Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help! I broke my CPU Socket...

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2001 8:12:27 AM

Hi everyone. I broke the leg (the one that you clip the heatsink on) on my CPU socket when I was trying to take the CPU fan out:(  My MB is ASUS CUSL-C(Socket370) Does anyone have a idea about what I can do besides buying a new MB? Please help. Any response will be greatly appreciated.

More about : broke cpu socket

July 8, 2001 8:45:30 AM

ah, one more broken socket!
well, theres nothing much to do, you cannot mount the HSF on this socket which is more important, perhaps even more than the CPU! :smile:

but you can try this thing, i suggested it to a friend of mine who had a similar problem, and its working fine for him. get a spare 370 pin ZIF socket which will cost you about $10 (dont know exactly what it would cost in the US) and instal it in the broken socket. now this new socket has the wedge and you can put your CPU and the HSF in this socket. remember, this socket IS NOT firmly clamped onto the original socket, so DO NOT mount this board in a tower chassis. keep the board horizontal, get a desktop chassis. that would be cheaper than getting a new board.

its running quite stable for my friend, so the socket isnt causing any troubles i guess.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2001 11:41:39 AM

Oh dear oh dear :) 

Looks like a new mobo if you can't fix it. There's no way to replace a CPU socket if you don't happen to have a super-accurate soldering iron. (Don't even try). The technique described in the previous post might work, but I've no idea where you can find spare sockets.

~ The First Formally Rehabilitated AMD Lemming ~
Related resources
July 8, 2001 1:25:05 PM

I broke the clipy on my old kt7 raid mobo, damn fop32, anyways, what I did was get a picture frame hanger(3 inch long strip of metal when uncurled) and attached it to the clip end of my heatsink, then made it into a crude l shape, with a hook on one end, then yanked it over the edge of my motherbord(making sure to check for traces btw) so the mobo pcb was holding the heatsink on, it worked great, and then i sold the mobo/cpu(tbird800@900) to a friend for 250, I told him it was fine, but never to remove the hsf heh.

Dont buy a new mobo unless you have to(or can return it and get a new one) go macguyver on that mofo.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~
July 8, 2001 4:01:32 PM

I _think_ Taisol heatsinks use all 3 lugs and so do not care if the center one is bust? There is definitely one out there and I'm 95% sure it is Taisol.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
July 8, 2001 4:36:17 PM

there are severalout there like that and they work great for the proble described.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2001 2:45:07 AM

Yes, try not to fret too much. You can use a 3 lug clipped heatsink, I have quite a few of those lying around. Just search various cooler sites until you find one you like.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2001 3:21:28 AM

Thanks very much for your replies.

I bought a new "triple-clip" heat sink with fan attached today. It costs me only $9. This cheap solution works even better than I expected. The CPU remains at 33-37C. (My CPU is P3-750, 100FSB)

Thanks again for all the useful information that you have given.
July 9, 2001 4:49:34 AM

yeah, I've heard of this working. Since the pins are in all the same configuration on the ZIFF socket's connection to the mobo, as the processors connection to the ZIFF socket this works nicely. I heard to apply super glue between the two ZIFF sockets before putting them together for a firm secure hold

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless
July 9, 2001 4:54:16 AM

there we go - another satisfied customer! glad it worked out well for you!

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2001 5:51:29 AM

Forgot to mention, here is the what I know about the heatsink+fan:

the brand of this Heatsink is ASCENT by looking at the box that comes with it. I can't be sure since there is no information about this product inside the box at all. Also, its model # is AC4000. I bought it from one of the shops at LA Computer Fair. Here is their telephone #: 626-369-3786. I don't know the company's name though, because I can hardly read the handwriting on my receipt.
March 3, 2012 2:21:04 PM

I really wanted to construct a quick comment to express gratitude to you for all the magnificent tips and hints you are placing here. My time intensive internet investigation has at the end been rewarded with excellent facts and strategies to exchange with my contacts. I 'd suppose that many of us readers actually are undeniably blessed to exist in a remarkable network with so many marvellous professionals with great points. I feel very much grateful to have used your entire web page and look forward to many more entertaining minutes reading here. Thanks a lot once again for a lot of things.
<a href=http://www.secos.it/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=166648>Naturstein produkte
</a>
March 4, 2012 4:57:25 PM

Tiliaweexsins said:
I really wanted to construct a quick comment to express gratitude to you for all the magnificent tips and hints you are placing here. My time intensive internet investigation has at the end been rewarded with excellent facts and strategies to exchange with my contacts. I 'd suppose that many of us readers actually are undeniably blessed to exist in a remarkable network with so many marvellous professionals with great points. I feel very much grateful to have used your entire web page and look forward to many more entertaining minutes reading here. Thanks a lot once again for a lot of things.
<a href=http://www.secos.it/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=166648>Naturstein produkte
</a>

The Necroing is strong with this one.
a c 201 à CPUs
March 4, 2012 5:11:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Hunter315
!