An addition to THe NetHack Object Identification Spoiler b..

Hello all and especially David,

I was thinking that something like this might be added to David's
excelent document: The NetHack Object Identification Spoiler.

Under the heading 'Wands' somewhere in the first paragraph:

Consider wearing an unidentified ring and amulet before engraving so
that if the wand is identified as enlightenment you'll be able to
identify the ring and the amulet.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Quoting Topi Linkala <nes@iki.fi>:
>I was thinking that something like this might be added to David's
>excelent document: The NetHack Object Identification Spoiler.
>Under the heading 'Wands' somewhere in the first paragraph:
>Consider wearing an unidentified ring and amulet before engraving so
>that if the wand is identified as enlightenment you'll be able to
>identify the ring and the amulet.

Earlier on I say;

Some objects can be identified if you zap a wand (or drink a potion) of
enlightenment while wearing/carrying them, but the possibilities there are
too great to number - for instance, one can distinguish flint stones and
luckstones, but this technique is most useful on uncursed rings and
amulets.

but I agree that something could be added in the wands section.

I think there ought to be a new version before this year's Tournament - I
shall be needing it then. :)
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Monday, August.

David, are you aware of the inability to name certain ordinary objects
as certain artifacts?

V'z fher lbh'er njner gung #anzvat n frpbaq ryira qnttre 'Fgvat' jvyy
pnhfr lbh gb zrff hc. Guvf nyfb jbexf sbe bgure bowrpgf. Vs lbh gel gb
#anzr na vaqvivqhny (abg gur ragver pynff) tenl fgbar 'Gur Urneg bs
Nuevzna', vg jvyy snvy vss gur fgbar vf n yhpxfgbar. Gur fnzr vf gehr
bs uryzf bs oevyyvnapr anzrq 'Gur Zvger bs Ubyvarff' naq nzhyrgf bs RFC
anzrq 'Gur Rlr bs Nrguvbcvpn'

Thank you for the great guide! :)

> I think there ought to be a new version before this year's Tournament - I
> shall be needing it then. :)

I don't know if it's done, but it might not be a bad idea for people who
generate spoilers to create a post when one has been updated.

On 24 Aug 2005 00:48:44 GMT, chucko@nil.car wrote:

>> I think there ought to be a new version before this year's Tournament - I
>> shall be needing it then. :)
>
>I don't know if it's done, but it might not be a bad idea for people who
>generate spoilers to create a post when one has been updated.

Weren't the spoiler regularly posted to rgrn, once upon a time?

--
All the best,

Jove

Jove wrote:
> On 24 Aug 2005 00:48:44 GMT, chucko@nil.car wrote:

>> I don't know if it's done, but it might not be a bad idea for people
>> who generate spoilers to create a post when one has been updated.

> Weren't the spoiler regularly posted to rgrn, once upon a time?

I used to post one daily, when I was maintaining them. If one changed,
it meant that the new one automatically took over.

Dylan keeps them now, and he doesn't post them: people can download the
latest version from http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/ or (zipped)
http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/spoi-343.tar.gz for the spoilers
and http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gazetteer.tar.gz for the
dungeon mappe.

These zip files are updated automatically, daily.

Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> Jove wrote:
> > On 24 Aug 2005 00:48:44 GMT, chucko@nil.car wrote:
>
> >> I don't know if it's done, but it might not be a bad idea for people
> >> who generate spoilers to create a post when one has been updated.
>
> > Weren't the spoiler regularly posted to rgrn, once upon a time?
>
> I used to post one daily, when I was maintaining them. If one changed,
> it meant that the new one automatically took over.
>
> Dylan keeps them now, and he doesn't post them:

Except when updated for new versions, _if_ the changes have been
significant enough to warrant it. I make enough ongoing minor tweaks,
additions, clarifications, typo-fixes and general fiddling that
posting every time I change something would be a Bad Idea.

> people can download the
> latest version from http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/ or (zipped)
> http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/spoi-343.tar.gz

Tarballed, actually :) But most people should be able to cope with
that.

: "Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both :
: 'No' and 'Yes' and 'Try another newsgroup'." :
: -- Usenet Rule 17. :

Quoting Shawn Moore <sartak@gmail.com>:
>David, are you aware of the inability to name certain ordinary objects
>as certain artifacts?

No, I wasn't. Thanks. I can see that would be useful under some
circumstances, too.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is First Tuesday, August.