How do you keep cockatrice corpses from rotting away??

Self explanatory subject line...but for the sake of having a message
body...

How do you keep cockatrice corpses from rotting away??

If I get one, but don't want to use it immediately for whatever reason,
how do I preserve the corpse for later use as a rubber chicken?
22 answers Last reply
More about cockatrice corpses rotting away

    Jakob Creutzig wrote:
    > Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
    > let them stay fresh.

    A corpse in an ice box will not rot at all.
    A corpse on an ice square will rot half as quickly.

    There is no foolproof way to get a permanent usable cockatrice corpse
    (other than storing it in an icebox, but I mean keeping it in your
    inventory for use). Another solution, however, is to every so often
    reanimate the corpse and kill it, hoping it drops another corpse.

    I'm pretty sure the DevTeam doesn't want people to have eternal rubber
    chickens. :)

    Shawn Moore wrote:
    > Jakob Creutzig wrote:
    > > Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
    > > let them stay fresh.
    >
    > A corpse in an ice box will not rot at all.
    > A corpse on an ice square will rot half as quickly.
    >
    > There is no foolproof way to get a permanent usable cockatrice corpse
    > (other than storing it in an icebox, but I mean keeping it in your
    > inventory for use). Another solution, however, is to every so often
    > reanimate the corpse and kill it, hoping it drops another corpse.

    It's also not unusual for players to spend wishes on rubber chickens.

    YANI: Introduce an actual, literal "rubber chicken" item into the game,
    just to annoy anyone daft enough to wish for a "blessed rubber chicken"
    rather than a "blessed cockatrice corpse".

    Hmm...
    You zap the wand of undead turning at the rubber chicken --more--
    the rubber chicken comes to life --more--
    The rubber chicken lays an egg --more--
    G - a rubber chicken egg
    you throw the rubber chicken egg --more--
    the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
    the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
    the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
    the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
    the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
    the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
    the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--

    Brigand wrote:
    <snip>
    > If I get one, but don't want to use it immediately for whatever reason,
    > how do I preserve the corpse for later use as a rubber chicken?

    Put it in an icebox?

    I think you can extend its life if you leave it on the icy floor too...

    -K

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    > Shawn Moore wrote:
    > > Jakob Creutzig wrote:
    > >
    > >>Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
    > >>let them stay fresh.
    > >
    > > A corpse in an ice box will not rot at all.
    > > A corpse on an ice square will rot half as quickly.
    >
    > What would happen if you drop it in water and freeze the water?

    You now wield a pick axe
    dig in what direction?
    You dig a pit in the ice --more--
    There are several items here:
    a leather cloak
    a pair of snow boots
    an axe
    a crude dagger
    a longbow
    12 arrows
    a human corpse named Oetzi

    dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

    > You now wield a pick axe
    > dig in what direction?
    > You dig a pit in the ice --more--
    > There are several items here:
    > a leather cloak
    > a pair of snow boots
    > an axe
    > a crude dagger
    > a longbow
    > 12 arrows
    > a human corpse named Oetzi

    I have a copy of the book "The Man in the Ice". Very
    interesting find of a natural mummy. The axe and
    dagger would be stone not iron. Yet another pair of
    alternate weapons.

    One way to make the corpse last longer: bless it.
    Blessed corpses do rot away eventually but they do
    last longer.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Doug Freyburger wrote:
    <snip>
    > One way to make the corpse last longer: bless it.
    > Blessed corpses do rot away eventually but they do
    > last longer.

    Oh really? Nice to know. I'll have to try that.

    Learns something new everyday :D

    -K
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Brigand" <markashall@hotmail.com> writes:

    > Self explanatory subject line...but for the sake of having a message
    > body...
    >

    > How do you keep cockatrice corpses from rotting away??

    Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
    let them stay fresh. Both are stationary solutions; however,
    if combined with, say controlled level-teleport, can be quite
    useful.

    Best,
    Jakob
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    <dogscoff@eudoramail.com> wrote:

    > The rubber chicken lays an egg --more--
    > G - a rubber chicken egg
    > you throw the rubber chicken egg --more--
    > the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
    > the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--
    > the rubber chicken egg bounces --more--

    I'm thinking Arkanoid would be harder to implement in NetHack than
    Sokoban was.

    P.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Shawn Moore wrote:
    > Jakob Creutzig wrote:
    >
    >>Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
    >>let them stay fresh.
    >
    > A corpse in an ice box will not rot at all.
    > A corpse on an ice square will rot half as quickly.

    What would happen if you drop it in water and freeze the water?

    Janis
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    > And I don't even think it's an oversight. Frozen water may be -4
    > degrees, while the temperature in a fridge should be -18 to keep things
    > good (almost) indefinitely. A major difference.

