How hot is too hot?

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
Does anyone know how hot a AMD CPU can get before we can expect problems? I have one AMD running at about 62c (1.1GHz no problems) and one at 71c (1.2GHz lots of lockups). Both have the same Tyan Trinity MB, the cooler one has a ANTEC 4K RMP crap fan and the hot one has a 6K RPM golden orb. Could heat be the issue here?

Chris is sick of expensive Intel CPUs.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most users agree that the Golden Orb is one of the worst coolers available. Try the VolcanoII, or the Evercool ND-8, ND-9, or the Globalwin FOP32-1

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
When you hit the 70's with the T-Birds expect lock ups, maybe not damageing to the cpu but they do become unstable in the 70's.

G

i would buy a higher rpm fan

u dont have to spend a pile
i have a coolermaster myself
it was $20 but it was a big heatsink and fan

my duron 800 gets like 34-46 50's on a hot day

but
my moms pc also duron 800 has a coolermaster too but a tiny one,...
on cool days it seems to be cooler then mine but on hotter ones its almost 60c
so..

try another brand
coolermaster is ok. but not the greatest

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

ChrisLudwig

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
The system has been running fine for several months. Only recently have I had problems.

Do you guys know if a hot CPU will get less tolerant of heat over time?

-Chris is sick of expensive Intel CPUs.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
62 isnt too bad... but under 60 is the target you should aim for... under 50 if you are a control freak... under 40 if you want to overclock heavily and under 30 if youre insane or have nothing better to do with you time and money (or someone is paying you to get it that low... in which case... show me the money)

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

TRENDING THREADS