YASD, and a really bad streak

This really stunk.

I lost my most recent promising character deep in Gehennom, to Asmodeus.
Come to find out, I didn't have cold resistance. I know I'd eaten a ton
of winter wolf/blue jelly corpses, and I thought I'd gotten the "You
don't feel cold!" message at some point, so I was sure I had it. I don't
recall hearing any gremlins chuckle. Evidently I missed something
somewhere.[1]

It was a wierd fight, and I missed several opportunities to avoid the
whole thing. First of all, Asmodeus offered me the chance to bribe him,
and I gave him a single zorkmid as a deliberate insult. Hey, I had 229
hp, AC -32 (-35 when wearing a shield), wielding +7 Frost Brand
(alternating with +3 Longbow of Diana shooting +6 blessed arrows), and
nothing was touching me. I'd just done the same thing to Baalzebub with
barely a scratch.

Anyway, I'd pulled him downstairs, so now I was standing on the
upstairs, whacking away. And he wasn't going down nearly as fast as I
had expected. He was also teleporting just on the other side of the maze
walls--and I thought he could only teleport to the upstairs, and I was
standing on those. So what gives? He kept trying to zap me with wands,
which were mostly just whizzing by.[1] Eventually, out of eyeshot, he
zapped a wand of digging and dropped down a hole. I went in after him.
After evidently using up his useless wands, all of a sudden, "The
invisible Asmodeus casts a spell. You're covered in frost!" And I lose
over 100 hp. Uh oh. I try to zap cancellation at him. He freezes me
again, and I'm at 11 hp. So I teleport out, hoping to have enough time
to pull my potions of full healing out of my pack (and hoping to hit
where I recalled him teleporting to--which would hopefully be the
stairs). He teleports back next to me, one more spell, and dywypi?

For anyone who wants the gory details, the dump is at
http://alt.org/nethack/dumplog/schoolmann.lastgame.txt
and the final installment can be viewed at
http://alt.org/nethack/ttyrec/schoolmann/2005-08-23.03:39:18.ttyrec

[1] Actually, I just rewatched this ttyrec file. I *did* get the "You
don't feel cold" message, while fighting Asmodeus (turn 45281), when he
zapped a wand of cold at me. So now I really don't know how I lost.

Anyway, it used to be that if I got past the Quest, I had the game in
the bag. Actually, by the time I did Sokoban and the Mines, got a supply
of holy water, and identified my gear, I was pretty confident. But more
recently I've had a string of characters that made it pretty far, only
to get killed. Bob the Tourist made it down to the VS, only to get blown
up on the Castle drawbridge from an elf with a wand of striking. Hawkeye
the Healer choked on a spotted jelly, because he thought he might be
able to get a resistance from it. Another Hawkeye was drowned on the
Quest because he didn't realize that electric eels could drown you.
Ibanez the Samurai got Wand-of-Deathed on the Quest because he had found
no sources of MR or reflection by that point, and it was try the Quest
or fight a hostile Titan.

I know the individual mistakes I made in each game. What I don't know is
why I've suddenly had such a string of developed characters dying.
Anyone else go through that?

--
Kevin Wayne

"I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me."
--Captain Renault

Kevin Wayne wrote:

> I know the individual mistakes I made in each game. What I don't know is
> why I've suddenly had such a string of developed characters dying.
> Anyone else go through that?

All the time. I would say my death distribution is approximately 20%
upto Sokoban, 80% upto the quest, 98% upto the castle. If I make it
through the castle odds are I will ascend. So don't be too disheartened
it sounds like you should make it soon

In article <t6UOe.362$hn4.59505@newshog.newsread.com>,
killedbyafoo@yahoo.com says...

> invisible Asmodeus casts a spell. You're covered in frost!" And I lose
> over 100 hp. Uh oh. I try to zap cancellation at him. He freezes me
> again, and I'm at 11 hp. So I teleport out, hoping to have enough time

After a 100 HP loss I would level teleport away just to figure out
what's going on. Where's your cursed scroll of teleportation or
whatever? I never leave home without it (home being the dungeon,
Gehennom is hell :).
This probably is a case where the good old "when you are below have
your max hp, get outta Dodge". I tend to amend it with, "when loosing
more than 1/3 of max hp in one round, retreat/escape".

> I know the individual mistakes I made in each game. What I don't know is
> why I've suddenly had such a string of developed characters dying.
> Anyone else go through that?

Overconfidence, results in sloppiness. After all, paranoia is the
single best trait you can have in nethack :D. Even if you are unaware
things can drown you for instance, being paranoid thinking that might
be possible is a good way to survive.

