Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best gaming/productivity display setup for ~$600?

Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Gaming
  • Productivity
  • Peripherals
  • Product
  • Displays
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 20, 2013 5:35:31 PM

What I have:
A couple years ago I got Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 for a great deal, only $150 during a Newegg christmas sale. I know it's just an old TN display and by today's standards it's probably junk, but personally, I love it. I use it as an external display for my laptops and have done some moderate gaming on it and I'm very pleased.

What I want:
I'm in the process of building a nice gaming desktop with either a GTX 670 or GTX 680 and I'm planning to upgrade my display. I've considered going with a nice IPS 27" display, but I really like the idea of a 3 monitor nvidia surround setup. I prefer this setup largely because of the extra multitasking/productivity potential of multiple displays. However, either way, I'll probably mount my BX2450 on top of the new display(s) for web surfing, cpu monitoring, etc.

The problem:
So while I don't think I have the highest standards of quality, there are a few things that I think would bother me. If I went with a 3 display surround setup, I would definitely want extremely thin bezels. Also, I'm concerned that if I got a nice 27" ips display, my current monitor would look so bad next to it that I wouldn't want to use it and then I'd have to buy another expensive monitor for multitasking. The problem is that I'm having a tough time finding any decent 20-25" monitors with super thin bezels in the $200 range. Another problem with the 1 on 3 setup is mounting options. It seems most monitors aren't VESA and multi-display stands are in the ~$300 range. I suppose I could always sit the bottom 3 on my desk and rig something up for the top display until I can afford a nice stand though.

So I was wondering what the opinions are on 1 nice 27" vs 3 smaller thin bezel monitors for gaming and any product suggestions for either setup. For discussion's sake, lets assume all the games I'll be playing will work with nvidia surround.

More about : gaming productivity display setup 600

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
January 20, 2013 9:41:52 PM

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c...

This monitor has a very thin bezel and is a good quality monitor , I don't think it's wall mountable but the stand looks good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If going with one monitor you can get this one with a 2560x1440 resolution for just under $600.

January 22, 2013 12:57:25 AM

Best answer selected by troygw.
Score
!