Minetown run with Tourists

I have been trying several attempts now to do the minetown run with a
Tourist
at level 1. No success yet, just a large pile of tombstones.
With a Healer, I can make the run in about 4 out of 5 attempts, but my army
of tourists...nah. I am using the camera, the E-word, healing potions...

Does anyone have any good advice for me so the trusty tourist Packrat 1
doesnt have to become umpti-grand parent to the Packrat who finally can
make it to the temple?

LasseN

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 03:48:54 +0200, "LasseN" <sjanten@chello.no>
wrote:

>I have been trying several attempts now to do the minetown run with a
>Tourist
>at level 1. No success yet, just a large pile of tombstones.
>With a Healer, I can make the run in about 4 out of 5 attempts, but my army
>of tourists...nah. I am using the camera, the E-word, healing potions...
>
>Does anyone have any good advice for me so the trusty tourist Packrat 1
>doesnt have to become umpti-grand parent to the Packrat who finally can
>make it to the temple?
>
>LasseN

Use of the camera makes the E-word ineffective on that monster.

--
All the best,

Jove

link

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2001

LasseN wrote:
> I have been trying several attempts now to do the minetown run with a
> Tourist
> at level 1. No success yet, just a large pile of tombstones.
> With a Healer, I can make the run in about 4 out of 5 attempts, but my army
> of tourists...nah. I am using the camera, the E-word, healing potions...
>
> Does anyone have any good advice for me so the trusty tourist Packrat 1
> doesnt have to become umpti-grand parent to the Packrat who finally can
> make it to the temple?
>
> LasseN

Get your pet to their large form (i.e. large dog). This is because you
want your pet to be able to survive the Mines without your help. The
safest way to do this is to wait a really long time on dungeon level 1
until the pet finally hits their large form. I would write 'Elbereth'
in the dust a couple times on a square and type n50s (search for 50
turns) alot. Sometimes I would have to write more 'Elbereth's...
sometimes the square gets so full of writing that I move to another
square and write 'Elbereth' there.

Tourists start with alot of food, so between praying and food, you
should easily survive until your pet reaches the large version.
Remember to kill a really low XP monster before praying so that your
alignment is positive.

Find the entrance to the Gnomish Mines. Quaff both your healing
potions to raise your HP. I usually wait until I find the Mines
entrance both quaffing all my healing potions, in case I get blinded by
a magic trap. Saving your healing potions once you are in the Mines
won't help very much because your AC is so high that most monsters
there can 1-shot kill you. So it is better to raise your HP with all
your healing potions to raise the chances of you surviving 1-hit.

Right when you enter the Gnomish Mines, write 'Elbereth' until you
successfully write 'Elbereth'. Then read a scroll of magic mapping.
Look to find a good spot to stand while you wait for your pet to kill
everything. You should be able to see all the dungeon walls since you
read the magic mapping scroll. The ideal spot is a place where
monsters have to be in melee range to be lined up with you. This will
allow you to avoid as many ranged attacks as possible.

Wait for your pet to kill everything around you. Clean up the mess
(Move the weapons onto the Elbereth square and have your pet check if
the armors are cursed). Wear the uncursed armor.

Everytime you turn a new corner in the Gnomish Mines, find an ideal
spot to make an Elbereth square, and wait for your pet to kill
everything. Then repeat the "Clean up the mess" step.

Since you read the magic mapping scroll, you should know where the
downstairs is. You should try to go in a direct path to the
downstairs.

Repeat all this until you reach the Minetown. You should have enough
magic mapping scrolls that you can read one on every Mines level and
Minetown.