Did I get a virus?

Minimatt

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Hey guys, I'm not sure why but randomly after powering my computer two days ago it has seemed to be running alot slower. I first noticed when I tried to turn on my computer it would be at the "Starting Windows" menu for a few minutes and then onto a black screen for a few minutes and then finally the desktop. But other times it wouldn't even make it past the blackscreen and it would just stay on that screen. After I got my computer to launch I couldn't launch "Steam" and when I attempted to download Nortin, AVG, they did not work. I tried to turn off my computer and it was on the "shutting down" screen for 30 minutes or so until I finally just held down the power button. I've also tried to do system restore but it doesn't start up (in safe mode also). Also there have been times in which the sound of my computer just randomly stops working and working in a few minutes. If anyone can help me resolve this problem it would be really nice.

Is the computer still slow in safe mode? If you can get to the desktop go to the task manager and look at the "performance" tab with nothing else running. If the CPU usage is high with nothing running that can be an indicator of infection.

Another possibility is a failing hard drive. If you can make it to the desktop you can also look for hard drive diagnostic software (if you know the manufacturer of your hard drive you can go to their support site for their tool)

Minimatt

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Computer isn't really slow, sorry I didn't explain that well but it is slow when opening up the computer tab and looking at the hardrives (usually loads all info instantly). Also, I attempted installing an anti virus and it just kept loading and loading. I restart ed my computer and there is an icon of the program on my desktop even though it wasn't there before. (I just tried to drag an image onto my desktop and its not appearing even though when I try it again it says its there.

http://i.imgur.com/hnYLe28.jpg

It could well be a virus then. You can attempt a system recovery (use the built-in tools to re-install Windows and the factory-installed software). You should back up all data first since this will delete everything and restore your PC to the condition it was in when you first booted it.

If you want to try this, HP recovery tools are usually accessible by pressing F11 on bootup.

Minimatt

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Last time I tried it asked me for a windows repair disk, I attempted to create a windows repair disk and it froze on me. Then I downloaded a windows repair disk of windows 7 64 bit and then tried it. It loaded on the "system restore" part for atleast 30 minutes even though I didn't choose anything. It could be the download for the repair disk, can you maybe link me to a "Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Repair Disk?"

64 bit can access more than 4GB of RAM; your desktop probably already has this. Go to Computer and select System Properties on the command bar on top of the explorer window, that page will show what version of Windows is installed. For activation it doesn't matter (the same keys work on 32 or 64 bit Windows)

Minimatt

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Alright, thanks for the help I'll report back. So Im downloading the "Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-U ISO" 64x and then Im going to burn it to a disk using poweriso and make it launch first, thanks.

PS: Didn't even know I had windows 7 product key on the side of my computer :eek:

Minimatt

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
It almost sort of feelings when im operating the computer that every freezes and doesn't update, like when I put somthing on the desktop it doesn't update unless I restart my computer, if I move somthing into a folder it doesn't show up unless I delete the folder tab and then go back into the folder. I tried to install an update to shockwave player, it froze. What type of hardware failure must this be? Im thinking maybe Harddrive, is there anyway I can check if it is?

Though your screenshot earlier shows it passed hard drive tests the most likely case is a failing hard drive here. That's what the symptoms point to.

Minimatt

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

Maybe its just getting to the point of breaking? (also, my shockwave player has been crashing alot on me)

Minimatt

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
switched hard drives from another one from my old computer and it works fine, thanks for all the help. One last question, what is a way I can make my hard drive last longer?

Hi :)

Hard drives lives are shortened by movement.... don't move it around so much...that's about it...

All the best Brett :)

It's a mechanical device. There isn't really a way to prevent failure unfortunately except for being sure you keep it from getting fragmented too much and keep it cleaned up.

As for the other drive, had you ran any sort of anti-virus scans or even a pre-boot scanner on it? You might try that and see if it helps the situation.

As for the drive passing tests, it is entirely possible especially if it is experiencing spindle drag which is a common issue anymore in older drives and for all intents and purposes the drive is fine it's just the spindle is failing.