Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 cpu crashed and boot disk is unavailable Can I install Windows 8 upgra

Last response: in Windows 7
January 25, 2013 1:37:59 PM

I have Windows 7 installed on a Gateway Desktop. I got a virus on it and it crashes (blue screen) after bootup but I can operate it in safe mode. Windows 7 boot disk is unavailable for my CPU. Can I buy an Upgrade Windows 8 disk to install on my CPU without it having any more issues?

**I have already purchased the virus software. **
a b $ Windows 7
a c 93 à CPUs
a b * Windows 8
January 25, 2013 1:58:42 PM

how old is the desktop?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 2:17:58 PM

Upgrading to Windows 8 isn't going to eliminate the Virus unless you format the hard drive and then you wouldn't need the virus software. What do you mean by "Windows 7 boot disk is unavailable for my CPU"? You don't have to upgrade to Windows 8 to fix your PC. Did your PC come with Windows 7? If so, the PC case (tower) should have a sticker containing the Windows Key. Just borrow a Windows 7 disk and re-install Windows 7. You need the same version that is currently installed. Example: Windows 7 Home Premium.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2013 2:42:38 PM

Hi,

The simplest would be to reinstall win 7:

1- backup your data (download a rescue disk or boot cd : hiren, windows ultimate boot cd) and backup data : my documents and such)
2- format reinstall

should get rid off all problems.
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:28:23 PM

I don't have a boot disk for Windows 7 and Gateway no longer issues them for my PC. I really just want to get rid of the virus.

m
l
!