YASD? sort of but then again not

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I just played a chaotic human barbarian that seemed to get all the breaks,
had over 10 blank scrolls before entering the mines, had three bags of
holding just laying arround etc,etc. (if anybody is interested in details I
can follow up with my notes) The point is that I killed a cockatrice wielded
it while wearing gloves, helmet, boots, armor and a cloak fell down a
staircase while burdened while wielding it and SOMEHOW touched it. HOW? and
if I hadn't been wearing a blindfold how would that help as I still would of
fallen? Any input?

"chuck" <chucko@nil.car> wrote in message
>I just played a chaotic human barbarian that seemed to get all the breaks,
> had over 10 blank scrolls before entering the mines, had three bags of
> holding just laying arround etc,etc. (if anybody is interested in details
> can follow up with my notes) The point is that I killed a cockatrice
> wielded
> it while wearing gloves, helmet, boots, armor and a cloak fell down a
> staircase while burdened while wielding it and SOMEHOW touched it. HOW?
> and
> if I hadn't been wearing a blindfold how would that help as I still would
> of
> fallen? Any input?

Balance did that. That is the penalty for walking around weilding one of
those rubber chickens. Un-wield it and you can fall down whatever you like.

Danny

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Daniel Morris" <puterdan@optonline.net> wrote in

> "chuck" <chucko@nil.car> wrote in message
>>I just played a chaotic human barbarian that seemed to get all the breaks,
>> had over 10 blank scrolls before entering the mines, had three bags of
>> holding just laying arround etc,etc. (if anybody is interested in details
>> can follow up with my notes) The point is that I killed a cockatrice
>> wielded
>> it while wearing gloves, helmet, boots, armor and a cloak fell down a
>> staircase while burdened while wielding it and SOMEHOW touched it. HOW?
>> and
>> if I hadn't been wearing a blindfold how would that help as I still would
>> of
>> fallen? Any input?
>
> Balance did that. That is the penalty for walking around weilding one of
> those rubber chickens. Un-wield it and you can fall down whatever you
like.

> Danny

yeah, but HOW did I touch it? and would not wearing a blindfold make a
difference. If so than there is DEFINITELY something wrong. Sorry if it
sounds angry, but it could easily have been my best finish ever.

chuck wrote:

> yeah, but HOW did I touch it? and would not wearing a blindfold make a
> difference. If so than there is DEFINITELY something wrong. Sorry if it
> sounds angry, but it could easily have been my best finish ever.

I discovered this little gotcha by hitting a land mine on level
forty-something. Look on the bright side; you'll never do it again.
Just unweild the c corpse before moving around at all.

Topi Linkala wrote:

> There is always some places between your armor pieces that get exposed
> when you tumble down the chairs. No you can picture it like this:
>
> You're deceding steep uneven stairs while having the rubber chicken in
> hand and being burdened (or worse) you trip. Automaticallly you try to
> cushion the fall with your hands and the rubber chiken being in your
> hand touches you chin or neck or nose. Same goes if you are one of those
> that cushion the fall by turning and tucking the head in and cover it
> with hands. Once again the rubber chicken is in the hand and going close
> to the exposed face.

The fact that nobody wears pants in the dungeon doesn't help either :p

"micromoog" <micromoog@gmail.com> wrote:
>The fact that nobody wears pants in the dungeon doesn't help either :p

False. *Everyone* wears pants. The proof? Sitting on a cockatrice
corpse does not petrify your arse.
illusion/kinetics controlling is love

> "Daniel Morris" <puterdan@optonline.net> wrote in
>

>> "chuck" <chucko@nil.car> wrote in message
>>>I just played a chaotic human barbarian that seemed to get all the
>>>breaks,
>>> had over 10 blank scrolls before entering the mines, had three bags of
>>> holding just laying arround etc,etc. (if anybody is interested in
>>> details
>>> can follow up with my notes) The point is that I killed a cockatrice
>>> wielded
>>> it while wearing gloves, helmet, boots, armor and a cloak fell down a
>>> staircase while burdened while wielding it and SOMEHOW touched it. HOW?
>>> and
>>> if I hadn't been wearing a blindfold how would that help as I still
>>> would
>>> of
>>> fallen? Any input?
>>
>> Balance did that. That is the penalty for walking around weilding one of
>> those rubber chickens. Un-wield it and you can fall down whatever you
> like.
>>
>> Danny
>>

> yeah, but HOW did I touch it? and would not wearing a blindfold make a
> difference. If so than there is DEFINITELY something wrong. Sorry if it
> sounds angry, but it could easily have been my best finish ever.

The other posters in this thread covered the reasons why this could have
happened, i'll make my point clear.

NHiNRL (Nethack is not real life) Some things in NetHack happen because the
DevTeam says they do. For reasons of balance, one cannot wander the dungeon
with impunity carrying the full AK-47 ascension kit, including the rubber
chicken of statue making. Those who do risk making statues of themselves to
be broken open by the loaders of bonesfiles. (if the RNG decided to save
bones)

Falling while wielding a rubber chicken is an instakill, and one always
falls down stairs when descending while burdened.

Danny
Has left many pretty(ugly) statues around the dungeon (and ghennom)

In article <ddqoam$e2e$2@nyytiset.pp.htv.fi>, Topi Linkala says...

> Are you sure that it cannot remove your gauntlets if you charisma is >= 20?
>
> Topi

The Nethack Incubus and Succubus Spoiler

By Ray Chason
Version 1.1

Last updated: 18 Jan 2000

2.2 Charisma and the Magic Number 20

The probability that the foocubus will do certain things before and
after the encounter is:

Charisma/20.

