Changing the Source to Change Starting Equipment

I'm interested in changing the source to nethack and compiling a
version that might have variations to starting equipment. For example,
I'd like to create a Wizard Character that always starts with (a) a
spellbook of knock, wizard lock, or polymorph and (b) a ring of
polymorph, a ring of polymorph control, or a wand of polymorph ... and
then focus gameplay on developing polymorph/matter related magic.

How hard is something like this to do?

>Not difficult at all. It is, of course, cheating,
>since the code currently explicitly tries to prevent
>you starting with poly and poly-control.

Oh, I don't want to give myself *both* at once -- only one of the two
(or the wand of polymorph).

>And remember that after that you're not playing exactly the
>same game as the rest of us, and if you are going to brag
>about your achievements or ask help for problems, you should
>mention what you have changed in the game.

Will do. Although I don't think it's *that* different -- I'm not trying
to get a game that the RNG wouldn't deliver even on some semi-frequent
basis.... you will, periodically, start with, say a Spellbook of Knock
and a Ring of Poly Control, or a Wand of Polymorph and a Spellbook of
Wizard lock. I'm just interested in playing games like this a little
more frequently. :)

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

rostov@mmedia.csoft.net wrote:
> I'm interested in changing the source to nethack and compiling a
> version that might have variations to starting equipment. For example,
> I'd like to create a Wizard Character that always starts with (a) a
> spellbook of knock, wizard lock, or polymorph and (b) a ring of
> polymorph, a ring of polymorph control, or a wand of polymorph ... and
> then focus gameplay on developing polymorph/matter related magic.
>
> How hard is something like this to do?

Not difficult at all. It is, of course, cheating, since the code
currently explicitly tries to prevent you starting with poly and poly-
control.

Have a look-see at ini_inv() and u_init() in u_init.c

HTH

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

"Rostov" <rostov@mmedia.csoft.net> writes:

> I'd like to create a Wizard Character that always starts with (a) a
> spellbook of knock, wizard lock, or polymorph and (b) a ring of
> polymorph, a ring of polymorph control, or a wand of polymorph ... and
> then focus gameplay on developing polymorph/matter related magic.

> How hard is something like this to do?

I haven't tried this, but looks like the source file to edit is
src/u_init.c and specifically the Wizard[] table.
Add rows or change existing ones (see include/onames.h for the name macros
for various objects), and recompile.
If you haven't yet compiled the game yourself, it is a good idea to first
see that you can get it compiled and running before doing any of your own
modifications like that.

And remember that after that you're not playing exactly the same game as
the rest of us, and if you are going to brag about your achievements or
ask help for problems, you should mention what you have changed in the
game.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Rostov wrote:
> I'm interested in changing the source to nethack and compiling a
> version that might have variations to starting equipment. For example,
> I'd like to create a Wizard Character that always starts with (a) a
> spellbook of knock, wizard lock, or polymorph and (b) a ring of
> polymorph, a ring of polymorph control, or a wand of polymorph ... and
> then focus gameplay on developing polymorph/matter related magic.
>
> How hard is something like this to do?

Overall, that probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out (assuming
familiarity with C, of course). Since it's a gameplay change, however,
it is, ultimately, not the same as playing "vanilla" Nethack.

- John H.

_.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Rostov wrote the following -._
> Will do. Although I don't think it's *that* different -- I'm not trying
> to get a game that the RNG wouldn't deliver even on some semi-frequent
> basis.... you will, periodically, start with, say a Spellbook of Knock
> and a Ring of Poly Control, or a Wand of Polymorph and a Spellbook of
> Wizard lock.

Actually the RNG will never start you with that. The code checks to
make sure you never start with poly and poly control.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to