How do you hit a co-aligned unicorn with gems?

My Tourist is at the bottom of the Gnomish Mines with -1 AC. He got
the luckstone, and found a co-aligned unicorn there too.

The problem is the unicorn never wants to line up with me, so I can't
throw a gem at it. In previous games I'd just keep running at the
unicorn over and over until it somehow forgets to teleport. Then I
throw a gem at it, and chase it around again until I eventually max out
my luck.

The problem is I'm really really paranoid about the bottom of the mines
level, and I'd like to get this over with as soon as possible so I can
get away from this level.

Am I supposed to just keep running at the unicorn repeatedly until it
botches a teleport dice roll? Is there a better way to get myself
lined up? The one gem I've sucessfully thrown so far involved the
unicorn stepping in a trap, but the unicorn doesn't want to step in
that trap again.
30 answers Last reply
More about aligned unicorn gems

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > Link wrote:
    >
    > > The problem is the unicorn never wants to line up with me, so I can't
    > > throw a gem at it. In previous games I'd just keep running at the
    > > unicorn over and over until it somehow forgets to teleport. Then I
    > > throw a gem at it, and chase it around again until I eventually max
    > > out my luck.
    >
    > It helps a *lot* to be (very) fast. Count when the unicorn moves and
    > when you move, and try to figure out when you get two successive moves.

    It would be helpful if you had jumping yourself. Do you?

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
    > > It would be helpful if you had jumping yourself. Do you?
    >
    > How would this help? Enquiring mind wants to know.
    >
    > In my experience, as soon as a unicorn gets a turn, it attempts to move
    > from the space it's at to an adjacent space that does not line up with
    > you. If no such space is available, it teleports out immediately.

    Hmmm. You could be right, but my own experience indicates that you
    ought to be able to use regular movement to get the unicorn next to a
    wall a knght's move away from the player, then jump to pin it between
    you and the wall. It won't be able to knight's move away, but I guess
    it could teleport. Again, based on my experience, a hostile unicorn
    would attack in this situation rather than teleport out, but I admit
    I'm not entirely sure what a peaceful one would do.

    I might be wrong, of course.

    What we need, of course, are bouncy gems. (or bouncy walls...)

    > Am I supposed to just keep running at the unicorn repeatedly until it
    > botches a teleport dice roll? Is there a better way to get myself
    > lined up? The one gem I've sucessfully thrown so far involved the
    > unicorn stepping in a trap, but the unicorn doesn't want to step in
    > that trap again.

    What's your speed like. Some of the unicorns "jumping" is actually him moving
    fast. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody.

    My Tourist is default speed, and no jumping.

    It is easy to line a character with a hostile unicorn. It appears
    hostile unicorns won't teleport if they have a valid square to jump to.
    When you are a knights move away, just step toward them. Half the
    time they'll decide to attack you instead of jumping.

    Since peaceful unicorns won't attack you, it appears they don't have
    the 50% chance of staying put when you step next to them.

    In previous games I have been able to max my luck out with default
    speed (and without jumping). If you keep running at the unicorn, every
    once in a while it decides not to teleport when you step next to it.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    > I am under the impression that unicorns are more likely to stay put
    > instead of teleporting away when your luck is already high, but that may
    > also be a trick of my mind.
    >
    > It seems like they hardly ever teleport away when your luck is maximised
    > (ie, when it no longer matters).

    Maybe it's being higher level or higher numerical
    alignment. I tend to use altars to max out my luck
    because altars don't move. Then I use peacefull
    unicorns to ID glass and hostile unicorns for their
    death benefits.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
    > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    >> Link wrote:

    >>> The problem is the unicorn never wants to line up with me, so I
    >>> can't throw a gem at it. In previous games I'd just keep running
    >>> at the unicorn over and over until it somehow forgets to teleport.
    >>> Then I throw a gem at it, and chase it around again until I
    >>> eventually max out my luck.

    >> It helps a *lot* to be (very) fast. Count when the unicorn moves and
    >> when you move, and try to figure out when you get two successive
    >> moves.

    > It would be helpful if you had jumping yourself. Do you?

    How would this help? Enquiring mind wants to know.

    In my experience, as soon as a unicorn gets a turn, it attempts to move
    from the space it's at to an adjacent space that does not line up with
    you. If no such space is available, it teleports out immediately.

