Merging ttyrec files?

Is there any way to merge multiple ttyrec files in order to get a single
one that will play all the way through?

(Nowadays, I have a tendency to play in fits and starts as I have time;
one game can consume a lot of files, too many to comfortably watch.)

--
Kevin Wayne

"Stark raving sane."
--Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> Is there any way to merge multiple ttyrec files in order to get a single
> one that will play all the way through?
>
> (Nowadays, I have a tendency to play in fits and starts as I have time;
> one game can consume a lot of files, too many to comfortably watch.)

Untested on Windows here, but tested on Linux. If you concatenate 2
ttyrec files (and I'm sure by extension of this an arbitrary number of
files can be combined) and save the result as a single file, it will
play in ttyplay without issue. You should be able to perform the
concatenation in a command prompt under Windows using something along
the lines of "copy /b file1+file2+...+file[n] bigfile", taking care to
put the files in the proper order of course!

HTH

-Ken

On 8/11/05 11:38 PM, Ken Cuvelier wrote:

> Untested on Windows here, but tested on Linux. If you concatenate 2
> ttyrec files (and I'm sure by extension of this an arbitrary number of
> files can be combined) and save the result as a single file, it will
> play in ttyplay without issue. You should be able to perform the
> concatenation in a command prompt under Windows using something along
> the lines of "copy /b file1+file2+...+file[n] bigfile", taking care to
> put the files in the proper order of course!

Thanks. Yes, it does seem to work. Unfortunately, it only seems to work
on raw ttyrec files, not bzipped ones. (Termplay plays bzipped files
without unzipping them.) I'll have to unzip the files to concatenate
them. And now I need to finally find a good unzipping utility that works
on bzipped files (WinZip doesn't.)

--
Kevin Wayne

"Stark raving sane."
--Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

> Thanks. Yes, it does seem to work. Unfortunately, it only seems to work
> on raw ttyrec files, not bzipped ones. (Termplay plays bzipped files
> without unzipping them.) I'll have to unzip the files to concatenate
> them. And now I need to finally find a good unzipping utility that works
> on bzipped files (WinZip doesn't.)

try:http://digistar.com/bzip2/

bzip is gnu software...

In article <Xns96B03924FB28Fchuckonilcar@207.35.177.135>, chuck says...

> > Thanks. Yes, it does seem to work. Unfortunately, it only seems to work
> > on raw ttyrec files, not bzipped ones. (Termplay plays bzipped files
> > without unzipping them.) I'll have to unzip the files to concatenate
> > them. And now I need to finally find a good unzipping utility that works
> > on bzipped files (WinZip doesn't.)
> >
> try:http://digistar.com/bzip2/
>
> bzip is gnu software...

You are using Windows, yes? WinRAR is wonderful. Shareware. Integrates
nicely with the shell right click/drag menu.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> In article <Xns96B03924FB28Fchuckonilcar@207.35.177.135>, chuck says...
>>
>> > Thanks. Yes, it does seem to work. Unfortunately, it only seems to work
>> > on raw ttyrec files, not bzipped ones. (Termplay plays bzipped files
>> > without unzipping them.) I'll have to unzip the files to concatenate
>> > them. And now I need to finally find a good unzipping utility that works
>> > on bzipped files (WinZip doesn't.)
>> >
>> try:http://digistar.com/bzip2/
>>
>> bzip is gnu software...
>>

> You are using Windows, yes? WinRAR is wonderful. Shareware. Integrates
> nicely with the shell right click/drag menu.

no, actually I use linux. Reply to O.P. please.

On 8/12/05 8:45 AM, Andrew Kerr wrote:
> In article <Xns96B03924FB28Fchuckonilcar@207.35.177.135>, chuck says...
>

>>try:http://digistar.com/bzip2/
>>
>>bzip is gnu software...
>>

> You are using Windows, yes? WinRAR is wonderful. Shareware. Integrates
> nicely with the shell right click/drag menu.

Thanks for both suggestions. I downloaded 7zip from sourceforge. Seems
like basically what I need.

(And yes, I am unfortunately using Windows.)

--

Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On 8/12/05 8:45 AM, Andrew Kerr wrote:
>> In article <Xns96B03924FB28Fchuckonilcar@207.35.177.135>, chuck says...
>>

>>>try:http://digistar.com/bzip2/
>>>
>>>bzip is gnu software...
>>>

>> You are using Windows, yes? WinRAR is wonderful. Shareware. Integrates
>> nicely with the shell right click/drag menu.
>
> Thanks for both suggestions. I downloaded 7zip from sourceforge. Seems
> like basically what I need.
>
> (And yes, I am unfortunately using Windows.)

My point was that 1) bzip is free (gpl) and 2) there is a version for dos.