Alchemy question

Hi,

according to the spoiler on alchemy I found
(http://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/nethack/spoilers/330/pot2-330.html),
if I mix potions of enlightenment and levitation, I have
2 chances in 3 of getting a potion of gain level.

But what happens if I dip several potions of, say, enlightenment,
into one potion of levitation? Are all the potion I get of the
same type, or are 2/3 of the potions gain level?

I guess that all the potions I get are of the same type,
because this is the worst case. ;)

chlorine
5 answers Last reply
More about alchemy question

    chlorine wrote:

    > according to the spoiler on alchemy I found

    (http://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/nethack/spoilers/330/pot2-330.html
    ),
    > if I mix potions of enlightenment and levitation, I have
    > 2 chances in 3 of getting a potion of gain level.
    >
    > But what happens if I dip several potions of, say, enlightenment,
    > into one potion of levitation? Are all the potion I get of the
    > same type, or are 2/3 of the potions gain level?

    That's the whole point of alchemy.

    By the way, why aren't you using:

    ftp://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/nethack/spoilers/343/pot2-343.txt

    It's not HTML, but at least it's the latest version...

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > chlorine wrote:
    >
    > > according to the spoiler on alchemy I found
    > >
    > (http://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/nethack/spoilers/330/pot2-330.html
    > ),
    > > if I mix potions of enlightenment and levitation, I have
    > > 2 chances in 3 of getting a potion of gain level.
    > >
    > > But what happens if I dip several potions of, say, enlightenment,
    > > into one potion of levitation? Are all the potion I get of the
    > > same type, or are 2/3 of the potions gain level?
    >
    > That's the whole point of alchemy.

    OK, I _swear_ I pondered your answer, but still cannot figure
    it out. Could you try to be a little more explicit please?
    Maybe my formulation of the question was bad?

    > By the way, why aren't you using:
    >
    > ftp://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/nethack/spoilers/343/pot2-343.txt
    >
    > It's not HTML, but at least it's the latest version...

    For some reason I wasn't aware of this file, I'll use this one
    from now on. Thanks for the update.

    chlorine.

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, chlorine wrote:

    > if I mix potions of enlightenment and levitation, I have
    > 2 chances in 3 of getting a potion of gain level.
    >
    > But what happens if I dip several potions of, say, enlightenment,
    > into one potion of levitation? Are all the potion I get of the
    > same type, or are 2/3 of the potions gain level?

    All potions will have the same type.

    --
    Philipp Lucas
    phlucas@online-club.de

    chlorine wrote:
    > Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    >> chlorine wrote:

    >>> if I mix potions of enlightenment and levitation, I have
    >>> 2 chances in 3 of getting a potion of gain level.

    >>> But what happens if I dip several potions of, say, enlightenment,
    >>> into one potion of levitation? Are all the potion I get of the
    >>> same type, or are 2/3 of the potions gain level?

    >> That's the whole point of alchemy.

    > OK, I _swear_ I pondered your answer, but still cannot figure
    > it out. Could you try to be a little more explicit please?
    > Maybe my formulation of the question was bad?

    I now see what you mean. I misunderstood your question.

    Well, it works just like blessing multiple things. When you dip 20
    potions of water into one potion of holy water, the one holy water is
    consumed, and the 20 potions of water are blessed, becoming holy water.

    All potions are of the same type. I guess it's because it circumvents
    the problem that you'd need an extra slot in your inventory when all
    a-zA-Z are already occupied. Also, it makes it a bigger gamble.

    For example, if you have 20 potions of confusion, you could dip all of
    them into a potion of gain energy, and have a 2/3 chance of ending up
    with 20 potions of booze (not what you want), and only a 1/3 chance of
    getting 20 potions of enlightenment (what you really want).

    You could decide to dip 10 potions of confusion in a potion of gain
    energy twice, and your chances of getting at least 10 potions of gain
    energy would, of course, go up. However, this would cost you 2 potions
    of gain energy in total, and thus would be more costly.

    See the spoiler pot2-343.txt on the site mentioned earlier, by the way,
    for more information on alchemy, but I guess you already have that
    spoiler.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me

    "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
    > chlorine wrote:
    >
    > > according to the spoiler on alchemy I found
    > >
    > > (http://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/nethack/spoilers/330/pot2-330.html
    >
    > By the way, why aren't you using:
    >
    > ftp://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/nethack/spoilers/343/pot2-343.txt
    >
    > It's not HTML, but at least it's the latest version...

    For values of "latest" equal to "slightly out of date" :-) (I updated
    the master version at http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/pot2-343.txt
    a few days ago, to answer Ken Cuvelier's request for more details on
    polymorph potion messages.)

    : "Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both :
    : 'No' and 'Yes' and 'Try another newsgroup'." :
    : -- Usenet Rule 17. :

Games Video Games