    Only when you can make two consecutive moves is it possible to align
    yourself up with the unicorn and throw a gem in the next move.

    Where does jumping come into the picture? If there's a trick I've never
    discovered, I'd like to know it. Jumping, as far as I know, allows for
    faster movement only because it covers a greater distance per move. It
    does not provide more moves.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

    > Hmmm. You could be right, but my own experience indicates that you
    > ought to be able to use regular movement to get the unicorn next to a
    > wall a knght's move away from the player, then jump to pin it between
    > you and the wall. It won't be able to knight's move away, but I guess
    > it could teleport. Again, based on my experience, a hostile unicorn
    > would attack in this situation rather than teleport out, but I admit
    > I'm not entirely sure what a peaceful one would do.

    I am under the impression that unicorns are more likely to stay put
    instead of teleporting away when your luck is already high, but that may
    also be a trick of my mind.

    It seems like they hardly ever teleport away when your luck is maximised
    (ie, when it no longer matters).

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    My experience seems to be they are more likely to line up with you if you
    are farther away from it.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl wrote:
    > I am under the impression that unicorns are more likely to stay put
    > instead of teleporting away when your luck is already high, but that may
    > also be a trick of my mind.

    On a related note (and to show that TDTTOE), I had the idea recently of
    using a scroll of taming on a unicorn so, by using a magic whistle, I
    could get all the luck I wanted.

    "The black unicorn catches and drops the ruby"

    Grrrr....

    -- A.

    --
    My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

    Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    james wrote:
    > In article <1123639052.100880.318320@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > Link <chillynois@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The problem is the unicorn never wants to line up with me
    >
    > What you are experiencing is the nethack speed system. It's not
    > just that "the unicorn never lines up with you"; this is how Nethack
    > represents the different speeds at which creatures move.
    >
    > This bothered me a lot, because I had considered it to be a horrible
    > oversight in the range targetting system. But now that I understand
    > what's going on, I realize it's an ingeniously clever design.
    >
    > Want a hint for unicorns? Beartrap.

    Don't you mean "virgin"?

    A.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    The best way I know of to go after an unicorn is to have controlled
    teleport.

    Eat Nymph, Leprecaun (sp?) or tengu (n, L, t) and you might get random
    teleportation.
    Eat tengu (t), and you might get control teleport ability.

    You can get to teleport to a square where you are in-line with a
    unicorn. If it doesn't teleport away, you can throw a gem at it. If you
    are blind and have telepathy, you can even do long range (out of sight)
    teleportation.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <1123639052.100880.318320@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Link <chillynois@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >The problem is the unicorn never wants to line up with me

    What you are experiencing is the nethack speed system. It's not
    just that "the unicorn never lines up with you"; this is how Nethack
    represents the different speeds at which creatures move.

    This bothered me a lot, because I had considered it to be a horrible
    oversight in the range targetting system. But now that I understand
    what's going on, I realize it's an ingeniously clever design.

    Want a hint for unicorns? Beartrap.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Nobody has mentioned it yet, so I will:

    Unicorns will not avoid you if you are invisible.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Eva Myers wrote:
    > "Link" <chillynois@yahoo.com> writes:

    > > The problem is the unicorn never wants to line up with me, so I can't
    > > throw a gem at it.

    > I don't think anyone has mentioned that unicorns don't see invisible,
    > so if you have any source of invisibility you can walk right up to
    > it.

    Wear what?
    You are now wearing an uncursed +1 cloak of invisibility.
    throw what?
    You throw a ruby --more--
    the black unicorn catches the ruby --more--
    the black unicorn looks perplexed.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > Since you have to keep a distance
    > of two squares from the unicorn, and your pet a distance of only one,
    > your pet will always beat you to the corpse.

    Unless you zap a wand of napping at him before he can eat- that's one
    of my favourite tricks (although I often subsequently get killed
    because my pet is asleep and unable to defend me)
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Eva Myers wrote:
    > Link writes:
    >
    > > The problem is the unicorn never wants to line up with me, so I can't
    > > throw a gem at it. In previous games I'd just keep running at the
    > > unicorn over and over until it somehow forgets to teleport. Then I
    > > throw a gem at it, and chase it around again until I eventually max out
    > > my luck.
    >
    > I don't think anyone has mentioned that unicorns don't see invisible,
    > so if you have any source of invisibility you can walk right up to
    > it.

