Need help optimizing my system for audio recording.

xXxtankzillaxXx

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Ok I have an Asus A55A-EB71 (same specs and body as the K55A with some minor variation (1 USB 2.0 as apposed to 2)) So to save my help the effort of searching for the specs them selves I'm going to paste them below for the simple reason that I don't feel that my help should have to go through any additional effort when I'm coming to them.

Screen Size 15.6 inches
Max Screen Resolution 1366x768 pixels
Processor 2.3 GHz Core i7-3610QM
RAM 4 GB SO-DIMM (1600Mhz)
Hard Drive 500 GB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor Intel GMA HD
Graphics Card Ram Size 1024 MB
Wireless Type 802.11bgn
Number of USB 2.0 Ports 1
Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (up to date with all recent security and os updates)

I am looking to expand my RAM to the max potential of 8GB and also looking into either a sshd (hybrid drive) or ssd depending on what my finances will allow which I know will help out tremendously. According to the processor specs I should be able to record with little to no latency but that's not the case at all...I have nearly 1 second delay between when I play and when it plays back through my on board speakers/headphone input. I have Pro Tools 10 whit a third party (line6 UX1) interface but for some reason I can't get Pro Tools to run on with out getting a run time error and timing out so I resort to using Audacity which is fine other than the latency. Any tweaks or help on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

I do also do some light video editing (mostly cutting up my live performances into tracks for youtube videos (using Corel VideoStudio Pro X3) so nothing too extravagant.) Basically I want my system to run at its full potential while maintaining stability and not stressing my processor or RAM too much.

I do classify myself as an intermediate to advanced cpu user so please use the terminology you see appropriate and if I have questions I will ask. Thanks again for any help I receive.

~Ben

Take a look at the information found HERE and see if that it helps you out.

I do want to mention that if you are only using the integrated audio option you may want to look into a discreet audio option such as a PCI-E add-on card so that you can tweak the audio settings. Intel GMA HD isn't a really good choice for what you're wanting to do but it can be done.

xXxtankzillaxXx

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

Thank you. I will definitely give this a shot and probably post back to offer a conclusion in case someone else has any questions on this same situation.