Stupid Newbie Question: Call vs Name

Last response: in Video Games
August 19, 2005 1:44:56 PM

I tried searching and couldn't find a definitive answer. But what's the
difference in Calling an Object and Naming an Individual Object. Does it
have something to do with the way things will stack?
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:44:57 PM

Zappo Zizzibun wrote:
> I tried searching and couldn't find a definitive answer. But what's the
> difference in Calling an Object and Naming an Individual Object. Does it
> have something to do with the way things will stack?

Hi,

naming an individual object allows you to state informations
valid for this object, like 'this wand is empty' for instance.
Calling a class of objects is done by answering no when asked
if you want to name an individual object.
This will cause all objects in the game with the same aspect
to be called the same. For instance, if you discover that copper
wand is make invisible in your game, and call your wand 'make
invisible', each time you will stumble upon one in the future
the game will say 'you see a wand called make invisible' rather
than 'you see a copper wand'.

Naming an individal object will also affect the way it stacks with
other of the same type: I think only objects that are named with
the same name will stack together (hence 'a potion of healing' and
'a potion of healing named cursed' will never stash in the same
inventory letter).

chlorien
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:44:57 PM

Zappo Zizzibun wrote:
> I tried searching and couldn't find a definitive answer. But what's the
> difference in Calling an Object and Naming an Individual Object. Does it
> have something to do with the way things will stack?

(C)all is for pets and monsters.
(N)ame all objects will name the whole class of objects. For example, I
suspect all Purple potions are sleeping, so I (N)ame them all
"sleeping?". If I later ID purple potions as sleeping, the name I
allocated will be replaced by the IDed name (sleeping).
(N)ame an individual object is a name for that one specific object. For
example, I don't know about that purple potion over there, but I
suspect this particular purple potion in my inventory is cursed, so I
(N)ame it "Cursed?" This label will stick even after the item is IDed.
August 21, 2005 5:12:54 AM

> Naming an individal object will also affect the way it stacks with
> other of the same type: I think only objects that are named with
> the same name will stack together (hence 'a potion of healing' and
> 'a potion of healing named cursed' will never stash in the same
> inventory letter).

they won't anyways because one is cursed and the other isn't. It allows you
to KNOW which is cursed without IDing both.
!