    They do hear, so having stealth plus invisibility appears to
    make it even easier. Maybe just an appearance not what
    actually happens. I tend to get stealth plus speed plus
    invisibility plus see invisibility all in a cluster some
    time.

    Tinning kits rule to get both invisibility and see
    invisibility together.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Antoine wrote:

    > james wrote:

    >> Want a hint for unicorns? Beartrap.
    >
    > Don't you mean "virgin"?

    "A virgin and a priestess you might be, but that unicorn won't care."

    Raisse, killed by a black unicorn

  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Link" <chillynois@yahoo.com> writes:

    > My Tourist is at the bottom of the Gnomish Mines with -1 AC. He got
    > the luckstone, and found a co-aligned unicorn there too.
    >
    > The problem is the unicorn never wants to line up with me, so I can't
    > throw a gem at it. In previous games I'd just keep running at the
    > unicorn over and over until it somehow forgets to teleport. Then I
    > throw a gem at it, and chase it around again until I eventually max out
    > my luck.

    I don't think anyone has mentioned that unicorns don't see invisible,
    so if you have any source of invisibility you can walk right up to
    it. Failing that, be faster than the unicorn.
    Eva.

    --
    Eva Myers, Computer Officer, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge
    Email: erm1001@cam.ac.uk WWW: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/

    ananthi.dancing@gmail.com wrote:

    > Eat tengu (t), and you might get control teleport ability.
    >
    > You can get to teleport to a square where you are in-line with a
    > unicorn. If it doesn't teleport away, you can throw a gem at it.

    Which works just as well as just *stepping* next to them. The speed
    system will still make then teleport away before your next move (that
    is, with the same chance as when you had stepped there).

    > If you are blind and have telepathy, you can even do long range
    > (out of sight) teleportation.

    You can do that without being blind and telepathic, as well. You just
    cannot teleport into rock or onto traps or monsters. You don't have to
    be able to see where you're going.

    By the way, my method of getting a unicorn horn is the following:

    +------ +--------
    |.u.f.. |uuu.....
    |u..... |....@...
    |..@... |..d.....
    |...... |........

    Move in such a way that the unicorn is forced to alternate between a few
    places, with no room to run away. Now wait for your pet to close in on
    the unicorn.

    The unicorn will not *teleport* away but fight your pet instead, and it
    won't *walk* away because it doesn't want to align up with you. Hence,
    it will stay "trapped" in the corner and eventually, your pet will kill
    it.

    Note that this is yet another reason to keep your pet alive and healthy.
    Also note that this is a way to get a unicorn *horn*, not a unicorn
    *corpse*, unless your pet is a horse. Since you have to keep a distance
    of two squares from the unicorn, and your pet a distance of only one,
    your pet will always beat you to the corpse.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in news:ddf2ni
    $fec$1@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl:

    [...]
    > Note that this is yet another reason to keep your pet alive and healthy.
    > Also note that this is a way to get a unicorn *horn*, not a unicorn
    > *corpse*, unless your pet is a horse. Since you have to keep a distance
    > of two squares from the unicorn, and your pet a distance of only one,
    > your pet will always beat you to the corpse.

    Perhaps if you have teleportisis and teleport control, you might get uber-
    lucky and teleport on the turn just after your pet kills the unicorn. Then
    you could teleport to the square with the corpse.

    If you have the necessary scroll, you could reverse genocide <colour>
    unicorns which would provide a nice scenario for gem-throwing.

    --
    Matt
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 10 Aug 2005 22:06:24 -0700, "Antoine" <mail@guildgame.com> wrote:

    >james wrote:
    >> In article <1123639052.100880.318320@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    >> Link <chillynois@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >The problem is the unicorn never wants to line up with me
    >>
    >> What you are experiencing is the nethack speed system. It's not
    >> just that "the unicorn never lines up with you"; this is how Nethack
    >> represents the different speeds at which creatures move.
    >>
    >> This bothered me a lot, because I had considered it to be a horrible
    >> oversight in the range targetting system. But now that I understand
    >> what's going on, I realize it's an ingeniously clever design.
    >>
    >> Want a hint for unicorns? Beartrap.
    >
    >Don't you mean "virgin"?

    YANI: unicorns are more likely to be generated peaceful if you've
    never encountered a foocubus.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:37:03 +0200:

    > By the way, my method of getting a unicorn horn is the following:
    >
    > Move in such a way that the unicorn is forced to alternate between a few
    > places, with no room to run away. Now wait for your pet to close in on
    > the unicorn.
    >
    > The unicorn will not *teleport* away but fight your pet instead, and it
    > won't *walk* away because it doesn't want to align up with you. Hence,
    > it will stay "trapped" in the corner and eventually, your pet will kill
    > it.
    >
    > Since you have to keep a distance
    > of two squares from the unicorn, and your pet a distance of only one,
    > your pet will always beat you to the corpse.

    Maybe not. Consider:

    +------
    |.u....
    |uf....
    |..@...

    If you are fast and get a move right after your pet kills the unicorn,
    displace it.

    --
    "Ruleless 'law' will be a political weapon and control of the
    judiciary will therefore be a political prize. 'Democracy' will

    ananthi.dancing@gmail.com wrote:
    > The best way I know of to go after an unicorn is to have controlled
    > teleport.
    >
    > Eat Nymph, Leprecaun (sp?) or tengu (n, L, t) and you might get random
    > teleportation.
    > Eat tengu (t), and you might get control teleport ability.

    Leprechauns are 'l' these days, and tengu are 'i'. 'L' is liches
    and 't' is trappers and lurkers above.

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    Matt Mills wrote:

    > Perhaps if you have teleportisis and teleport control, you might get
    > uber-lucky and teleport on the turn just after your pet kills the
    > unicorn. Then you could teleport to the square with the corpse.

    Well, if you have teleport + control, you're probably so advanced a
    character that you'll probably already have poison resistance, so the
    point is moot, since you don't have to eat the corpse at all.

    And if you have teleport + control, you're also able to teleport at
    will, if I recall correctly (^T).

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > Matt Mills wrote:
    >

    >>Perhaps if you have teleportisis and teleport control, you might get
    >>uber-lucky and teleport on the turn just after your pet kills the
    >>unicorn. Then you could teleport to the square with the corpse.
    >

    > Well, if you have teleport + control, you're probably so advanced a
    > character that you'll probably already have poison resistance, so the
    > point is moot, since you don't have to eat the corpse at all.
    >
    > And if you have teleport + control, you're also able to teleport at
    > will, if I recall correctly (^T).

    According to the spoilers, you can do this once you reach experience
    level 12 (or 8 as a wizard), even if you only have teleportitis. That
    doesn't help much with this, but it could be useful information. Also
    note that teleporting this way costs power.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Link <chillynois@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I successfully threw gem #1 because it hit a sleeping gas trap.

    Whoa, wait a minute. You can throw a gem at a sleeping unicorn and
    it works? A quick glance at dothrow.c does suggest this, but I can't
    imagine the dev team didn't think of that.

    --
    Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
    and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

    BManx2000 wrote:
    > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    >
    >> Matt Mills wrote:
    >>

    >>> Perhaps if you have teleportisis and teleport control, you might get
    >>> uber-lucky and teleport on the turn just after your pet kills the
    >>> unicorn. Then you could teleport to the square with the corpse.
    >>

    >> Well, if you have teleport + control, you're probably so advanced a
    >> character that you'll probably already have poison resistance, so the
    >> point is moot, since you don't have to eat the corpse at all.
    >>
    >> And if you have teleport + control, you're also able to teleport at
    >> will, if I recall correctly (^T).
    >>

    > According to the spoilers, you can do this once you reach experience
    > level 12 (or 8 as a wizard), even if you only have teleportitis. That
    > doesn't help much with this, but it could be useful information. Also
    > note that teleporting this way costs power.

    And hunger.

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Zarel
    |Moo. > \/
    \____/
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <1123737392.184453.133170@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    <ananthi.dancing@gmail.com> wrote:

    >The best way I know of to go after an unicorn is to have controlled
    >teleport.

    Yabbut, I want a unicorn horn within the first thousand turns; but
    controlled teleport is usually a goal for the first ten thousand turns.
    Lucky to get it at all. Speed is much easier to acquire.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

    > Only when you can make two consecutive moves is it possible to align
    > yourself up with the unicorn and throw a gem in the next move.

    A pick-axe can be helpful in trying to donate gems to a unicorn..

    --
    Jukka Lahtinen

Games Gem Video Games