P3 800
15GB Maxtor HD
SoundBlaster Live!
Radeon 8500 128MB
8x4x32 Creative CDRW
NEC DVD Drive
Soyo SY-6BA+100 Mobo

Background:
I wanted to put in my RealMagic Hollywood Plus! I had in an older computer because I found that my CPU wasn't able to keep up with putting DVD out to my TV and my monitor at the same time and had bad FPS. Once I rebooted it would go to the windows loading screen and just freeze half grey. I then unplugged it and kept trying to plug it in and eventually got it to work and was able to update drivers. Then I rebooted and again I had this faded loading screen freezing again. I tried pulling both cards out and just putting Radeon in etc. but was not able to get anything to work so decided to reinstall windows XP even though I had just done it a few days earlier, because I try to get it done twice a year just to make things run smoother. It started to load the drivers fine but then would always freeze right before the screen where you get to choose which partition to install onto. It's the blue screen where it says windows is starting up on the bottom.

What I've tried:
I've tried setting bios to defaults, turning off PNP Os, turning off ACPI and various other functions with no luck. It still freezes at the loading screen. I then installed XP onto my HD on a buddies computer and it still wouldn't boot windows. I was also getting some other errors like the monitor wouldn't turn on and the Ram wouldn't show up but then flashed the bios again with most recent although it was the same bios I had earlier. This seemed to fix the rebooting and ram problems but still wouldn't boot windows. I then tried installing Win 2K (for some reason this worked and it got past the screen) and tried installing XP over it with no luck. So now I'm unfortunately using 2K and haven't been able to install XP. I've also tried 2 different XP discs so it's not the disc. Again, I was able to install XP a few days ago and have done this various times before.

I do know quite alot about computers and am the go to guy for my friends along with my other buddy I tried messing with it with and installed XP on his computer onto my hard drive so don't be afraid to use the lingo. I've also built computers and have taken courses on them along with my friend. My assumption is my Mobo crapped out but it doesn't make sence that I can install 2K and not XP.

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
have you defribulated the combobulator?

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Check your temps. Take the case cover off and blow a fan on the chassis and see if that helps.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>