New cores ?

G

I'm in the process of building the world's greatest $500 computer. To that end, I've decided on the 1Ghz TB 266FSB w/AXIA stepping. Trying to keep the CPU cost under $100. I've heard many favorable things about the AXIA cores being very overclockable but I'm having a hard time finding them (or they are overpriced b/c the vendor is marketing them that way).

Q?: I know AXIAs started appearing in March batches but are the newly manufactured 1 Ghz TBs all coming out with the AXIA core now or are they onto a new batch. If new batches are they as good or better then AXIAs?

Thanx.

This market sucks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Somebody will tell me if I'm wrong, but I belive all the 1.0GHz chips manufactured recently are AXIA's. If oyur looking to overclock, I suggest the "B" 200FSB overclocked to 1333 via 133. That eliminates the need to change the multiplier.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

FatBurger

Illustrious
But if he ends up at 10x133, it doesn't matter which one he buys.

And your best bet is to go and look at the processors to pick which one you want. That's what I did last night for a friend.

And BTW, 1.2's are down to $95 on PriceWatch (plus shipping). You'll get at least an Avia core (what I have), unless you're really unlucky and you happen to get one that was wedged behind a workbench and nobody realized it was there until 8 months later.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
But if he ends up at 10x133, it doesn't matter which one he buys.
But its a lot better performance wise if he can run at 133, I have the axia 1 gig (100) runes fine at 133, some do- some dont...

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

FatBurger

Illustrious
It doesn't matter how you get there, if you're running at the same thing, you've got the same thing.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I only suggest the 1GHz "B" because it does not require any pencil tricks or anything to make it 10x. And if you order one from those crappy places that are always delaying orders because they are out of stock, at least your getting fresh stock.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine