MN 700 router - do you need a base station?

I have the mn 700 router and used it before with a desktop
as the base station and my laptop elsewhere.

I now only have the laptop and cannot connect to the
internet - I do have a signal from my wifi card but cannot
connect (unless I plug in the laptop).

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Shona

Sounds like either a WEP encryption key or SSID mismatch (assuming you're
not using MAC filtering on the base). The MN-700 and the client settings
have to match up. As a test, connect to the base station, and configure it
not to use encryption, then on the laptop client, set the SSID to ANY. Then
unplug from the base station and try to go wireless. If it works, then make
the proper adjustments to regain encryption and privacy.

"Shona" <shona@northrock.bm> wrote in message
>I have the mn 700 router and used it before with a desktop
> as the base station and my laptop elsewhere.
>
> I now only have the laptop and cannot connect to the
> internet - I do have a signal from my wifi card but cannot
> connect (unless I plug in the laptop).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated !
> Shona

Thanks Mike - Will try it tonight !