Sign in with
Your question

Are AMD CPUs generally hotter than Intel?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2001 1:07:19 AM

Umm.. Check the subject. =)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2001 1:24:50 AM

Flame = heat!!!!!

LOL. Both the same in my book.

OMG IT nearly melted, lucky I had the extra fan *inside*
July 9, 2001 1:46:15 AM

AMD cpus are generally higher power (heat) than Intel cpus.

The newer Athlons are definitely hotter than PIII, and theoretically similar power to PIVs. I have read, but not had proved, that the PIV does not reach it's theoretical max power output and so runs cooler.

The new Athlon4s (not 1.4, the Mobile, MP and Desktop Palomino) are supposed to run at lower voltage and hence lower power - bringing more into line with current PIV, which _should_ also go through a power drop with the .13 micron Northwod release.

In summary - yes that Athlons are hotter than their Intel counterparts, but the gap should be narrowing.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
Related resources
July 9, 2001 10:06:22 AM

The funny this Pete, I've never seen a P4 owner who has overclocked, post any kind of temp's... seems strange to me. By the way, my 1gig Athlon at 1350mzh 150x9 is at a chilly 26C at this very moment, so if you call that hot, then yes I guess AMD is hot. LOL. 39C at full load.

Wonder what a P4 at a 5 overclock runs for a full load temp??

These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2001 11:07:24 PM

What HSB have you got?
July 10, 2001 1:01:09 AM

You are right - there are very few P4 overclocking (or P4 in general) posts in these forums.

I think I saw a couple - stonerboy was ocing his P4 I think.

July 10, 2001 9:30:21 AM

I use 4 Antec 80mm case fans, I think my PSU fan is also 80mm. I use an Alpha Pal-6035MFC with a Delta 7k black label fan on top.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."
July 10, 2001 4:09:47 PM

Exactly, you've gone to extreme measures to keep that temp. Delta fans are ridiculously loud. Now some folks dont mind the high pitched whining of that fan, but dont claim Athlons are actually cool because you spent an additional $70-80 to keep that bad boy at a low temp.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
July 10, 2001 4:19:49 PM

Case cooling is not CPU specific, your other components benefit from lower temps also. Expecially when your overclocked 35%. But you take my post and make it sound like I did my case cooling just to please my CPU, which is not the case.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."
July 10, 2001 8:40:22 PM

I have no problem keeping my cpu much less then 50c at 100% cpu usage without any case cooling fans, 1.2ghz @ 1.4ghz T-Bird. My case is closed too. Sometimes it depends how effective you remove the heat from the case rather then the number of case fans you use. Currently I rehooked up my one and only low volumetric flowrate 80mm intake fan which really appears to do noting for tempertures. I too have a Alpha 6035 with a delta fan, I just did a little ingenuity to absorb the sound noise from the delta fan and I have significatly lowered the noise level.
July 11, 2001 1:26:30 AM

the main reason for that is that the vast majority of P4's are locked...
and no-one knows of any way to unlock them, unlike the athlon/duron and its L1 bridges.
that leaves P4 operators with only the FSB to play with... and its generally accepted that most RDRAM out there cant handle anything above PC900.
that equates to a FSB of around 112.
almost as bad as the earlier athlon/duron B models and their FSB.
a shame really. of the few articles ive seen where the tester was given a factory unlocked P4 they show its easy to get 200-300 Mhz speed increase.
i believe, but cant be certain, that THG was one of these. check through the early p4 articles.

P.S. my athlon 1200C came delivered with uncut bridges... how easy is that to overclock? :) 

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!
July 11, 2001 1:54:48 AM

112FSB on 1.8G P4 is a 200Mhz gain... :o )

I agree to an extent. I think the P4 boards allow altering of the RAM timing to bring the RAM back into spec at higher FSBs though.

July 11, 2001 2:00:00 AM

oh yeah... forgot about that 1/3 multiplier...
even so... the P4 would be real nice with unlocked multipliers.

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!
July 11, 2001 2:38:29 AM

But unfortunately Intel does not oblige us this indulgence so we have to make do.

Maybe they would be kind enought to release a P4 with a 70Mhz FSB and then we could get some real overclocking done!

July 11, 2001 5:34:21 PM

Dude, you cut holes in your case, that's extreme measures in my book. Would your temps be the same without the extra holes? I dont think there is anything wrong with cutting blowholes, waterblocks or creating a tornado inside your systems to keep Athlons cool, but if you want to overclock a Athlon it's absolutely necessary. With a PIII it takes alot less to keep it cool.

Athlons run hotter.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
!