New AMD System Won’t Post – HELP!

SH0DAN

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Greetings all!

I finally decided to take the plunge and dive into an AMD system – I have always been an Intel sheep before :) I received my online component order yesterday and proceeded to put my dream machine together. Unfortunately, I was unable to get the system up and running. Here are the component specifics:

Asus A7A266 motherboard
256mb Crucial PC2400 DDR ram
AMD Athlon 1.2GHz Thunderbird
Asus V8200 Deluxe GeForce 3 - 64mb DDR
IBM Deskstar 75GXP – 27.3gb
Promise Ultra 100 IDE controller card
Soundblaster Live Value
Sony 24x CD ROM
Enlight case w/300 watt power source
Several case fans

Following the hardware installation, I proceeded to plug in the power cable, at which time the motherboard led lit up (my heart quickened). One last check of the connections and on with the power switch – my speakers popped and the motherboard fans spun for ½ a second – then nothing. I double checked the connections and made sure the dip switches were all set to auto, reconnected the power cable, but again the same problem. Immediately I thought it seemed like a power source problem. However, I checked the motherboard manual and it states a 300 watt power supply with a +5vpn (or something) is adequate. The power source label indicates it is a +5vpn. I even tried removing the power cables from the HD and CDROM to see if the extra juice would get this box to post – still nothing. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hardware Junkie

One of the hardware components isn't in right. Just reseat the video card and\or the CPU. Try the video card first. The CPU could be seated incorrectly. Also try reseating all other cards and with the drives disconnected see if it posts. if it does turn it off and attach the drives and you are on your way.

May i ask, how did you post this if your computer doesn't work?

macodi

Distinguished
May 24, 2001
I'd take out everything except the proc. and ram. Unhook all the extra fans. Check where you have the heatsink fan plugged in. Most mobos have at least 2 connectors and not sure which one the A7A requires as primary. I didn't see a heatsink listed and pretty sure it'll shut down quick if not plugged in.

-------------------------------------------------------
Those aren't pillows!

G

Some good advice above - whenever I build a new system, I first boot it with only processor and RAM hooked up. If it hits post, both of those are seated fine, then I add each component individually, re-booting every time. But then again, I'm a bit crazy.

Make sure your RAM is in the right slot. Some motherboards REALLY don't like having only one stick of RAM and it being shoved in the second DIMM slot.

This is my signature.

You also want to get the latest BIOS update for your motherboard too. I just read that your board that the anandtech site used had problems until they flashed the BIOS to the latest verison.

G

Worry about getting your system to pass POST before worrying about a BIOS flash. :)

This is my signature.

SH0DAN

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Thanks for all the replies! I can't wait to get home and try to get this baby up and running. To answer your question regarding how was I able to post this message, I use a laptop at work.

Thanks!

Hardware Junkie

G

I dont know if that Asus board has any jumpers, but you may want to check all your jumper settings just to make sure. I helped someone build an Athlon system with an Iwill KK266-r board. It would do the same exact thing your is doing, we had the jumpers messed. After fixing that, it worked fine. Just a thought.

G

AMD rules intel users dont help intel users well us AMD users know who the smarter users are: *AMD*

AMD user's always have the edge !