Sign in with
Your question

Plz help me to boost my 'puter!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2001 9:10:07 AM

Hey! My first post around here! Though, I've been frequenting this site for a looong time :) 

I have a rather old computer: an AMD K6-2 333MHz, running at 350; AOpen AX59 Pro mainboard (Super7, Via MVP3 chipset); Voodoo3 3000; 128MB PC100 RAM, etc. and now I'm thinking about spicing it up a bit.

The way I see it, the bottleneck right now is the processor, and to upgrade that I'll definately need a new mobo and probably some new and faster memory. Perhaps I also must get a new power-thingy. I'll also get a fan for the CPU.

So I could sure use some pieces of advice on what to get, and why. First I gotta make clear that I'm not willing to spend lots and lots of money on this, so I'm thinking about buying a Duron CPU of about 800MHz and clock it up to about 1GHz.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will 235W power supply be enough, or must I upgrade that too?

2. What kind of cooling system should I get for the CPU and how should I clock it (the CPU)?

3. I'm thinking about getting an ASUS A7V-E KT133 6PCI 1AGP 2DIMM UDMA100 SocketA: Will this mobo fulfill my needs or should I get a better one?

4. Speaking of motherboards... What is the difference between the KT133-chip (which is on the MB above) and the KT133A-chip, which can be fóund on more expensive boards??

5. Any other comments or suggestions? I'd really appreciate them.

Thanks in advance,
Magnus [Sweden]

P.s. The graphics card must wait - I'll stick with the V3 card for now. Can't afford too much stuff :) 

Quote from the Boss: I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you.

More about : plz boost puter

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 13, 2001 1:12:20 PM

1. Will 235W power supply be enough, or must I upgrade that too?
A. No this is not enough go for at least a 300W unit.

2. What kind of cooling system should I get for the CPU and how should I clock it (the CPU)?
A: have a look at toms reviews he did a complete cooler review not so long ago, for the CPU he has also done a detialed explanation on the OC'ing of athlons and durons

3. I'm thinking about getting an ASUS A7V-E KT133 6PCI 1AGP 2DIMM UDMA100 SocketA: Will this mobo fulfill my needs or should I get a better one?
A. This will fulfill your needs for now but this does not leave much of an upgrade path, the A7A would be a much better choice.

4. Speaking of motherboards... What is the difference between the KT133-chip (which is on the MB above) and the KT133A-chip, which can be fóund on more expensive boards??
A. If I remember correctly the KT133A has a 133 mhz FSB and the KT133 only has a 100Mhz FSB

5. Any other comments or suggestions? I'd really appreciate them.

Go for the ALI based MB I have heard of alot less problems with them than alot of the other MB's, also increase your RAM to 256MB and go DDR if you can afford it(same price as sdr form crucial). Once you have your system built save for your graphics card as it will be you major bottle neck

oh and I almost forgot .... Good Luck and have fun

M

if at first you don't succeed , destroy all evidence that you ever tried...
July 13, 2001 2:45:00 PM

I'd go for the Asus A7M266 over the A7A266, but the problem is that you lose your PC100, and have to buy DDR. Small problem, but worth knowing about.

The KT133 I believe can handle a 133 bus, but it's not officially supported. Something like that, a friend of mine has the Abit KT7, with the KT133 chipset. I have the KT7a-RAID, with the KT133a.
The Asus A7M266 is the AMD 761 chipset, which is the currently best performing DDR chipset around.
The Abit KG7 has optional onboard RAID and the AMD 761 chipset. It's another good choice, but expensive.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:
!