Sign in with
Your question

Never built a pc myself

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2001 5:26:46 PM

So my question would be... after i get all the stuff like the mobo chip etc... do i have to install it in any way before i can use it?

The bios should'n really need any adjustments or does it?

Any other tips you wann give me?

I'm deciding right now to build now or to wait for NForce... leaning towards waiting..

There are only 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not!

More about : built

July 12, 2001 5:37:00 PM

well if you never built a pc before start cheap. $600 for a PC. Well you cant go out and spend $1500 for a system and doesn't work. Well start with this setup:

Duron 800 or 900
128mb PC2100 DDR-SDRAM
Asus a7a266 (magik1)
20gb IBM 60gxp
ATi radeon 32mb DDR or GF2 MX400 32mb
Soundblaster Live! value

Well thats not a bad sytem. Well when you done working all the bugs you can upgrade it easily.

Poly 1.5ghz
386mb PC2100 DDR
Asus a7a266
Another - 20gb ibm 60gxp
Radeon 2 64mb DDR or GF3 64mb
Soundblaster Live! Platium

Then you'll have a faster system and less $$$ cuz if you damage your parts you can replace them easier Duron 800 is around $60 or $70 i think.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2001 5:59:10 PM

well thnx for the try but u really didn't answer any of my questions...

and the system i'm building is already decided, it will be using nforce mobo, a fairly new at the time of building amd cpu, geforce3, 512 DDR pc2100 (i really need that much for my purposes). And hopefully running 20 gig 7200 rpm as main drive and 60/80 gig 5400 rpm for storage.

There are only 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not!
Related resources
July 12, 2001 6:17:57 PM

Im saying build a cheap system then upgrade. You'll blow your money on a GF3 "Radeon 2 could be better and cheaper" and we dont know if the nforce is stable. Well im saying play it safe dont go all out for a system that could suck.

Remember ATi Northwood chipset could support dual channel DDR too...

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
July 12, 2001 6:48:19 PM

I just built my first one and it went very well. The hardware stuff is pretty easy. I got hung up with the FDISK and FORMAT, and loading WIN 98, but I sorted it all out. I am learning still about BIOS. Somehow I just slowed my drives down by 15% with some setting???

At any rate, I would go for it! This page may help you:
<A HREF="http://www.pcguide.com/topic.html" target="_new">http://www.pcguide.com/topic.html&lt;/A>
!