Samsung SCX-3405W USB problems

passing-by

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Hello,

I recently acquired a samsung printer (SCX 3405W) and installed in on a XP Home platform, Asus Mobo P5QPL-AM, with a Canon LiDE 20 scanner (Usb) and a Microsoft USB mouse, with power supply.

I installed the printer without problems and for the first week had no problem. Until one day I used the Canon Scanner, and then the printer and mouse no longer were recognized by the OS.

After 12 hours of purgatory trying to fix the problem, all I managed to achieve was to get the Samsung printer to work with a PS/2 mouse.

***My question is this: does this printer work with a USB mouse, and how to fix this problem?***

To be more specific...how I fixed the printer problem is this (may be this will give someone an idea about how to fix the USB Mouse problem that arises with this Printer)

To get the printer to work with **a PS/2 mouse** I stumbled upon this solution after many trials and errors:

1. uninstall samsung printer from PRINTER DRIVERS menu

2. uninstall all samsung support software, from add/remove applications menu

3. uninstall all USB devices from the Sistems/Hardware/Periferals menu

4. Uninstall all USB hubs and Human interfaces and USB controllers

5.turn off computer

6. unplug computer from power supply

7. unplug all USB devices and remove USB mouse; add a PS/2 Mouse in a PS/2 port

8. Wait 20+ minutes

9. replug computer into power supply

10. turn on computer

11. let windows reload all usb devices

12. plug printer into power source

13. load samsung cd in drive

14. plug printer USB cable into computer

15. turn on printer

16. run samsung installation (turn on printer just before)

THEN THE PRINTER WORK WORK with the Ps/2 Mouse

passing-by

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
Alas, this method worked only for a few days, then the problem returned.

I noticed that without any USB devices attatched, the XP plug and play was detecting an un recognized periferal. So I disactivated that. I called Samsung for assistance and they WERE EXTREMELY UNINTERESTED IN MY PROBLEM WITH THEIR PRINTER, after they learned I had an ASUS motherboard. Evidently they were aware of issues between their Printer and my Motherboard.

So I got a new USB cable, and tried again: I found only 1 USB port that worked and with the problem perifical disactivated, I suceeded in installing the printer driver and the software from Samsung that goes with the printer.

Then I tried printing a test page.

It did not print. The printer after a long time gave me a time out error, which it kindly printed out on a piece of paper.

Everything I have tried since has not solved the problem.

I WONDER IF THE SAMSUNG PRINTER is burning out my USB ports?

Strangely enough, even though no memory sticks work in any USB port, if I attatched them after windows loads, I got 2 to work, this was:

I turned of the computer, attatched the memory sticks to the USB ports on the front of the tower, and then restared the computer.

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that ASUS motherboard is set to recognized USB devices on boot, prior to Windows.

If so, then the problem might be with some conflict between Windows XP Homes Plug and Play software and the Samsung Printer.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. At least the momentary functionality of the memory sticks enabled me to get a term paper off my computer!

passing-by

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
I owe Samsung a PUBLIC APOLOGY. The fault was not their printer,

It was the MS .Net 3.5 SP1 Framework software

which the CD which came with the Samsung printer contained.

The version from october last year, has a defect which prevents communication with printers using USB ports. The Hot Fix, which was released in Nov., fixed the problem.

All I had to do was to update from the MS official site.

I let Samsung know about this, so they can let their other clients who still use XP know of it.