Should I go with a 40-42" HDTV?

billdo02

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I need a new monitor. I just moved and my old 19" died in the move... it was a glorious death though. My comp will be set up in my room.

I have a 4870 as my graphics card.
I have a blue ray player in my comp.

So my problem is this...
I have read that if you get too big a screen then the text can be very hard to read. But I do need a screen to watch movies on.

Advice?

Solution
The larger the screen and the closer you are to the screen, the greater the amount of pixelation you will see because the pixels themselves are larger. Text can still be legible, but not as sharp.

I have a PC connected to my 47" LG 47LH90 that I use mostly for watching movies from about 8 feet away. Text is a little less clear than on my monitor from about 6 feet away. You need to adjust the sharpness of the HDTV for best results. The pixels in a HDTV is arranged more for shapes and objects than text.

Also, in case you are wondering, 120Hz HDTVs and 120Hz monitors do not operate the same way. 120Hz HDTVs only accepts 60Hz input and the "120Hz" refers to internal video processing to smooth out video playback. It causes increase input...
The larger the screen and the closer you are to the screen, the greater the amount of pixelation you will see because the pixels themselves are larger. Text can still be legible, but not as sharp.

I have a PC connected to my 47" LG 47LH90 that I use mostly for watching movies from about 8 feet away. Text is a little less clear than on my monitor from about 6 feet away. You need to adjust the sharpness of the HDTV for best results. The pixels in a HDTV is arranged more for shapes and objects than text.

Also, in case you are wondering, 120Hz HDTVs and 120Hz monitors do not operate the same way. 120Hz HDTVs only accepts 60Hz input and the "120Hz" refers to internal video processing to smooth out video playback. It causes increase input lag for games; meaning it takes just a little longer for your reactions to be displayed on the screen. Therefore, if you play games you want to the HDTV to operate in 60Hz mode.

Solution