Weird Dual Monitor Question

WeedyBiscuit

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hi,
I am having a wierd problem with my homebuilt computer. I recently added another monitor, and love it,, but I am experiencing a weird problem with it. I can't tell why, but sometimes, my window (chrome) on my secondary monitor will just fly back on to the main monitor. I have no clue why, but it is super annoying. It seems like it has something to do with the mouse, but I can not tell. Does anyone have a fix to this problem.

Specs (not sure if they will help):
Windows 7 Home Premium
i7 3770k
Old Dell Monitor
Acer Monitor
Intel motherboard
HD 7850 1 GB

Thanks in advance.

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
does this happen just with chrome or with all other programs as well?
do you have any files on your desktop? and do they get rearranged as well?
the only thing that comes to my mind is that the gpu is restarting or something which would mess up with the current configurations and send everything to the main monitor rearranging everything

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009

Mixed resolution Multi monitor support has existed in Windows since Windows 98. Granted in those days you had to run multiple graphics cards to achieve this. They do not have to be the same resolution. The simply won't line up in a straight line when moving between them. It is simpler if they are the same resolution.

http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0697/monitor/monitor.aspx
As you can see in the MS Systems Journal published in 1997 his example uses mixed resolutions.

"As you can see, my sample system has two monitors, both using the same pixel color depth. One of my monitors is 1024X768 pixels and the other is 800 X 600 pixels. The 800 X 600 display is on the left, the 1024 X 768 display is on the right, and their bottom pixels are aligned. "

Hi :)

I know its POSSIBLE... I run 3 X iiyama monitors, but its a LOT easier to have the same monitors...

If you are having problem, try Ultramon... (multiple monitor software)

All the best Brett :)

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Mixed res isn't a problem.

Does your mouse have a zoom, magnify, or program switcher button. I had a logictec mouse that had program switcher functionality which only caused problems for windows 8. Check your mouse driver and if you've have something along those lines and don't use it, just disable and you should be ok.