G

Anyone know where I could get a Vocano 2 for a good price?
Any other cooler suggestions for an tbird 1.2?
Looking to spend up to $30

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
volcano2 seems a good bet for the money. <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com</A> will give you the locations if you are buying from the US.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The terrific VolcanoII is available for only $9 at Nexfan.com. If you love noise like the last guy seems to, it is also available with the 7000RPM Delta fan for $16 from the same place.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Better than the FOP32 or VolcanoII. Probably the least of the high end coolers, while the FOP32 and VolcanoII are among the best of the mid-range coolers. I would expect the FOP38 to give me 5C-10C better cooling than the FOP32. But I really don't get into noisy coolers.

dan_gao86

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
how about the Win Cak38???
it seems quite a nice cooler, though heavy, expensive, and NOISY...
you think the Win Cak38 will beat the Fop38???

I WoNdEr HoW, I WoNdEr WhY, I WoNdEr WhErE ThEy ArE, ThE AMD... We OvErCloCked ToGeThEr, Oh YeAh...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've been looking at them, but have not bought one. Maybe a search of reviews would turn something up for you. It certainly looks like a good cooler.

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
If you are planning to overclock in the vicinity of 1.3-1.5ghz then you are going to need the turbine engine of a Delta 7k fan. No matter what heatsink it's on. For the money, a Volcano II with Delta seems the cheapest. I miself also run the Alpha 6035 with Delta, but am looking at the new Thermaltake 60mm fan with 31cfm at 28db. I can't stand the turbine hairdryer squeel. And I'm willing to sacrifice some mhz for a quieter fan.

Water cooling is another option I'm looking into, also maybe a gamma fan coverter like the silverado setup, with a couple of gamma 32's. But pretty much any good lapped piece of honking aluminum or copper with a Delta duct taped to the top will cool a 1.4 ghz Athlon and keep it in safe temps.

P.S. Case cooling is where it counts. That's the real heat dissipator.

These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary.