Hot hot bug bug again with the new AMD/via chipse

G

Actually, all you need to read is the title.

It's talking about incompatibilities between the AMD 762 north bridge and the Via VT82C686B south bridge.

The 762 is the north bridge for the dual athlon platform (760MP). There is only one MB available that uses the 762 northbridge, and it doesn't use the Via south bridge (it uses the AMD-766).

So, this issue is only of concern to motherboard manufactures (& Via) as they work on more dual athlon products.

<i>The early bird gets the worm...
but the second mouse gets the cheese!</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, but thanks for crying wolf, juin.
If you ever have anything that actually matters to say, don't bother.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Noko whats your choice:

P4 Northwood / ATi Chipset vs. Athlon 4 / Nforce

Both will support dual channel DDR memory.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Depends if the Nforce supports the Radeon 2 or not. From what I can tell the Athlon 4 and Nforce will be a better performing setup. I am eagerly awaiting for the Northwood and hope Intel opens up the throttle wide open and let the chip perform. As in 512k of cache and max out what ever the chip can perform in speed (ghz). Intel needs to skip this lame 100mhz speed increments on ghz chips trying to bleed dry everyone possible. If Intel just let loose and blow away AMD processors by cracking up the speed in the Northwood then that maybe my next chipset. Not sure if I will buy a ATI chipset because I don't like integrated video solutions unless it is hydravision capable with the AGP card then that would be cool. As for DDR or RDRam I could care less, I will buy the one that performs the best for the money.

G

>Amd incompatible with VIA LOL! this is worth 10. :)

*shrug*

An incompatibility that no end user (except maybe some beta testers) has ever seen. It's a developmental bug, caught before the release (unlike some other cases I don't need to mention).

Sorry, no points for that one.

FatBurger

Illustrious
8x AGP? 4x isn't even maxed out yet. Can we really use 8x?
I mean sure, it's good for the future, but will anything use it when the MB comes out?

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I am not planning on any major system upgrade until late next year. I may end up with a Radeon 2, maybe not. For sure a Radeon 3 or GF4(5)? if they are really good. So then I will seriously consider my options. Intel should really lay down the speed in the Northwood, that is what the P4 is designed to do instead of playing tag and teeter-tooter with the T-Birds. Prices for Intel cpu's for the performance is just plain ridicules at the moment. Maybe Intel is worried about being labelled as a monopoly, I don't know but the last two years is not Intels best.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 07/12/01 11:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Maybe Intel is worried about being labelled as a monopoly, I don't know but the last two years is not Intels best.

I already been do.I dont read all on this but i think intel have decide to negocite.That 2 year old i think.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
K7D Master

The only mobo that will be release with "normal" price.AMD 761 have the same prob.The probleme is cause be the implantation.

G

>K7D Master
I didn't find any specs to confirm whether they use the problem combination or not. I didn't look to hard either, no time right now.

But the board is not released yet (at least it's not on pricewatch). If it is released with those bugs intact, then you can bitch about it all you want.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I dug a little deeper. The problem exists in the AMD761 chipset, but AMD outlines a component-level fix for it--the addition of a few resistors on the motherboard takes care of the problem. The fact that I have this combination, have the IO-APIC enabled in the kernel, and still have a rock-solid system puts the nail in the coffin. Zero points for this one...

As for the K7D, I don't even care until the board's on PriceWatch. I probably won't care then either, cos I'd go for the Tyan anyways, just to get away from VIA crap.

There is also an obscure issue with the 761+VIA 686B+registered memory+ACPI STR for which AMD has no fix. I suppose that's worth maybe a half point.

Now here's the ultimate question: would you consider this an AMD incompatibility or a VIA incompatibility?

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

G

"Now here's the ultimate question: would you consider this an AMD incompatibility or a VIA incompatibility?"

Well, since the northbridge is designed for AMD's product by AMD, and the south bridge is designed by a third party for the product, I would guess that it's *another* VIA issue.

Aklein

It's July. O the Joy of Summer!

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
just to get away from VIA crap.

WOW i never expect that.So you admit that there a prob and it been like that all the time with VIA.ALI suck too less that VIA but suck.SIS the only left SIS 735 is still to be prove.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 07/15/01 04:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I don't believe VIA's poor quality was ever in dispute. VIA sucks badly. But hey, VIA makes motherboards for Intel CPUs as well--AMD isn't the only one saddled with VIA.

It's not like there aren't good chipsets for AMD though. I'd have to hear a lot of bad things about the ALi chipset to write it off as crap. It's about 2-3% behind the AMD760 chipset performance-wise but offers good stability. Plus, there <i>are</i> AMD761-based motherboards without the VIA southbridge.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."