External monitor wont work after windows boots up

vic1562

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hello, I have a Lenovo u400 laptop and im trying to connect my external samsung syncmaster bx2335 to it through an hdmi/dvi adapter.

When it first boots up, the monitor works displaying the lenovo logo but when it gets past the windows logo and onto the log in screen, it switches back to the laptop and the monitor wont respond anymore.

I have uninstalled the video drivers and that make the monitor work when windows was on, but once i tried to reinstall the drivers the problem came back.

and yes, i've tried the fn+f10 switch for the monitor. nothing has worked.

any help?

vic1562

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Yes, i've tried that. Sorry i edited last minute, i forgot to include that. :)

vic1562

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

i only get 1. mobile pc display 2. display device on vga

under devise manager>display adapters i get Intel HD graphics 3000 and Standard VGA Graphics adapter. but the vga adapter has a yellow exclamation point and the device status is: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

That means you don't have the correct graphics driver, hence not being able to get video on the external.

I'm going to assume this is the Lenovo IdeaPad u400 which actually has an AMD chipset and not Intel.

You can get the drivers HERE .

vic1562

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

I installed the drivers and the monitor still wont respond when i switch to extend under connect to projector.
The laptop does detect the monitor though.

Follow this path:
Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution

When you get there, are both the LCD and the external listed there?

If so, when you installed the AMD drivers it should have installed Catalyst Control Center. If it didn't, I recommend installing that as well as it gives you more free control over the display options.

Info on getting the settings correct can be found HERE .

vic1562

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

It doesnt say that there is an external monitor all it says is: Display device on VGA and Display device on Composite. i've tried both but neither worked.

Every time i disable my video card/uninstall the drivers, the external monitor responds and i'm able to use it. but as soon as i reinstall those drivers it will no longer work. are there any older drivers?

Also, this laptop has two Video adapters. An AMD radeon HD 6470m and an Intel HD graphics Family. is there a way to only use the amd adapter? also, under device manager it only shows Generic PnP Monitor for monitors.