Questions: Enchanting, damage

1. How do you all get weapons to +7/armor to +5? In particular, if you
enchant something to +6/+4, what's the standard way to lower the
enchantment on it? Do you curse some scrolls or is there an easier way
(e.g. unblessing your weapon and engraving with it)?
2. Does double-damage on weapons affect strength bonuses?

John Campbell wrote:
> > 2. Does double-damage on weapons affect strength bonuses?
>
> Yes. I don't recall whether skill bonuses are doubled, but
> strength and enchantment bonuses are. Silver damage isn't.

Skill isn't AFAIK.

In this case, the artifact spoiler which compares weapon damage is
overvaluing things like Mjollnir relative to things like Grayswandir
and Frost Brand--that high strength gives you +6 damage with the
former, but +12 with the latter.

So instead of the average being 26.5 vs 32 for Mjollnir/Frost Brand,
it's more like 32.5/44.

sjdevnull@yahoo.com wrote:
> 1. How do you all get weapons to +7/armor to +5? In particular, if you
> enchant something to +6/+4, what's the standard way to lower the
> enchantment on it? Do you curse some scrolls or is there an easier way
> (e.g. unblessing your weapon and engraving with it)?

There are several alternate methods... engraving will dull most
edged weapons. Zapping drain life at them will reduce their enchantment.
You can cancel them and start over. You can dance with a disenchanter.

Me, I don't bother. I find that the extra plus is seldom worth
the trouble.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com