Would Microsoft provide OEM CD-ROM's for.......

Wiggum

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
......those people who only have a recovery CD?

<b>Here is my problem.....</b>

I'm thinking of starting a small, weekend business of optimizing, repairing, and upgrading old PC's, and in many cases, this will require complete reinstallation of software.

But many of my potential customers own big-name computers (eg, IBM, Dell, etc) that only come with a system restore disc, rather than stand-alone CD-ROM's. In other words, the system comes installed with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows, a virus protection suite, and other bundled software, but does not come with the original CD-ROM's. Instead, the user is left with a single CD-ROM (basically a partition replacement program) that can only restore the system to factory defaults.

If I upgrade the computer, this disc will become useless (in many cases). Further, I can't do a lean, custom installation with a system restore disc (again, something my customers are willing to pay extra for). They may want my Windows / Office installtion tweaks, but they sure aren't going to buy the same software again for this benefit.

To my line of thinking, <b>these folks own a license for the software</b>. Aren't they entitled to a copy of the software that isn't compressed into a fixed format?

I'm not asking for a free copy. I would certainly expect to pay for shipping, and perhaps a nominal fee for the discs. And I would likewise expect to provide proof to the software vendor that my customer owns a license.

<b>Does such an exchange program exist, or am I totally pipe dreaming?</b>

In my primary niche (multitrack audio recording), software vendors gladly provide updated CD-ROM's to registered users (for the cost of shipping). And these are not cheap programs. The cheapest software costs a few hundred bucks, and the most expensive can be several thousand.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated. I believe I can run a very small, word-of-mouth business, but without the necessary discs, I'm stuck on the ground.

Thanks in advance,

Wiggum

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can use any copy of Win98 with the appropriate licence. So with THEIR license, you should be able to load THEIR hard drive with YOUR OWN 98SE OEM CD. The license is for the OS, NOT the CD it comes on.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS