G

Ok here's my problem. I have a 900mhz Athlon, Abit KT7a mobo and 256 pc133 ram. My computer has been running fine, no problems, nothing. I didn't change around any hardware or anything and then today I wake up, go to turn on the comp and all of a sudden I get is these 1-2 sec long beeps and they go on forever until I turn off the power in the back of the case. No picture appears on the monitor, I thought that it might be the ram so I tried a different stick but stil the same problem. I uplugged everything and took all the parts out and put them back together and still nothing. Then I went to some comp. stores and asked around. One place said that it's maybe the cpu fan, not being detected by the mobo, another place said that maybe the cpu is just fried. All the fans in my comp work fine, but just to be on the safe side I got a new heatsink/fan and tried that out but still same problem.

So now I'm wondering if indeed my cpu is fried. I also tried a different vid card just incase it might have been that but still same problem. Is there a way to tell if a cpu is fried, (smell of something burnt? or some visual indication) cause I didn't smell anything and it seemed to look normal when I was applying the new heatsink/fan.

The stragest part is that I had this exact problem before, (4 months or so ago) but when it happened then I would just turn the power off, fiddle some cables, wait, and turn it back on and it would work. This time though it's not working. I took everything out and put it back and nothing. So I am really lost on this.
Hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Fiddled with what cables? Having something wrong with the cables would make more sense. Did the computer lock up the last time you used it?? I would think if the CPU was fried it would have locked up while you were using it. Any recent electrical storms??

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
I could be wrong, but I believe continuos beeps indicate RAM failure. Most likely your RAM has gone bad. Try new RAM or test your RAM in another system.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

G

When I said fiddled I ment that I made sure that all cables (ide etc.) were pushed in all the way.

And I already tried a 128mb stick that works in my other comp.

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
According to my MB manual long beeps in a continuous loop are related to no RAM or RAM not detected (i don't know if the code is universal). Check the seating of the RAM, try it in different slots. Maybe dust is preventing a good connection.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Also, new(er) motherboards' memory slots tend to be harder to get the memory in. make sure it's seated properly, as stated before....

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed.

G

Ok it was something with the ram. but it's very very strange. I tried yet another stick of ram and it worked, then I tried my regular ram that's inside it and it also worked. So now I'm like ok this is just weird. Then I go today morning and turn on and same problem. then I switch around the rams and it works again. So I think it is the ram, but maybe it's a bad ram slot. funny thing is my ram is running back in the same ram slot that it was running before.

very strange, I'll try to get a replacement mobo.