumably would be the same temperature as that
frozen water.

BTW, does an icebox freeze a corpse's rot counter, or does it reset its
age, or what?

- John H.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:36:15 AM

> How do you keep cockatrice corpses from rotting away?

As others have mentioned, you can store the corpse indefinitely in an
icebox. Corpses in an icebox never "age", but once you take it out, the
aging continues exactly from where it left off.

If you want a cockatrice corpse you can use for the whole game, you
will have to play NH 3.4.1 . There was a bug in that version that
allowed you to use "stone-to-flesh" on a statue of a cocktrice to get a
cockatrice corpse that would never rot. Since cockatrices are
stoning-resistant, you would need to find, polymorph, or wish for the
statue of a cockatrice. You would also have to have another statue on
the same square, "on top" of the statue of a cockatrice.

Happy hacking.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:27:13 AM

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Shawn Moore wrote:
>
>>Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>>
>>>Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
>>>let them stay fresh.
>>
>>A corpse in an ice box will not rot at all.
>>A corpse on an ice square will rot half as quickly.
>
> What would happen if you drop it in water and freeze the water?

(checks wizmode)

Same thing as if it was on top of the ice.
August 9, 2005 7:27:14 AM

In article <mRKJe.1276$iM2.93728@news.xtra.co.nz>,
David Corbett <dcorbett42@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

>> What would happen if you drop it in water and freeze the water?
>
>(checks wizmode)
>
>Same thing as if it was on top of the ice.

TDTDNTOE?
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:27:15 AM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:28:48 +0000, james wrote:

> In article <mRKJe.1276$iM2.93728@news.xtra.co.nz>,
> David Corbett <dcorbett42@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>> What would happen if you drop it in water and freeze the water?
>>
>>(checks wizmode)
>>
>>Same thing as if it was on top of the ice.
>
> TDTDNTOE?

Yeah. That's got to be a bug.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:42:55 PM

Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:

>>> (checks wizmode)
>>> Same thing as if it was on top of the ice.

>> TDTDNTOE?

> Yeah. That's got to be a bug.

A mere oversight or design flaw at most. Since this was obviously coded
this way, it was meant to behave like this. Bugs are when a program
behaves differently from design.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:48:18 PM

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>And I don't even think it's an oversight. Frozen water may be -4
>degrees, while the temperature in a fridge should be -18 to keep things
>good (almost) indefinitely. A major difference.

The temperature in a *freezer* should be -18.

The temperature in a *fridge* should never be below 0.
illusion/kinetics controlling is love
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:15:06 PM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> And I don't even think it's an oversight. Frozen water may be -4 degrees
> [...]

Assuming the dungeon has a temperature of more than 0 deg (Celsius) the ice
should melt over time. Otherwise any plain water would freeze. Therefore it
must be some magical (one therm for NHINRL) ice. In either case there is no
need to assume any temperature limit other than -273 deg Celsius, I'd say
(modulo NHINRL, of course).

So Ötzi, erm.. - the corpse could be preserved quite long in ice. IMO.

Janis
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:47:23 PM

Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>> an axe
>> a crude dagger

> The axe and dagger would be stone not iron. Yet another pair of
> alternate weapons.

Nitpick: the axe was copper. In-game, OK, we don't have copper
weapons (yet).

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

In article <dd9j9h$2n0$1@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,
Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>And I don't even think it's an oversight. Frozen water may be -4
>degrees, while the temperature in a fridge should be -18 to keep things
>good (almost) indefinitely. A major difference.

Sure, you could convince me that the "ice box" moves heat to the same
universe as the inside of BoH's, or something abstract like that. No
problem.
August 9, 2005 9:06:17 PM

In article <ogd*47HVq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>The temperature in a *freezer* should be -18.
>
>The temperature in a *fridge* should never be below 0.

A nethack "ice box" is neither. It's too bad it doesn't qualify as a
magical container, so this argument would be settled with "it's magic."
August 9, 2005 9:58:53 PM

> How do you keep cockatrice corpses from rotting away?

What if you wield it and read a scroll of enchant weapon while
confused. Would that work?

Probably not........
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:04:05 AM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:42:55 +0200, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>>> TDTDNTOE?
>
>> Yeah. That's got to be a bug.
>
> A mere oversight or design flaw at most. Since this was obviously coded
> this way, it was meant to behave like this. Bugs are when a program
> behaves differently from design.

That was mere hyperbole. I should have added a smiley, I guess.

--
- Mantar --- Drop YourPantiesSirWilliam to email me.
!