Help I'm crashing

G

Hi, I'm building a P4 system, but it keeps crashing. Whenever I install win2k, the computer just shuts down in the middle of installation. This is the specs of my system.

P4 1.7Ghz
Abit TH7-raid mobo
2x40gb ATA 100 7200RPM HD
Switftech MC462Heatsink and Fan
Using Arctic Silver 2 thermal paste
Hercules Prophet 2 GTS 64mb
Sound Blaster Live Platium with liveDrive
10x DVD-Rom Pioneer
Plexwriter 12/10/32A
Enermax E-G451P-v Power Supply
512MB samsung RDRAM

It is probably the tempurature of the CPU that makes it crash, but I don't know why it is so hot? I'm in an air conditioned room about no more than 70degrees F room temp, I'm using rounded IDE cables. When I go into the bios to check the temps...the Board has a temp at around 30dgrees C. and the CPU is about 45degrees...I don't know why it is running this hot? I built many systems before, so I'm not unexperienced.

Any suggestions?

slee

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's because it's a P4. Oh, sorry. I slipped into FAB (FUGGER/AmdMeltdown/bowser) mode for a minute there.

How much Arctic Silver did you use?

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

G

Your temps are fine. I suspect the RAID. Do you press F8 and supply the floppy with the RAID drivers ?

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

G

oops of course, F6
Anyway, when I upgraded my BIOS, win2k wouldnt boot anymore: BSOD "inaccessible boot device". Flashed to the old version, and all went well. Downloaded the latest Promise divers, flashed forward again, and it worked without a hitch. Now, I installed a second installation on the same machine, didnt supply the latest Promise drivers, and it would just reboot during install.. with the new drivers it worked jsut fine.

Its just a thought though.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip