Connecting an HP to an LCD TV

xynyx

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
I'm trying to help my dad (who lives in another state) connect his HP Pavilion p6-2127c Desktop (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03353621&lang=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5187028&prodTypeId=12454) to his Samsung LN46B630N1F.

His computer has dvi and vga outs and the TV has hdmi/dvi and vga inputs. Just trying to figure out the best way to connect. Do I get him a dvi to hdmi cable (I'm guessing it would to need to be at least 12' as the tv is in another room) and audio cables? Or do I have him buy a cheap video card with HDMI and then just use a HDMI cable (probably not an ideal option because I'm not sure how comfortable he would be installing the card). Any suggestions on where to buy a dvi to hdmi cable at a decent price??

Thanks,
X

Since DVI does not carry audio you will need hdmi or audio cables to go with the dvi cable.
I would go with the seperate video card because it will benefit in two ways , 1. it will have the hdmi and 2. it will give a better picture on the tv.
Installing a video card is not hard and unless your fater is totaly without mechanical skills he should be able to install a video card.