Can't make Logitech software see webcam

Since installing SP2, my Logitech webcam keeps telling me the camera is
already in use by another program. As far as I can tell, it's NOT, but
that's the message I keep getting. It works with Windows Messenger, but will
not work with the Image Studio software which came on the CD I got along
with the webcam. I also get the same message from Window's Movie Maker. I
have searched all over my PC for this mysterious program that's supposed to
be using my webcam, but I just don't see any other programs which use a
webcam. I don't use Yahoo, or ICQ or anything....'just Messenger. Is there
some program or app., I've overlooked in Windows XP Pro? I've been at this
for more than a week now uninstalling and re-installing the software on the
CD, but have had no luck at all.
Any help appreciated.
Eos.

(My cam is a Logitech QuickCam Express).

I don't have that problem. I'd try removing the software and
reinstalling the latest logitech software.

Eos wrote:

> Since installing SP2, my Logitech webcam keeps telling me the camera is
> already in use by another program. As far as I can tell, it's NOT, but
> that's the message I keep getting. It works with Windows Messenger, but will
> not work with the Image Studio software which came on the CD I got along
> with the webcam. I also get the same message from Window's Movie Maker. I
> have searched all over my PC for this mysterious program that's supposed to
> be using my webcam, but I just don't see any other programs which use a
> webcam. I don't use Yahoo, or ICQ or anything....'just Messenger. Is there
> some program or app., I've overlooked in Windows XP Pro? I've been at this
> for more than a week now uninstalling and re-installing the software on the
> CD, but have had no luck at all.
> Any help appreciated.
> Eos.
>
> (My cam is a Logitech QuickCam Express).

thom

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrackets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> Since installing SP2, my Logitech webcam keeps telling me the camera is
> already in use by another program. As far as I can tell, it's NOT, but
> that's the message I keep getting. It works with Windows Messenger, but
> will
> not work with the Image Studio software which came on the CD I got along
> with the webcam. I also get the same message from Window's Movie Maker. I
> have searched all over my PC for this mysterious program that's supposed
> be using my webcam, but I just don't see any other programs which use a
> webcam. I don't use Yahoo, or ICQ or anything....'just Messenger. Is there
> some program or app., I've overlooked in Windows XP Pro? I've been at this
> for more than a week now uninstalling and re-installing the software on
> the
> CD, but have had no luck at all.
> Any help appreciated.
> Eos.
>
> (My cam is a Logitech QuickCam Express).

Taken from the Logitech Support site: (Answer ID 80)

"When starting the camera I receive an error the camera's not present, or
the camera is already in use."
Check for Other Running Video Applications
If another video application is running, the camera driver might still be in
use by that application. Examples of other video applications are Yahoo!
Messenger or Windows Movie Maker. If another video application is running,
exit out of it and then start the Logitech Camera Software.

Install the Latest Version of DirectX
Before continuing with diagnostics, please make sure you are using the
latest release of DirectX. You can download the latest release here.

1.. Unplug the camera.
2.. Uninstall the camera software using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows
Control Panel.
1.. Click "Start", "Settings", and "Control Panel".
2.. Double click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
3.. Highlight the Logitech camera software and click the Add/Remove
button. (Change/Remove if you are using Windows XP.)
3.. Install the latest DirectX version from Microsoft.
4.. Reinstall the camera software.
Verify That the Device Has Been Loaded in the Device Manager
When Windows correctly detects the Logitech video camera, it will load 2-3
entries in the Device Manager, depending on the camera being used. Please do
the following:

1.. Press the CTRL, ALT and DEL keys simultaneously to bring up the Task
Manger.
2.. End task on LVCOMS.EXE.
3.. Open the Device Manager and remove the camera.
4.. Click the "Start" button, "Settings", then "Control Panel". (For
Windows XP and Windows 2000, click "Start", then "Control Panel.")
5.. Double click on the "System" icon.
6.. Click on the "Device Manager" tab. Windows XP and Windows 2000 users,
click on the Hardware Tab, then the Device Manager button.
7.. Click on the plus (+) sign next to "Imaging Device". A properly
installed camera will load an entry in this section entitled "Logitech USB
Video Camera". If this entry does not exist, or is listed with a yellow
exclamation mark (!), remove it and proceed to the next step.
8.. Next click on the plus (+) sign next to "Universal serial bus
controller".
9.. Remove the entry for "Logitech USB Camera" and proceed to the next
step.
10.. (For cameras with a built in Microphone.) Click on the plus (+) sign
next to "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers".
11.. Remove the entry for "Logitech USB Microphone" and proceed to the
next step.
12.. Unplug the Camera
Delete the Driver Folder and Reinstall the Driver
For the following step, please have the Logitech camera software CD readily
available. Use the instructions that apply to the software version your
camera uses.

ImageStudio 7.3.0 software
NOTE: the QCDriver folder might have a number at the end of the name
(E.g., QCDriver2); delete this folder.

1.. Double click on My Computer.
2.. Open the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\
3.. Right click on the QCDriver (or QCDriver#) folder and select "Delete."
Finally, reinstall the driver for the camera by doing the following:

1.. Insert the Logitech ImageStudio 7.3.0 camera software CD in the CD-ROM
drive. Click Cancel if the auto-run starts.
2.. Double click on "My Computer" on the Windows Desktop. When the window
opens, right click on the CD-ROM and choose "Explore."
3.. Double click on the QCDriver folder pertaining to the QCDriver folder
you deleted in the instructions above.
4.. Double click on SETUP.EXE to reinstall the driver
QuickCam 8.x software:

1.. Double click on My Computer.
2.. Open the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\ folder.
3.. Right click on the QCDRV folder and select "Delete".
4.. Open the C:\Windows\System32\ folder.
5.. Delete all files that start with "lv".
6.. Open C:\Windows\Twain_32\ folder.
7.. Right click on the QuickCam folder and select "Delete".
Finally, reinstall the driver for the camera by doing the following:

1.. Insert the Logitech QuickCam 8.x camera software CD in the CD-ROM
drive. Click Cancel if the auto-run starts.
2.. Double click on "My Computer" on the Windows Desktop. When the window
opens, right click on the CD-ROM and choose "Explore."
3.. Double click on the BIN folder.
4.. Double click on SETUP.EXE to reinstall the driver
Note: You may encounter a signature error during this process; just
simply bypass this warning.