What to tame?

So, I've got a level 26 Valk that's managed to find a scroll of taming
and I was wondering what you guys think I should go for? There's a
Jabberwock and cocktrice a few levels down from where I am, that's
sounding pretty tempting (Jabberwock being a level five warning,
cocktrice for the obvious reasons :p)

Then again, there's an earth elemental and water elemental here that I
could try to get close together. They move a little slow but I do have
a magic whistle . . .

Side question . . . when I #invoke the Orb of Fate to level teleport,
do my pets come with me if they're right next to me?

Chris the Wizard wrote:
> So, I've got a level 26 Valk that's managed to find a scroll of taming
> and I was wondering what you guys think I should go for? There's a
> Jabberwock and cocktrice a few levels down from where I am, that's
> sounding pretty tempting (Jabberwock being a level five warning,
> cocktrice for the obvious reasons :p)

IMHO, a Jabberwock is a great pet for buffering the attacks against you
and disposing of corpses you can't choke down - they eat ravenously, so
you have to watch out for chameleon/doppleganger corpses. OTOH, a
cockatrice is not a pet that I would acquire given a choice. They're
quite slow and not of high enough base level to attack anything you
would really like to see turned to stone, and no monsters will attack
them unless you're using conflict - which could be dangerous to you!

> Then again, there's an earth elemental and water elemental here that I
> could try to get close together. They move a little slow but I do have
> a magic whistle . . .

A fire elemental would be much better than those two, at least for
enemies that don't resist fire. You're better off, given all that you
have named, just getting the Jabberwock.

> Side question . . . when I #invoke the Orb of Fate to level teleport,
> do my pets come with me if they're right next to me?

Yes they do.

-Ken

Yeah, my original pet turned into a lurker above and ate many a
shopkeeper . . . and priests . . . and dwarftown guards . . . and just
about EVERYTHING else it could get a hold of. hehe.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> I feel sorry for all the wands, armour, weapons and other nice things
> that are also eaten...
>
> --
> Boudewijn.
>
> --
> "I have hundreds of other quotes, just waiting to replace this one
> as my signature..." - Me

It always left their inventory behind. I think worms devour the stuff,
but I managed to get a robe and quite a few spellbooks from my lurker
swallowing up a priest of Loki in dwarftown (I didn't realize he would
eat non-hostiles until then . . .), plus enough gold from all the
shopkeepers he devoured to get a bunch of protection from the priest I
found a few levels down (very lucky).

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

nextbeatle@comcast.net wrote:
> So, I've got a level 26 Valk that's managed to find a scroll of taming
> and I was wondering what you guys think I should go for?

I like purple worms - if you've got a magic whistle and conflict then
they make short work of annoying teleporting creatures such as L's.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

Alexis wrote:
> nextbeatle@comcast.net wrote:
>
>>So, I've got a level 26 Valk that's managed to find a scroll of taming
>>and I was wondering what you guys think I should go for?
>

> I like purple worms - if you've got a magic whistle and conflict then
> they make short work of annoying teleporting creatures such as L's.
>
> -- A.

Bah, once you get the worms rolling you don't even need conflict. The
only things I haven't seen them swallow are giant humanoids and dragons,
although I'm sure there are a few cases of other monsters too big for
their maw. A crew of purple worms in the absence of green slime is an
army to be reckoned with! Oh, by the way, they'll swallow the Riders
too, but it kills the worm off (not sure whether the Rider survives).

-Ken

Chris the Wizard wrote:

> Side question . . . when I #invoke the Orb of Fate to level teleport,
> do my pets come with me if they're right next to me?

You could try it out, you know?

Teleport one level up or down, so you can immediately go back to the
level with your pet on it if it does not work.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me