Or then it's just Friday the 13th all month for you...

Eskimo

--
//------------------------------
//Remove tämä all the way to and including soomee to mail directly.

lmfback wrote:

> After all, paranoia is the
> single best trait you can have in nethack :D.

NetHack is a good pastime involving patience, paranoia, paralysis,
at times panicking, and a partridge in a pear tree.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On 8/24/05 5:53 AM, lmfback wrote:
> In article <t6UOe.362$hn4.59505@newshog.newsread.com>,
> killedbyafoo@yahoo.com says...
>

>>invisible Asmodeus casts a spell. You're covered in frost!" And I lose
>>over 100 hp. Uh oh. I try to zap cancellation at him. He freezes me
>>again, and I'm at 11 hp. So I teleport out, hoping to have enough time
>

> After a 100 HP loss I would level teleport away just to figure out
> what's going on. Where's your cursed scroll of teleportation or
> whatever? I never leave home without it (home being the dungeon,
> Gehennom is hell :).

Good point. I did have a cursed scroll of teleportation in my bag, where
all good scrolls and potions go in Gehennom. It still would have taken a
turn to get it out (like the !oFH I was trying to use), but if I'd done
it that first turn, I could have gotten away.

I *still* don't understand how I had cold resistance and then lost it. I
know there wasn't a gremlin involved.

> Overconfidence, results in sloppiness. After all, paranoia is the
> single best trait you can have in nethack :D. Even if you are unaware
> things can drown you for instance, being paranoid thinking that might
> be possible is a good way to survive.

True. I also don't have the time for playing that I used to, so my games
are more spread out and I'm not so focused on them.

> Or then it's just Friday the 13th all month for you...

Oddly enough, the game *started* on a Friday the 13th (May).

--
Kevin Wayne

"Stark raving sane."
--Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

On 8/24/05 5:00 AM, Lichen Fodder wrote:
> Kevin Wayne wrote:
>
>> What I don't know is why I've suddenly had such a string of
>> developed characters dying. Anyone else go through that?
>
> All the time. I would say my death distribution is approximately 20%
> upto Sokoban, 80% upto the quest, 98% upto the castle. If I make it
> through the castle odds are I will ascend. So don't be too disheartened
> it sounds like you should make it soon

Thanks. The disheartening thing about it is that I *have* made it,
several times, and all of a sudden I'm *not* making it.

Part of the deal is that I'm trying to ascend every role, so the farther
I get, the more I tend to play characters I wouldn't normally choose.
But that shouldn't matter much in the mid-late game.

--

Panu Lahtinen wrote:
> In article <_Z%Oe.380$hn4.62003@newshog.newsread.com>, Kevin Wayne wrote:
>
> [killed by Asmodeus' cold attack]
>
> > I *still* don't understand how I had cold resistance and then lost it. I
> > know there wasn't a gremlin involved.
>
> This is a long shot, but.. IIRC you had Frosty, which confers cold
> resistance when wielded, as a weapon? Did you by any chance change change
> to another weapon in any point? Could it be that you didn't have cold
> resistance intrinsically, but only from Frosty?

Aaaarrrgghhh! Yes, that must have been it. I *thought* I had intrinsic
cold resistance a long time before, but I never really *knew*. So if I
had just rewielded Frosty..... (sigh).

The funny thing is, what I was worried about the whole time was not
having reflection apart from the Longbow of Diana. So I kept switching
back to that when I wasn't specifically using Frosty. I had also just
gotten my first potion of enlightenment, so I could have used that and
found out I was vulnerable. But then, I probably would have been
wielding Frosty at the time....

Well, anyway, thanks. At least the mystery is solved. Still dunno why
Asmodeus was appearing to teleport, when I had the upstairs covered,
but at least now I know why I died.

--
Kevin Wayne

"How do you know so much about swallows?"
"You have to know these things when you're king."

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> The funny thing is, what I was worried about the whole time was not
> having reflection apart from the Longbow of Diana. So I kept switching
> back to that when I wasn't specifically using Frosty. I had also just
> gotten my first potion of enlightenment, so I could have used that and
> found out I was vulnerable. But then, I probably would have been
> wielding Frosty at the time....

Seems to be pretty late for a first potion of enlightenment. I usually
have a few of them much earlier.

