Nethack on PSP

Wow....FOund a link today for a version of Nethack that runs on a PSP.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8768

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/nethackpsp.shtml

I have been looking at the PSP since it came out, and have waited to
buy one due to the lack of decent software....But this may push me over
the edge to go ahead and buy. Apparently TOME and Angband have been
ported as well.

Does anyone here have a PSP, and have you tried Nethack on it yet?

How hard is it to run this type of software on a PSP? Is it a matter of
downloading the files, putting them on the memory card, and they will
run normally?? Or does it require the PSP to be modded or something
else??

Lemme guess....the firmware upgrade will be required to run certain
software, and there will be no way to roll-back the upgrade to an
earlier version.

Hmm....I was under the impression that Sony was allowing users to
install their own apps....didn't realize it was dependent on a hack.

Thanks for the info. Until their is a decent way to run unofficial
software on a post 1.5 firmware upgrade, I will hold off on purchase.

"Brigand" <markashall@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Wow....FOund a link today for a version of Nethack that runs on a PSP.

This seems to be the development site:

http://virtuamunstaz.de/nh/

>Does anyone here have a PSP, and have you tried Nethack on it yet?

I have just installed it. The controls are quite awkward, predictably;
and not everything works as desribed in the instructions. I have to play
with the .nethackrc, maybe it's just the configuration which is botched.

>How hard is it to run this type of software on a PSP? Is it a matter of
>downloading the files, putting them on the memory card, and they will
>run normally??

Yes, if you have a firmware version which allows this; then you put them
in directory PSP\GAMES on the stick and they will be accessible from the
PSP's menu.

1.5 does, but AFAIK, 2.0 currently does not, and the European PSP will be
shipped with version 2.0. You would then need a firmware hack to run
custom made games.
--
Philipp Lucas
phlucas@online-club.de

Brigand wrote:
> Wow....FOund a link today for a version of Nethack that runs on a PSP.
>
> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8768
>

> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/nethackpsp.shtml

Damn, I didn't think NH would hit the PSP this quickly, but I've been
upgrading my firmware (I'm up to 2.0) so it's useless to me.

> I have been looking at the PSP since it came out, and have waited to
> buy one due to the lack of decent software....But this may push me over
> the edge to go ahead and buy. Apparently TOME and Angband have been
> ported as well.

Hmm I wonder if they'll try porting Vulture's eye. that might work
better on the PSP because of the UI.

> Does anyone here have a PSP, and have you tried Nethack on it yet?

Well Untold Legends is a Diablo-like. :) Seems to be the best selling
PSP game, which makes sense considering how a lot of people who had
battery packs for the PSones, kept Diablo in it. (save anywhere feature
made it more suitable for mobile play)

Sigh, now I need a second PSP with an old firmware :)

CronoCloud (Ron Rogers Jr.)

Philipp Lucas wrote:

> With the PSP port, NetHack has made it into mainstream IT news:
> http://www.golem.de/0508/39894.html

Which, translated, reads:

-------------------------

CULTGAME NETHACK FOR THE PSP

Private Project brings Open Source Game to Sony's Handheld

The Nintendo DS and the PlayStation Portable (PSP) are moving into the
homebrew scene. Hardly a week passes, in which no tinkerer develops
something new for these two game-handhelds. For the PSP, there is now
the game classis NetHack, in which one strolls through catacombs as a
single player and has to recapture the "Amulet of Yendor".

The NetHack dungeon consists of lots of partly random generated levels,
filled with fiendisch monsters as well as magical goodies and other
things. Nowadays, there are also more modern versions of NetHack, which
have 2D-graphics in stead of characters. Those of you who've never heard
of NetHack yet, can play it on the PSP now - provided one already has an
Importmodule with an older Firmware version which through a safety hole
allows for the execution of your own programs from the Memory Stick Pro
Duo.

{ Picture of PSP with screenshot }

For the new Firmware-Version 2.0, whose release is currently delayed in
the USA, there is apparently no way yet to run privately developed
software. Next to this, Sony will probably do its best to close the
known safely holes as soon as possible, since there are already lots of
illegal UMD-images spreading on the Net. To offer their customers an
easy way to use its technology in a creative way is, alas, not one of
Sony's goals. The situation with the Nintendo DS is alike, although
here, one is so far not dependent on certain Firmware versions.

On the PSP, NetHack may be used through a keyboard that uses most keys
three times. To make the game look somewhat more appealing in the
future, the VirtuaMUnstaz team that is responsible for the NetHack
conversion is still looking for graphic artists.

Hope this helps for those that have trouble reading German.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me