how long?

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/09/1628216&tid=10
>
> In light of that particular article, I know for a fact that I've spent at
> least ten hours straight playing Nethack. Sometimes with the same character
> before YASD comes to claim its reward.
>
> What's the longest time one has spent playing this game? Was there an
> ascension after those sedentary hours?

I have (Slashdot) ascended in (Slashdot) one sitting, which took
(Slashdot!) around 20 hours, I believe. (SlashDot)

SLASHDOT

/.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> wrote in

> http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/09/1628216&tid=10
>
> In light of that particular article, I know for a fact that I've spent at
> least ten hours straight playing Nethack. Sometimes with the same character
> before YASD comes to claim its reward.
>
> What's the longest time one has spent playing this game? Was there an
> ascension after those sedentary hours?

There's a "hint" in the game about the longest game. I can't remember the
details, but it was a matter of years. Was that a true rumor anyone?

chuck <chucko@nil.car> writes:
> There's a "hint" in the game about the longest game. I can't remember the
> details, but it was a matter of years. Was that a true rumor anyone?

There's an epitaph which reads "1994-1995. The Longest-Lived Hacker Ever".
Is that what you're remembering?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Douglas Henke <henke@kharendaen.dyndns.org> wrote in

> chuck <chucko@nil.car> writes:
>> There's a "hint" in the game about the longest game. I can't remember the
>> details, but it was a matter of years. Was that a true rumor anyone?
>
> There's an epitaph which reads "1994-1995. The Longest-Lived Hacker Ever".
> Is that what you're remembering?

Yeah, that's it. Is it based on a true story, urban myth, or just made up?

chuck <chucko@nil.car> writes:
> > There's an epitaph which reads "1994-1995. The Longest-Lived Hacker Ever".
>
> Yeah, that's it. Is it based on a true story, urban myth, or just made up?

I've had games which spanned over three years, though the vast majority
of that time was of course between save and restore.

Even if you're talking about "at one sitting" it's no big thing to start
a game on New Year's Eve...

Probably just made up for comedic effect, though.