When it's not for trying rings, I enlighten myself in the nude, in a
closet. (Please don't quote me out of context.) That way I'm absolutely
sure I'm looking at the list of my real intrinsics. I go as far as
dropping everything. Foolishness or paranoïa? As I'm not keeping notes
I do that once in a while. At least post mine and sokoban I will do it
once to have an idea what intrinsics I must hunt for. I usually do it
before tackling the quest or the castle (on the rare times I go that
far). After that I drink enlightenment potions only for the stats, but
it's always in the nude, in a closet - just to make sure I didn't lose
any intrinsics. Once I died choking on a black dragon corpse - only to
discover too late that I already had the intrinsic. After that I
decided to put the potions to better use. Enlightenment is the
anti-stupidity potion - in more than one way.

In article <_Z%Oe.380$hn4.62003@newshog.newsread.com>, Kevin Wayne wrote:

[killed by Asmodeus' cold attack]

> I *still* don't understand how I had cold resistance and then lost it. I
> know there wasn't a gremlin involved.

This is a long shot, but.. IIRC you had Frosty, which confers cold
resistance when wielded, as a weapon? Did you by any chance change change
to another weapon in any point? Could it be that you didn't have cold
resistance intrinsically, but only from Frosty?

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",
Twoflower in "The Light Fantastic"

"Kevin Wayne" <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Well, anyway, thanks. At least the mystery is solved. Still dunno why
>Asmodeus was appearing to teleport, when I had the upstairs covered,
>but at least now I know why I died.

Because covetous monsters who cannot teleport *to* the stairs (because
they're occupied) will instead teleport to locations *near* the stairs.
\_\/_/ meteorites are outta sight but this one's place is in outer space
\ / if you wanna know i'll tell you why it's cause radiation makes you die
\/ -- Zombina and the Skeletones, "Meteorite"

On 8/24/05 8:23 PM, nonobots wrote:

> When it's not for trying rings, I enlighten myself in the nude, in a
> closet. (Please don't quote me out of context.)

Why, I wouldn't think of it!

--
Kevin Wayne

"I enlighten myslf in the nude, in a closet."
--nonobots

On 8/24/05 8:47 PM, Martin Read wrote:
> "Kevin Wayne" <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Well, anyway, thanks. At least the mystery is solved. Still dunno why
>>Asmodeus was appearing to teleport, when I had the upstairs covered,
>>but at least now I know why I died.
>

> Because covetous monsters who cannot teleport *to* the stairs (because
> they're occupied) will instead teleport to locations *near* the stairs.

Really? I never noticed it. I've often used the trick of luring them
downstairs, and usually, *whack whack whack* and they're gone.

Of course, I prefer player types that can #twoweapon.

--
Kevin Wayne

"It isn't particularly *my* beloved Paris."
--Rick Blaine

Martin Read wrote:

> Because covetous monsters who cannot teleport *to* the stairs (because
> they're occupied) will instead teleport to locations *near* the
stairs.

In my experience, they don't. If they have no place to go, they won't
teleport. I am quite sure of this, since I once had TWO of those
monsters on one level, and while one was healing, the other didn't leave
me.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>In my experience, they don't. If they have no place to go, they won't
>teleport. I am quite sure of this, since I once had TWO of those
>monsters on one level, and while one was healing, the other didn't leave
>me.

My experience seems to be broader... or, I may be confusing
teleport-to-stairs and teleport-near-player, now that I think about
it.

I certainly *have* seen named demons teleport to squares the other side of a
wall from me when I was standing on the up stairs fighting them, ending
up with a situation that looked something like:

--- |
|@|&|
|.| |
| |
-----

And no, I was not displaced or invisible at the time.

Martin Read wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>> In my experience, they don't. If they have no place to go, they won't
>> teleport. I am quite sure of this, since I once had TWO of those
>> monsters on one level, and while one was healing, the other didn't
>> leave me.

> I certainly *have* seen named demons teleport to squares the other
> side of a wall from me when I was standing on the up stairs fighting
> them, ending up with a situation that looked something like:

> --- |
> |@|&|
> |.| |
> | |
> -----

This I have experienced as well.

I believe demons will teleport towards your vicinity when they have
plenty of HP, and they may even teleport randomly when they are already
near you, suddenly standing on another side of you (at least, that's
what a peaceful demon seems to do when you get one by own-race
summoning).

When they are low on HP, though, I think they can only teleport to the
upstairs to heal. If that spot happens to be occupied, they cannot heal.

Which would make for another new tactic/trick, copyrighted by me, but
free to modify for your own needs as per the GNU licence:

When you enter a level with creatures that may teleport to the
upstairs to heal
themselves, like the Wizard of Yendor, use a cursed scroll of genocide
on blue
jellies standing next to the upstairs before you explore that level
and wake up
the offending monster. The upstairs are now occupied by a blue jelly
(which will
not move away), and the monster cannot escape to heal itself.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

In article <deke3l$bvq$1@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, Boudewijn Waijers says...
> When you enter a level with creatures that may teleport to the
> upstairs to heal themselves, like the Wizard of Yendor, use a cursed
> scroll of genocide on blue jellies standing next to the upstairs
> before you explore that level and wake up the offending monster. The
> upstairs are now occupied by a blue jelly (which will not move away),
> and the monster cannot escape to heal itself.

