Sign in with
Your question

Dual boot problems windows 7 and xp

Last response: in Windows 7
May 12, 2010 12:42:09 AM

Hello and thanks for your time,

I currently have windows 7 pro 64 bit installed on my 300gb 10k raptor. I have partioned the drive into 180/120gb split.

Problem: I put in my xp 32 bit installation disk and get to the installation menu where it shows the hard-drive and partions. It shows my usb stick and it does not show my second empty partion which is formatted with ntfs, it shows some hard-drive but it is not the right size to be either my primary or secondary. So basically I would like some help, I searched the forums and read it is possible to do this and I know it is as I had windows xp 32 and windows 7 64 installed before but before I had xp on the hard-drive first. My bios reads the hard-drive fine the only problem is when I get to the xp install menu. I read that you might need sata drivers to install xp on a partition if you got windows 7 installed first. I am assuming this is the problem because it reads the hard-drive fine on my windows 7 installation disk.

Basically I would like to know does my xp disk have a problem or do I just need to get these "sata drivers".

If the solution is sata drivers can somebody give me a hand. I do not have a floppy drive just a dvd/cd drive and usb sticks. I have a evga 780i SLi motherboard and a western digital 300gb 10k raptor. Where can I get the proper sata drivers help is much appreciated. I plan on buying a new motherboard within the next few weeks as well and want to get my hard-drive working before buying it.

Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2010 2:11:10 AM

You can create a custom bootable WinXP install CD with nLite, which lets you integrate the latest SP and drivers for your motherboard, including the RAID drivers. You need the WinXP CD, SP3 from MS, and the motherboard drivers (chipset, LAN, sound, and RAID driver). You don't need a floppy drive to create the new image or to install the RAID driver.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2010 3:13:55 AM

Zachary1g,

If you do need SATA drivers it is because of your motherboard / chipset. You could always check the manfacturer's website for this information.

When you are booted into Windows 7, and you check disk management, what do you see?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2010 7:14:35 PM

JessicaD said:
Zachary1g,

If you do need SATA drivers it is because of your motherboard / chipset. You could always check the manfacturer's website for this information.

When you are booted into Windows 7, and you check disk management, what do you see?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

No it is not because of my motherboard / chipset as it all showed up just fine when I did not have windows 7 installed. When I am booted in windows 7 I see the disk just fine. When I boot from the xp dvd the drive does not show properly and it is not because of my motherboard it is because of microsoft windows 7 the problem to everything. Apparently if you got windows 7 installed xp wont work unless you got the sata drivers is what I take from this typical microsoft.

treefrog07 said:
You can create a custom bootable WinXP install CD with nLite, which lets you integrate the latest SP and drivers for your motherboard, including the RAID drivers. You need the WinXP CD, SP3 from MS, and the motherboard drivers (chipset, LAN, sound, and RAID driver). You don't need a floppy drive to create the new image or to install the RAID driver.

I will look into nlite is it pretty self explanitory of how to get your sata drivers onto the xp cd and not ruin it? And where would I find these sata drivers for my hard-drive and sp3.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 7:28:21 PM

zachary1g said:
I will look into nlite is it pretty self explanitory of how to get your sata drivers onto the xp cd and not ruin it? And where would I find these sata drivers for my hard-drive and sp3.
The SATA drives will be in SP3.
You won't be altering your actual WinXP CD. You'll make a copy (iso image) of that CD, burning it onto another CD or DVD disk and then slipstream SP3 right into the new install disk you're creating.

Slipstream XP and SP3 using NLite
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 13, 2010 8:24:51 PM

nLite is pretty easy to use, you will just have to tell it where the Service Pack is located, and then the location of your drivers. Your motherboard drivers will be on the CD that accompanied the board, or you can search the board mfr's website to find updated drivers. In either case, copy them to a location on your HDD - nLite will build the image faster.
m
l
!