    But it's not a fridge, it's an icebox that keeps corpses good
    indefinitely, which presumably would be the same temperature as that
    frozen water.

    BTW, does an icebox freeze a corpse's rot counter, or does it reset its
    age, or what?

    - John H.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > How do you keep cockatrice corpses from rotting away?

    As others have mentioned, you can store the corpse indefinitely in an
    icebox. Corpses in an icebox never "age", but once you take it out, the
    aging continues exactly from where it left off.

    If you want a cockatrice corpse you can use for the whole game, you
    will have to play NH 3.4.1 . There was a bug in that version that
    allowed you to use "stone-to-flesh" on a statue of a cocktrice to get a
    cockatrice corpse that would never rot. Since cockatrices are
    stoning-resistant, you would need to find, polymorph, or wish for the
    statue of a cockatrice. You would also have to have another statue on
    the same square, "on top" of the statue of a cockatrice.

    Happy hacking.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Janis Papanagnou wrote:
    > Shawn Moore wrote:
    >
    >>Jakob Creutzig wrote:
    >>
    >>>Putting them in ice boxes, or (IIRC) on an ice square will
    >>>let them stay fresh.
    >>
    >>A corpse in an ice box will not rot at all.
    >>A corpse on an ice square will rot half as quickly.
    >
    > What would happen if you drop it in water and freeze the water?

    (checks wizmode)

    Same thing as if it was on top of the ice.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <mRKJe.1276$iM2.93728@news.xtra.co.nz>,
    David Corbett <dcorbett42@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

    >> What would happen if you drop it in water and freeze the water?
    >
    >(checks wizmode)
    >
    >Same thing as if it was on top of the ice.

    TDTDNTOE?
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 19:28:48 +0000, james wrote:

    > In article <mRKJe.1276$iM2.93728@news.xtra.co.nz>,
    > David Corbett <dcorbett42@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    >>> What would happen if you drop it in water and freeze the water?
    >>
    >>(checks wizmode)
    >>
    >>Same thing as if it was on top of the ice.
    >
    > TDTDNTOE?

    Yeah. That's got to be a bug.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:

    >>> (checks wizmode)
    >>> Same thing as if it was on top of the ice.

    >> TDTDNTOE?

    > Yeah. That's got to be a bug.

    A mere oversight or design flaw at most. Since this was obviously coded
    this way, it was meant to behave like this. Bugs are when a program
    behaves differently from design.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
    >And I don't even think it's an oversight. Frozen water may be -4
    >degrees, while the temperature in a fridge should be -18 to keep things
    >good (almost) indefinitely. A major difference.

    The temperature in a *freezer* should be -18.

    The temperature in a *fridge* should never be below 0.
    illusion/kinetics controlling is love
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    > And I don't even think it's an oversight. Frozen water may be -4 degrees
    > [...]

    Assuming the dungeon has a temperature of more than 0 deg (Celsius) the ice
    should melt over time. Otherwise any plain water would freeze. Therefore it
    must be some magical (one therm for NHINRL) ice. In either case there is no
    need to assume any temperature limit other than -273 deg Celsius, I'd say
    (modulo NHINRL, of course).

    So Ötzi, erm.. - the corpse could be preserved quite long in ice. IMO.

    Janis
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
    >> an axe
    >> a crude dagger

    > The axe and dagger would be stone not iron. Yet another pair of
    > alternate weapons.

    Nitpick: the axe was copper. In-game, OK, we don't have copper
    weapons (yet).

    --
    Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
    and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

    In article <dd9j9h$2n0$1@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>,
    Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

    >And I don't even think it's an oversight. Frozen water may be -4
    >degrees, while the temperature in a fridge should be -18 to keep things
    >good (almost) indefinitely. A major difference.

    Sure, you could convince me that the "ice box" moves heat to the same
    universe as the inside of BoH's, or something abstract like that. No
    problem.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <ogd*47HVq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
    Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

    >The temperature in a *freezer* should be -18.
    >
    >The temperature in a *fridge* should never be below 0.

    A nethack "ice box" is neither. It's too bad it doesn't qualify as a
    magical container, so this argument would be settled with "it's magic."
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    > How do you keep cockatrice corpses from rotting away?

    What if you wield it and read a scroll of enchant weapon while
    confused. Would that work?

    Probably not........
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:42:55 +0200, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    >>> TDTDNTOE?
    >
    >> Yeah. That's got to be a bug.
    >
    > A mere oversight or design flaw at most. Since this was obviously coded
    > this way, it was meant to behave like this. Bugs are when a program
    > behaves differently from design.

    That was mere hyperbole. I should have added a smiley, I guess.

    --
    - Mantar --- Drop YourPantiesSirWilliam to email me.

Games Video Games