Putting a boulder there would be cheaper, although a Giant could still move it.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:05:13 GMT, Kevin Wayne
<killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

<Tales of woe snipped>

>I know the individual mistakes I made in each game. What I don't know is
>why I've suddenly had such a string of developed characters dying.
>Anyone else go through that?

Oh yes. Yes yes yes. Finally decided to ascend my next game
to prove I still had it. I did ascend it, but finding a +2
shield of reflection and an amulet of poison resistance before
Sokoban or the Mines (and Sokoban had the BoH) made it seem too
easy. (A wizard with reflection and poison resistance should go
far.)

My next game I was hadn't gone deeper than Dlvl 14 but had a
level 30 wiz with all spells, the Eye of Aethiopica, silver
dragon scale mail, a helm of brilliance, +7 Magicbane, etc, etc.
Ascended that one too. So I still had all my skills except the
important one: focus.

Having a sense of dread everytime you start up Nethack helps a
lot.

--
All the best,

Jove

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:02:18 GMT, Kevin Wayne
<killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 8/24/05 5:53 AM, lmfback wrote:
>> In article <t6UOe.362$hn4.59505@newshog.newsread.com>,
>> killedbyafoo@yahoo.com says...
>>

>>>invisible Asmodeus casts a spell. You're covered in frost!" And I lose
>>>over 100 hp. Uh oh. I try to zap cancellation at him. He freezes me
>>>again, and I'm at 11 hp. So I teleport out, hoping to have enough time
>>

>> After a 100 HP loss I would level teleport away just to figure out
>> what's going on. Where's your cursed scroll of teleportation or
>> whatever? I never leave home without it (home being the dungeon,
>> Gehennom is hell :).
>
>Good point. I did have a cursed scroll of teleportation in my bag, where
>all good scrolls and potions go in Gehennom. It still would have taken a
>turn to get it out (like the !oFH I was trying to use), but if I'd done
>it that first turn, I could have gotten away.

Elbereth? Since potions and scrolls need to be kept in a bag
because of Gehennom's fire traps, wands of fire/lightning to
engrave a permanent Elbereth seem to be a must.

>I *still* don't understand how I had cold resistance and then lost it. I
>know there wasn't a gremlin involved.

Were there any rings involved? Taking off a ring of cold
resistance is the only thing that comes to mind.

>> Overconfidence, results in sloppiness. After all, paranoia is the
>> single best trait you can have in nethack :D. Even if you are unaware
>> things can drown you for instance, being paranoid thinking that might
>> be possible is a good way to survive.
>
>True. I also don't have the time for playing that I used to, so my games
>are more spread out and I'm not so focused on them.

Exactly. No matter how many hitpoints your characters has, you
can't play Nethack on autopilot. Well, I can't, anyway.

--
All the best,

Jove

On 8/25/05 8:56 PM, Jove wrote:

> Elbereth? Since potions and scrolls need to be kept in a bag
> because of Gehennom's fire traps, wands of fire/lightning to
> engrave a permanent Elbereth seem to be a must.

I generally don't use Elbereth; but Elbereth-fearing monsters can still
throw things at you when you're on the E-word. I would assume they could
still cast spells at you as well.

> Kevin Wayne wrote:
>> I *still* don't understand how I had cold resistance and then lost
>> it. I know there wasn't a gremlin involved.
>
> Were there any rings involved? Taking off a ring of cold resistance
> is the only thing that comes to mind.

I think Panu Lahtinen nailed it. I had cold resistance when I was
wielding Frosty; didn't when I wasn't.

> No matter how many hitpoints your characters has, you can't play
> Nethack on autopilot. Well, I can't, anyway.

I guess it's too much to hope for a healthy balance this side of
obsession. :)

--
Kevin Wayne

"You stay here, and make sure he doesn't leave."
--Lord of Swamp Castle

In article <MPG.1d7802c64a6a87a19896ac@news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk says...
> In article <deke3l$bvq$1@news3.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, Boudewijn Waijers says....
> > When you enter a level with creatures that may teleport to the
> > upstairs to heal themselves, like the Wizard of Yendor, use a cursed
> > scroll of genocide on blue jellies standing next to the upstairs
> > before you explore that level and wake up the offending monster. The
> > upstairs are now occupied by a blue jelly (which will not move away),
> > and the monster cannot escape to heal itself.
> >

> Putting a boulder there would be cheaper, although a Giant could still move it.

