Pet green slime

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

One of my pets ate a green slime corpse in Gehennom, so I now have a pet
green slime.

I've never had much to do with green slime; I've heard such bad things
about them on rgrn that I treat them like mindflayers and try to kill
them from a distance. Is a pet green slime of any use, or should I just
dump it somewhere?

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

Alexis wrote:
> One of my pets ate a green slime corpse in Gehennom, so I now have a pet
> green slime.
>
> I've never had much to do with green slime; I've heard such bad things
> about them on rgrn that I treat them like mindflayers and try to kill
> them from a distance. Is a pet green slime of any use, or should I just
> dump it somewhere?

Well, you can practically slime anything with Conflict on, even riders.
Even yourself. Unfortunately, anything hostile slimed, is still
hostile. And they can slime you.

I consider it a 'neat trick to use in rare and odd situations', like
sliming the riders, and then taming them. More of an amusement value
than anything else. I say dump it somewhere or poly it to something
else.

-K

"Alexis" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Is a pet green slime of any use, or should I just
> dump it somewhere?

Be wary. They are something like the evil twins of gremlins, since
they keep cloning (in this case, by sliming other monsters) but -
whereas you'd end up with lots of friendly gremlins - you get lots of
*hostile* slimes.

P.

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

find_my_real_address@CL4.org wrote:
> "Alexis" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > Is a pet green slime of any use, or should I just
> > dump it somewhere?
>
> Be wary. They are something like the evil twins of gremlins, since
> they keep cloning (in this case, by sliming other monsters) but -
> whereas you'd end up with lots of friendly gremlins - you get lots of
> *hostile* slimes.

I'm playing a Healer in this game and have the Staff, so they're not a
huge worry. I got bored of dragging my pet slime around, so tried
zapping it with a /oPoly, and ended up with an Olog-hai, so I'm
reasonably happy.

-- A.

--

The Prophet Alexis known to the wise as me@privacy.net, opened the Book of Words, and read unto the people:
>One of my pets ate a green slime corpse in Gehennom, so I now have a pet
>green slime.

I once had a pet green slime. It was worse then useless. It and my pet
naga went up against something relatively harmless, and the
something got slimed, then slimed my naga, so I had _two_ pet slimes.

I hate pet slimes.

--
D. Jacob (Jake) Wildstrom, Math monkey and freelance thinker

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."
-Alfred Renyi

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily endorsed by the
University of California or math department thereof.

"Kremti" <kremti@gmail.com> writes:

> Alexis wrote:
> > One of my pets ate a green slime corpse in Gehennom, so I now have a pet
> > green slime.
> >
> > I've never had much to do with green slime; I've heard such bad things
> > about them on rgrn that I treat them like mindflayers and try to kill
> > them from a distance. Is a pet green slime of any use, or should I just
> > dump it somewhere?
>
> Well, you can practically slime anything with Conflict on, even riders.

When I tried this once in wizmode with dozens of pet green slimes,
I couldn't even slime one of the three riders. Not even after
polying myself into green slime, leveling up and trying to hit them.

Was this just bad luck?

Best,
Jakob

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
<snip>
> When I tried this once in wizmode with dozens of pet green slimes,
> I couldn't even slime one of the three riders. Not even after
> polying myself into green slime, leveling up and trying to hit them.
>
> Was this just bad luck?

Well, apparently, it takes patients. It was done here as a player
polyed into a slime:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/browse_thread/thread/a756532fbc438449/c996e034156419b5

You could be right though. A pet slime (as oppose to player slime)
might take forever (or even impossible) to hit the riders and you might
just have to do it yourself...

-K

"Kremti" <kremti@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> <snip>
> > When I tried this once in wizmode with dozens of pet green slimes,
> > I couldn't even slime one of the three riders. Not even after
> > polying myself into green slime, leveling up and trying to hit them.
> >
> > Was this just bad luck?
>
> Well, apparently, it takes patients.

No, that's for nurse dancing.

Richard