An addition to THe NetHack Object Identification Spoiler b..

Hello all and especially David,

I was thinking that something like this might be added to David's
excelent document: The NetHack Object Identification Spoiler.

Under the heading 'Wands' somewhere in the first paragraph:

Consider wearing an unidentified ring and amulet before engraving so
that if the wand is identified as enlightenment you'll be able to
identify the ring and the amulet.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

    Quoting Topi Linkala <nes@iki.fi>:
    >I was thinking that something like this might be added to David's
    >excelent document: The NetHack Object Identification Spoiler.
    >Under the heading 'Wands' somewhere in the first paragraph:
    >Consider wearing an unidentified ring and amulet before engraving so
    >that if the wand is identified as enlightenment you'll be able to
    >identify the ring and the amulet.

    Earlier on I say;

    Some objects can be identified if you zap a wand (or drink a potion) of
    enlightenment while wearing/carrying them, but the possibilities there are
    too great to number - for instance, one can distinguish flint stones and
    luckstones, but this technique is most useful on uncursed rings and
    amulets.

    but I agree that something could be added in the wands section.

    I think there ought to be a new version before this year's Tournament - I
    shall be needing it then. :-)
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
    Today is First Monday, August.

    David, are you aware of the inability to name certain ordinary objects
    as certain artifacts?

    V'z fher lbh'er njner gung #anzvat n frpbaq ryira qnttre 'Fgvat' jvyy
    pnhfr lbh gb zrff hc. Guvf nyfb jbexf sbe bgure bowrpgf. Vs lbh gel gb
    #anzr na vaqvivqhny (abg gur ragver pynff) tenl fgbar 'Gur Urneg bs
    Nuevzna', vg jvyy snvy vss gur fgbar vf n yhpxfgbar. Gur fnzr vf gehr
    bs uryzf bs oevyyvnapr anzrq 'Gur Zvger bs Ubyvarff' naq nzhyrgf bs RFC
    anzrq 'Gur Rlr bs Nrguvbcvpn'

    Thank you for the great guide! :)

    > I think there ought to be a new version before this year's Tournament - I
    > shall be needing it then. :-)

    I don't know if it's done, but it might not be a bad idea for people who
    generate spoilers to create a post when one has been updated.

    On 24 Aug 2005 00:48:44 GMT, chucko@nil.car wrote:

    >> I think there ought to be a new version before this year's Tournament - I
    >> shall be needing it then. :-)
    >
    >I don't know if it's done, but it might not be a bad idea for people who
    >generate spoilers to create a post when one has been updated.

    Weren't the spoiler regularly posted to rgrn, once upon a time?

    --
    All the best,

    Jove

    Jove wrote:
    > On 24 Aug 2005 00:48:44 GMT, chucko@nil.car wrote:

    >> I don't know if it's done, but it might not be a bad idea for people
    >> who generate spoilers to create a post when one has been updated.

    > Weren't the spoiler regularly posted to rgrn, once upon a time?

    I used to post one daily, when I was maintaining them. If one changed,
    it meant that the new one automatically took over.

    Dylan keeps them now, and he doesn't post them: people can download the
    latest version from http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/ or (zipped)
    http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/spoi-343.tar.gz for the spoilers
    and http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gazetteer.tar.gz for the
    dungeon mappe.

    These zip files are updated automatically, daily.

    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
    > Jove wrote:
    > > On 24 Aug 2005 00:48:44 GMT, chucko@nil.car wrote:
    >
    > >> I don't know if it's done, but it might not be a bad idea for people
    > >> who generate spoilers to create a post when one has been updated.
    >
    > > Weren't the spoiler regularly posted to rgrn, once upon a time?
    >
    > I used to post one daily, when I was maintaining them. If one changed,
    > it meant that the new one automatically took over.
    >
    > Dylan keeps them now, and he doesn't post them:

    Except when updated for new versions, _if_ the changes have been
    significant enough to warrant it. I make enough ongoing minor tweaks,
    additions, clarifications, typo-fixes and general fiddling that
    posting every time I change something would be a Bad Idea.

    > people can download the
    > latest version from http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/ or (zipped)
    > http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/spoi-343.tar.gz

    Tarballed, actually :-) But most people should be able to cope with
    that.

    : "Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both :
    : 'No' and 'Yes' and 'Try another newsgroup'." :
    : -- Usenet Rule 17. :
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Quoting Shawn Moore <sartak@gmail.com>:
    >David, are you aware of the inability to name certain ordinary objects
    >as certain artifacts?

    No, I wasn't. Thanks. I can see that would be useful under some
    circumstances, too.
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
    Today is First Tuesday, August.