How about a scroll of scare monster? The E-word (boy, THAT would be
cheap)?

Eskimo

--
//------------------------------
//Remove tämä all the way to and including soomee to mail directly.
//Ascended:W,V (genopolywish),P(ill ath), T,K,H,S,B,C,P,W
(naked),Ro,Ra,A,W,almost pacifist A
//In progress:pAIN

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:47:41 -0500, Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> scribed
into the ether:

>On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:05:13 GMT, Kevin Wayne
><killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> <Tales of woe snipped>
>
>>I know the individual mistakes I made in each game. What I don't know is
>>why I've suddenly had such a string of developed characters dying.
>>Anyone else go through that?
>

> Oh yes. Yes yes yes. Finally decided to ascend my next game
>to prove I still had it. I did ascend it, but finding a +2
>shield of reflection and an amulet of poison resistance before
>Sokoban or the Mines (and Sokoban had the BoH) made it seem too
>easy. (A wizard with reflection and poison resistance should go
>far.)
>
> My next game I was hadn't gone deeper than Dlvl 14 but had a
>level 30 wiz with all spells, the Eye of Aethiopica, silver
>dragon scale mail, a helm of brilliance, +7 Magicbane, etc, etc.
>Ascended that one too. So I still had all my skills except the
>important one: focus.
>
> Having a sense of dread everytime you start up Nethack helps a
>lot.

Whenever I need to feel dread at starting up Nethack, I just...play
Nethack! Tonight, I started the maze with a money pile in my room. Seemed
like a decent omen, so I took a step to go collect it, fell into a
trapdoor, pet came down with me, I took one more step, and I activated a
boulder trap, pet activated an arrow trap. Pet gets hit by arrows, boulder
misses me, hits pet, pet dies.

"You feel pretty bad about your pet dying like that"... #quit

3 moves. Shortest nethack game EVAR!

Yea, the dread part is pretty easy.

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> writes:

> Whenever I need to feel dread at starting up Nethack, I just...play
> Nethack! Tonight, I started the maze with a money pile in my room. Seemed
> like a decent omen, so I took a step to go collect it, fell into a
> trapdoor, pet came down with me, I took one more step, and I activated a
> boulder trap, pet activated an arrow trap. Pet gets hit by arrows, boulder
> misses me, hits pet, pet dies.
>
> "You feel pretty bad about your pet dying like that"... #quit
>
> 3 moves. Shortest nethack game EVAR!

Instead of #quitting, why not play on and get some valuable experience
in managing without your god's help until you can mollify him? If
you're as doomed as you think you are, it won't take long to die, and
if you're not, you'll learn something about coping with difficult
situations.
Eva.

--
Eva Myers, Computer Officer, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge
Email: erm1001@cam.ac.uk WWW: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/

In article <MPG.1d78d140a863965a9899ce@news.lmf.ericsson.se>, lmfback says...

> How about a scroll of scare monster? The E-word (boy, THAT would be
> cheap)?
>
> Eskimo

I forget where I read it, but IIRC teleporting monsters will 'port to stairs
even if the E-word is engraved there. Rodney always ignores E anyway.

On 26 Aug 2005 14:10:56 +0100, Eva Myers <erm1001@cam.ac.uk> scribed into
the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> writes:
>
>> Whenever I need to feel dread at starting up Nethack, I just...play
>> Nethack! Tonight, I started the maze with a money pile in my room. Seemed
>> like a decent omen, so I took a step to go collect it, fell into a
>> trapdoor, pet came down with me, I took one more step, and I activated a
>> boulder trap, pet activated an arrow trap. Pet gets hit by arrows, boulder
>> misses me, hits pet, pet dies.
>>
>> "You feel pretty bad about your pet dying like that"... #quit
>>
>> 3 moves. Shortest nethack game EVAR!
>
>Instead of #quitting, why not play on and get some valuable experience
>in managing without your god's help until you can mollify him?

I almost never pray as it is. And I was trying for the protection racket.

> If you're as doomed as you think you are, it won't take long to die, and
>if you're not, you'll learn something about coping with difficult
>situations.

Not so much with the doom, and more "Well, that negates the entire purpose
for playing this round.". I've been sans-pet and with my god pissed at me
before, usually both at the same time. I did find out one time that a) my
god was pissed at me, and b) praying to pissed gods at coaligned altars
makes unholy water at the same time though :)