The affected acts are:

- (Female characters) Asking before putting a ring of adornment
on your finger.
- (Male characters) Asking before taking your ring of adornment.
- Asking before removing each article of armor.
- Not taking your gold after the encounter ("The succubus demands
that you pay her, but you refuse...").

The probability of these acts becomes 100% when charisma is at least
20; a character who makes this number has complete control of the
encounter. This, of course, requires at least a +2 ring of adornment
(+4 for dwarves and orcs).

Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> "micromoog" <micromoog@gmail.com> wrote:
>>The fact that nobody wears pants in the dungeon doesn't help either :p

> False. *Everyone* wears pants. The proof? Sitting on a cockatrice
> corpse does not petrify your arse.

Oh yeah? How come they don't show up in your inventory and can't be
stolen, damaged, or destroyed (by fire, rot, polymorph, etc.)? Clearly
we are faced with either accepting the existence of magically reforming
fooproof pants permanently affixed to the player's body, or a magic
interaction between arses and cockatrice corpses. Quite the
metaphysical dilemma.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <jdw@panix.com> wrote:

> Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > "micromoog" <micromoog@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>The fact that nobody wears pants in the dungeon doesn't help either :p
>
> > False. *Everyone* wears pants. The proof? Sitting on a cockatrice
> > corpse does not petrify your arse.
>
> Oh yeah? How come they don't show up in your inventory and can't be
> stolen, damaged, or destroyed (by fire, rot, polymorph, etc.)?

All NetHack protagonists are experienced Usenetters, and wear asbestos
longjohns. _Tight_ asbestos longjohns.

Richard

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner <jdw@panix.com> wrote in

> Martin Read <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> "micromoog" <micromoog@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>The fact that nobody wears pants in the dungeon doesn't help either :p
>
>> False. *Everyone* wears pants. The proof? Sitting on a cockatrice
>> corpse does not petrify your arse.
>
> Oh yeah? How come they don't show up in your inventory and can't be
> stolen, damaged, or destroyed (by fire, rot, polymorph, etc.)? Clearly
> we are faced with either accepting the existence of magically reforming
> fooproof pants permanently affixed to the player's body, or a magic
> interaction between arses and cockatrice corpses. Quite the
> metaphysical dilemma.

I guess an argument could be made for armor having pants, but otherwise...

> Falling while wielding a rubber chicken is an instakill, and one always
> falls down stairs when descending while burdened.

Ok, I guess I can accept that (at least it can't be changed, that much is
certain)

chuck wrote:

> I guess an argument could be made for armor having pants, but otherwise...

New armor items -

iron greaves (2 AC points)

cloth kilt (help/hurt charisma per enchantment)

leather chaps (helps riding, protects against snake bites)

"Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> writes:
> [ YANI: a "pants" armor slot ]
> leather chaps (helps riding, protects against snake bites)

Old and busted: The Keystone Kops.
New hotness: The Village People.

Douglas Henke <henke@kharendaen.dyndns.org> wrote:
> "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> writes:
>> [ YANI: a "pants" armor slot ]
>> leather chaps (helps riding, protects against snake bites)

> Old and busted: The Keystone Kops.
> New hotness: The Village People.

Heh. And if you put on the chaps while hallucinating?
"You feel it would be fun to stay at the YMCA!"

--

chuck wrote:
> "Daniel Morris" <puterdan@optonline.net> wrote in
>

> > Falling while wielding a rubber chicken is an instakill, and one always
> > falls down stairs when descending while burdened.
> >

> Ok, I guess I can accept that (at least it can't be changed, that much is
> certain)

You could always create a more chicken-friendly patch, and see what
that does to play balance through experience. Who knows, maybe ppl will
decide that they prefer it your way after all.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> chuck wrote:
>
>>"Daniel Morris" <puterdan@optonline.net> wrote in
>>
>>>Falling while wielding a rubber chicken is an instakill, and one always
>>>falls down stairs when descending while burdened.
>>
>>Ok, I guess I can accept that (at least it can't be changed, that much is
>>certain)
>
> You could always create a more chicken-friendly patch, and see what
> that does to play balance through experience. Who knows, maybe ppl will
> decide that they prefer it your way after all.

I wouldn't use such patch. In addition of not falling on the rubber
chicken there is another reason to unwield it after use.

If you do and wield your normal weapon then you never have to face a
situation where the rubber chicken has rotted without your notice and
you start to pummel fiends with your fists.

And you check that you really have the rubber chicken before wielding it
again.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

> I wouldn't use such patch. In addition of not falling on the rubber
> chicken there is another reason to unwield it after use.
>
> If you do and wield your normal weapon then you never have to face a
> situation where the rubber chicken has rotted without your notice and
> you start to pummel fiends with your fists.
>
> And you check that you really have the rubber chicken before wielding it
> again.

no, it would disappear from inventory and you would know it, because you are
holding it...

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

> You could always create a more chicken-friendly patch, and see what
> that does to play balance through experience. Who knows, maybe ppl will
> decide that they prefer it your way after all.

haven't done any patches yet, won't until I really get a handle on the
balance of the game. I tried slashem for a while and those angelic "pets" do
tend to unbalance the game to the point where you can go down and down
without dying until - BAM quick death.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote in

> chuck wrote:
>>
>> I guess an argument could be made for armor having pants, but otherwise...
>
> New armor items -
>
> iron greaves (2 AC points)
>
> cloth kilt (help/hurt charisma per enchantment)
how about a fear factor: raising kilt scares enemies (ala Carry on Up the
Kyber).